Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3 + Kindle keyboard
Translation (the process) of an ebook

Hi!

Can someone tell me how to translate an epub or rather a mobi file into another language? With which programs can I do the translation?

I mean like translating docx files with the help of a translation memory software.

So I don't want to use MT (machine translation) but rather TM software.

Or should I convert it to docx and then I can translate that file?

Thanks for your replies.
ntamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntamas View Post
Can someone tell me how to translate an epub or rather a mobi file into another language?
Simply unzip the epub file and translate the following:
  1. All HTML files
  2. The NCX file
  3. The OPF file
However, it might be easier to simply translate the .docx file file that the epub was generated from and to re-generate the translated book.

Quote:
With which programs can I do the translation?
You'll need to use a CAT program.

I'd recommend Heartsome Translation Studio 8.0, which was GPLed by the developer a couple of years ago. (Download HSStudio_UE_8_3_1_Win_x64_JRE.zip from the Dropbox folder, if you have a 64bit Windows machine.)
If you want to translate the epub files, you'll have to change the file extension of the .opf and .ncx files to .xml and all HTML files will need to have an .html extension.

If you find Heartsome Translation Studio 8.0 too complicated also check out OmegaT, which is somewhat easier to use.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Workshop forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
it might be easier to simply translate the .docx file file that the epub was generated from
I'm not able to do that because I bought it in epub format. So there is no docx file.

Thank you but:

Quote:
Download HSStudio_UE_8_3_1_Win_x64_JRE.zip from the Dropbox folder
Where is that folder at all? I haven't found that file nor a binary executable.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Where is that folder at all? I haven't found that file nor a binary executable.
  1. Visit the Heartsome Translation Studio 8.0 Github website.
  2. Double-click the Dropbox link.
  3. Download HSStudio_UE_8_3_1_Win_x64_JRE.zip.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
ntamas
Zealot

Sorry, I only skimmed over it.