Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
CNET: Borders' Kobo eReader hurt by Nook's new price

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20010200-1.html

Borders has tried to respond to those price cuts by throwing in a $20 gift card with the Kobo--which is good--but the problem is that both the Nook and the Kindle outclass the Kobo. Not that the Kobo is a bad little e-reader--it isn't--but the text on the 800x600-pixel e-ink screen could pop a little more (it's just not as dark as it is on competing models, including the $150 Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-300, which has a smaller 5-inch screen).
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
As I mentioned in another thread regarding the Kobo's price, the Kobo is very popular here in Australia as it is;

1. Locally available and supported.

2. The only other accessible competitor is the Kindle 2 which works out to be more expensive and is store locked to Amazon which is highly geo restrictive.

3. Comparatively priced competitors such as the Nook and the Sony range are far harder to buy locally and for the majority of ereader users simply too difficult to purchase.

While the Kobo is so popular here in Australia with demand still exceeding supply, the price will not come down from the AU$199 RRP. However with Sony re-entering the domestic market in August, the price may come down depending on what Sony set for the sale of the PRC-300/PRC-600 ereaders.

Wait and see time now!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
As I mentioned in another thread regarding the Kobo's price, the Kobo is very popular here in Australia as it is;

2. The only other accessible competitor is the Kindle 2 which works out to be more expensive and is store locked to Amazon which is highly geo restrictive.

3. Comparatively priced competitors such as the Nook and the Sony range are far harder to buy locally and for the majority of ereader users simply too difficult to purchase.

While the Kobo is so popular here in Australia with demand still exceeding supply, the price will not come down from the AU$199 RRP. However with Sony re-entering the domestic market in August, the price may come down depending on what Sony set for the sale of the PRC-300/PRC-600 ereaders.

Wait and see time now!
Ahhh, Australia. My beloved sunburnt country, where options suck and make you want to visit America, if only for the shopping.

As a lefty, the Kobo quickly became unappealing. Price and ease of availability or not. I genuinely think it's a problem to have the controls on one side and one side only, especially when it's the page turn controls. And a lot of e-book readers do this. That being said. I'm glad Kobo is here, mostly, because people will get SOME idea about what an ereader is. Kindles aside.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Got this thread something to do with PocketBook ?
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
Got this thread something to do with PocketBook ?
That, I have no idea. I skip around forums while I'm replying to threads so I don't notice where people post things half the time xD

Maybe a mod should shift it?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post

As a lefty, the Kobo quickly became unappealing.
So am I

I guess I have learned to do a lot of things with my off hand as well. My Sony reader has the controls in the middle under the screen which makes it easier to use. But I had to go through hoops to get that into Australia!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
nashira
Addict

Quote:
So am I

I guess I have learned to do a lot of things with my off hand as well. My Sony reader has the controls in the middle under the screen which makes it easier to use. But I had to go through hoops to get that into Australia!
Yeah I know. Hoops. Etc. The same old for pretty much anything not quite mainstream or that we got forgotten for by the manufacturer. It's very tiresome.

Kobo still hasn't convinced me, though. When I can import a better device, for a little more.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
In Canada, Kobo will do very well. Nook is irrelevant; Kindle legitimizes the market ... Kobo has the opportunity at significantly lower price to establish a beach head.

Quote:

And this applies to Canada, as well. Effectively, the choice is between the Sony devices (at higher cost and NOT sold in bookstores), Kobo and Amazon Kindle. Kobo is not only sold in bookstores here, but Wal-mart sell it, too. The Kobo online bookstore is reasonably robust -- and much more friendly than the equivalent Sony store. Barnes and Noble, of course, does not seel e-readers or e-books in Canada so they have no impact at all.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
the choice is between the Sony devices (at higher cost and NOT sold in bookstores)
The Sony line-up has not been discounted in Canada to match prices in the US, so for Canadians the choices are the Kobo at $149CDN, the Sony PRS600 at $229CDN, and the Kindle2 also at $229CDN (after exchange rate and duty/taxes).
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
sabredog

I sat down earlier tonight whilst my wife and 16 year old daughter were discussing.....stuff....like you know? and used my new Kobo properly.

I had reformatted a ePUB and transferred the ebook via Calibre. Most impressed. Easy to use, nice and light. I may just wait until the next firmware upgrade is available before upgrading firmware.

BTW, the ebook was a Mobileread ePUB repository acquisition.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzomys View Post
The Sony line-up has not been discounted in Canada to match prices in the US, so for Canadians the choices are the Kobo at $149CDN, the Sony PRS600 at $229CDN, and the Kindle2 also at $229CDN (after exchange rate and duty/taxes).
I don't think the $149 Kobo at Wal-mart and Chapters/Indigo has anything to fear from a $229 Touch Edition at Best Buy from a completely indifferent sales rep. It's true Kindle is US$189 + shipping (there is no duty) and comes close to the Sony price ... but the Kindle 2i is a much more capable device than the Sony Touch considering the fully open 3G that Amazon provides. Amazon is also a pretty solid brand in Canada and, heck -- it's the first or second choice for Canadians to buy books -- so even a premium price isn't a barrier over a Sony device.

Kobo's unique local marketing channel in a bookstore and in a major discount retailer will serve it well; Amazon's Kindle can leverage its market position among avid readers; Sony needs to do more than vaguely approximate price after shipping is factored in.

And, in a nod to the thread, Nook isn't even in the game.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #12
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Barnes and Noble, of course, does not seel e-readers or e-books in Canada so they have no impact at all.
Actually, I believe they do sell ebooks to Canadian customers. But the nook, no.

I've always found that strange. It's like they're telling readers, "We would love for you to buy B&N content, but if you want an e-reader, please go to our competitors. We hear the Kindle is great."
afa is offline   Reply With Quote