Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-23-2021, 06:03 AM   #1
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
EPUB Series Catalog with descriptions only for books in series?

I have a Tolino Vision 5 eReader that doesn’t show the series and series index. I export series into separate folders on the device, to create what Tolino calls "collections". Now—when reading books from a series—I never know which is next in reading sequence.

So I thought I’d create an EPUB "Series Catalog" that only contains "Series" and "Description". It works rather well (I can lookup which book is next in a series and read its description) but creates an enormously large catalog, since all (nearly 1,000) descriptions of all my books are included.

Is there an easy way to only include the descriptions for the books that are in a series (i.e., have a non-empty "series" entry)?

Attached are my current "Generate catalog" settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generate catalog_001.png
Views:	136
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	189777  
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Don't you need a Title since there is no actual Description for Series (in Calibre) and the jumble of many books in a single series would be pretty useless?

Catalog respects the current view.
So series:true should only contain those books
If you don't want Covers, you might consider using the CLI calibredb --list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Repeating what theducks said: search for all books with a series (series:true) then create the catalog.

Alternatively, abandon the catalog and use a plugboard (Preferences / Plugboards) to put the series into the title when you send the book to the Tolino. Something like this
Code:
{title} {series:|(|}{series_index:| [|])}
will make the title for the book be
Code:
Title (Series [Index])
Put the series first if you want the Tolino to sort by series then Title.

EDIT: Or leave off the series name if they are always in collections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	189779  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
This is how I do it so that the series are all lined up first...
{#second_series}{#second_series_index:0>5.2f| [|] }{title}

(I have a second series column with shortened series names so that they aren't too long in the title, ex. The Dresden Files=Dresden

you end up with "Dresden [01.00] Storm Front"

Having that floating point means you get perfect alignment.

You can put this in the send to device plugin area
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Thanks for all the hints!

I wasn’t aware that I could use "series:true"—this is the solution I now use, reducing the catalog from 9.3 to 7.1 MB (I must have too many series!).

So my actual search before creating a series catalog now looks like
Code:
series:true and search:"=Exclude books tagged no-transfer"
because I want to exclude books that I don’t usually copy over to the device. (Those have a tag "no-transfer" and are usually text books, manuals and test files.)

Last edited by Moonbase59; 11-15-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalog, series