Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #31
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
Looks like Amazon has pulled the 5.14.3 firmware due to issues. (battery?) The download page now shows 5.14.2. Of course those of us who upgraded are kinda stuck since there is no way to downgrade.

EDIT: I have noticed that wikipedia lookups have been failing since upgrade to 5.14.3.

Last edited by LessPaul; 05-06-2022 at 12:38 PM.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #32
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I haven’t had any battery issues with my PW5. I haven’t seen any issues that I have identified. I am sure they will either fix the issues and repost it or replace it with a newer update soon.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #33
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
from goodereader.com...

Apparently, there were some serious problems with this update and prompted Amazon to stop the automatic firmware update process and and delete all of the patch notes. They have rolled back to the firmware update 5.14.2 and will likely release a new update sometime in the next few weeks.

link

Stefano
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:41 PM   #34
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
By choosing to install the firmware from their website instead of waiting for it to arrive on your Kindle you are making yourself a beta tester.
My beef with that is that they made it appear to be a security issue fix at the time. If that weren't the case I definitely would not have downloaded the new firmware. I would have waited for the normal rollout as I have almost always done in the past.

Luckily I have not seen any of the adverse effects of 5.14.3 as others have reported.
Gripweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:23 PM   #35
davedeacon
Enthusiast
davedeacon began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite Kindle 5 11th gen 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
Looks like Amazon has pulled the 5.14.3 firmware due to issues. (battery?) The download page now shows 5.14.2. Of course those of us who upgraded are kinda stuck since there is no way to downgrade.

EDIT: I have noticed that wikipedia lookups have been failing since upgrade to 5.14.3.
They're still working for me (Kindle 11th gen 2021).
davedeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #36
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I installed 5.14.3 hoping that it fixes the battery problem I've noticed after the updated UI became activated. But now I think the battery life on my kindle is actually worse than that.

I guess I'm part of the unlucky ones.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #37
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
I Wonder whether the issue with opening a book to a blank page is the issue.
Thus the reply from May 2, 2022 that "Our technical team is aware of this issue and is still working on a resolution." might be related to Amazon's rolls back to firmware 5.14.2

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...ok-not-opening

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...white-10th-gen

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...o-a-blank-page

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...-been-reported
Amazon's acknowledge
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:10 PM   #38
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilon View Post
I Wonder whether the issue with opening a book to a blank page is the issue.
Thus the reply from May 2, 2022 that "Our technical team is aware of this issue and is still working on a resolution." might be related to Amazon's rolls back to firmware 5.14.2

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...ok-not-opening

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...white-10th-gen

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...o-a-blank-page

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...-been-reported
Amazon's acknowledge
I have the PW5 and haven’t seen any issues with this latest firmware update. No battery life issues, no issues with my books. But my books mostly come from Kindle unlimited
Old 05-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #39
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update on my battery life

I charged my Kindle yesterday up to 80%. Now it's down to 26%. I didn't even use it that much.

So if Amazon could move a bit faster in releasing the supposed bug fixes...
Old 05-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #40
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Update on my battery life

I charged my Kindle yesterday up to 80%. Now it's down to 26%. I didn't even use it that much.

So if Amazon could move a bit faster in releasing the supposed bug fixes...
What Kindle do.you have. At the time i.updated my PW5 my Kindle's Battery was at 75% this morning it is at 70% I read on it everyday for at least 30 minutes. And I updated the day the update was first.posted. My PW5 has an wonderful battery life.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #41
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
What Kindle do.you have. At the time i.updated my PW5 my Kindle's Battery was at 75% this morning it is at 70% I read on it everyday for at least 30 minutes. And I updated the day the update was first.posted. My PW5 has an wonderful battery life.
basic 10th.

It doesn't have a good battery life to begin with, but I noticed the battery drained faster after the 5.14.2 UI was enabled by Amazon. I installed 5.14.3 thinking it would be fixed, but it got worse

In hindsight, I should've just bought a pw4. I've heard great things about its battery life. pw5 was kinda out of my budget.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #42
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
basic 10th.

It doesn't have a good battery life to begin with, but I noticed the battery drained faster after the 5.14.2 UI was enabled by Amazon. I installed 5.14.3 thinking it would be fixed, but it got worse

In hindsight, I should've just bought a pw4. I've heard great things about its battery life. pw5 was kinda out of my budget.
I had a PW4 and the battery life wasn’t very good. Now the PW5 is great and I love the extra screen size.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:31 AM   #43
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Now I have a battery drain problem with my KO3. It's a shame there is no way to downgrade :/
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #44
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by joh77 View Post
Now I have a battery drain problem with my KO3. It's a shame there is no way to downgrade :/
Hi, see here

Stefano
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #45
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I had a PW4 and the battery life wasn’t very good. Now the PW5 is great and I love the extra screen size.
I'm seeing not so great stuff now with the pw4

A mini update on my Kindle's battery life. I now charge every 2 days. Amazon better hurry up on releasing that fix.