Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-16-2022, 04:45 AM   #1
quarkpott
quarkpott began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which custom columns do you use?

Hello,

I use Calibre to manage my home library of paper books. I have now been thinking which one columns would be useful to describe a book well. So far I only use price, location and page number.
What other columns do you use?
quarkpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:52 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I also use Calibre to manage my paper library with stub files, as well as my ebooks.

This is the metadata I track. I have been thinking of adding a word count for the novel, but haven't got around to doing that yet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	192792  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2022, 05:09 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkpott View Post
Hello,

I use Calibre to manage my home library of paper books. I have now been thinking which one columns would be useful to describe a book well. So far I only use price, location and page number.
What other columns do you use?
A rather useful column is ayes/no column for Read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:04 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I prefer a Date for read ( also use Year 2000 to mark abandoned)

I also have columns for the Count Pages PI
2 others I have T/F Verified (EPUB), where it passes the Debug part of the Editor and a date that I do (clean/tweak to my style) Edits. Blank is not done.

BTW I use tri-state T/F. T pass, F failed (not fixed) blank NOT Verified

IMHO Lean and Mean. don't make a column for something a saved search can show. Blank can have a meaning (there is a place in the Add your own columns form for notes. use it )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:37 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Here's how it looks for me.

Name:	2022-03-16 07_27_38-Edit metadata.png
Views:	302
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	192796

1. I use a 0-byte 'paperbook' file to filter my physical books.

2. I use a custom 'ratings' column in order to use a 10-point scale instead of the default 5-point one.

3. I use an integer #percentread and a template that converts them into a reading status. But it's easier to just use a boolean like JSWolf suggested.

4. Knowing when a book was last read is useful sometimes.

5. Chapter, page, and wordcounts, though for obvious reason I skip wordcounts for paper books.

6. Book type: I have Fiction, Nonfiction, Fanfiction, Comics, Magazines & Periodicals, and Documentation & Manuals. This mostly is for sorting into virtual libraries.

7. Some Kobo-specific columns. This is for eBooks on my device.

8. Filedate and filename are also for eBooks -- I get them automatically with a plugin.

I also have a bunch of fanfic-specific columns and one specific to documentation/manuals, but I hid them for the screenshot.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-16-2022 at 08:36 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #6
quarkpott
quarkpott began at the beginning.

Device: none
@Karellen: Movie sounds like a very interesting column, I like it.
@JSWolf: Oh yes, I didn't even think of that - very useful of course
@theducks: On a date for read I've never really found anything, but maybe I'll include it anyway.
@ownedbycats: I'll definitely record the number of chapters, I'll have to take a closer look at the rest.

@All: Thanks a lot to you guys, I can definitely do quite a bit with this.
But I am still open to further ideas.
That I have not come to the read column is almost embarrassing.
quarkpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Page count, Reading status, Device column (which devices a book is on, if any), From (where I acquired the book), Price.

I also have a few composite columns to use for catalogs and a custom series column for numbering the many omnibus editions in my library (I don't want to split them).

I don't have any columns for editing status, as I don't need them. If a book has no page count, it's not been edited yet and that's easy to see at a glance. I only use a custom page count and run it after I've finished editing metadata and formatting.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #8
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
1. I use a 0-byte 'paperbook' file to filter my physical books.
I use a Yes/No column for that.

Quote:
2. I use a custom 'ratings' column in order to use a 10-point scale instead of the default 5-point one.
How did you change from 5 to 10-point rating scale?
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
How did you change from 5 to 10-point rating scale?
You can't do it with the default column. So I created a custom rating-type column with "allow half stars" enabled.

Name:	2022-03-16 11_10_02-Edit custom column.png
Views:	221
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	192800

Then I used search & replace to copy over existing ratings and swapped the columns around in the book list.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-16-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can't do it with the default column. So I created a custom rating-type column with "allow half stars" enabled.

Attachment 192800

Then I used search & replace to copy over existing ratings and swapped the columns around in the book list.
Sorry. I misunderstood you statement.
I thought you were saying that the ratings would vary from 0 to 10.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:31 AM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Sorry. I misunderstood you statement.
I thought you were saying that the ratings would vary from 0 to 10.
Yes. Half-stars give you a 10-point scale.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-03-16 11_31_11-Edit Metadata.png
Views:	166
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	192801  
Old 03-16-2022, 10:36 AM   #12
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
I mean, the value varies from 0 to 5, using a 0.5 increase.
I thought you meant the value would varie from 0 to 10.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

It displays as 1-5 stars, but the database stores it as whole numbers.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-16-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:54 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Why not just do a 10 star column (if possible)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not just do a 10 star column (if possible)?
I assumed compatibility reasons, seeing as you can toggle half-stars off and on at will. There's some oddities about how it's stored in the database, too.