Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
Alan Newson
Alan Newson began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Which Readers Should Be Considered?

Hi, I'm new to eBooks but my employers want to offer them as part of our marketing collateral. I'm not sure if this request is possible, but could anyone help me with the most common file types, and their respective readers? At the moment, I've got to ePUBs and mobi for the file formats, and to purchase an iPad and Kindle (original) to test them. But I'd really appreciate any advice on other file types I should consider, or any other readers that should be considered if they handle files differently? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Alan Newson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would not get a Kindle Original, I have no idea how easy it is to find a K1. I have one but I am not willing to part with it...

It really depends on what you are going to be reading on the device. If you are rading PDFs for work I would go with a tablet of some sort. If you are reading technical books I would still go with a tablet of some sort.

As for reading regular books, the file format really doesn't matter. There are more stores you can shop at for mainstream titles for EPubs but they are all priced the same, thanks to Agency pricing, and the selection is still a little less then what Amazon has under its one roof.

The Kindle allows you to utilize Amazons massive e-book store, largest selection at this time. You can also buy from pretty much any independent bookstore because they sell Mobi and EPub to cover all of the e-readers.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
File formats you want are ePub, Mobi and PDF. That should cover pretty much all the popular devices. The iPad isn't really the best test for how ePubs will be rendered on Adobe RMSDK-based e-ink readers (although you definitely want to test your ePub on iBooks). I suggest getting a Nook or similar e-ink reader to see how the ePub would be rendered. Alternately, you could also test the ePub on the Adobe Digital Editions application on a computer.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best readers, common files types