Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2022, 06:47 AM   #1
roguexuk
Enthusiast
roguexuk began at the beginning.

Device: PW4, Kobo Aura (Original), Touch, Libra H20, Aura ONE & Clara HD
Question After connection through Calibre, Kobo reader can't do any syncs with Kobo itself

I've been trying to figure this out, but not having any joy.

I have a Kobo Touch (original), Aura (original) & Clara HD, all with the latest firmware and I've been finding that once I use Calibre to sideload books onto the devices, I'm unable to connect to the Kobo servers? Either by WiFi or by USB with Kobo desktop.

I actually did a little test the other day. My Aura had been loaded up with my kobo purchased books, then I added my sideloaded books. Not able to connect with Kobo, I then signed in and out of my account.

The upside to this was the ability to access Kobo again, the downside was that now a lot of the collections holding my sideloaded books were empty.

So I connected the Aura to Calibre, not to add/remove anything, but just for it to update the metadata for the sideloaded books. This part worked.
But once again I was unable to reach Kobos servers.

At the moment, I have the latest edition of Caibre, the Kobo extended plugin & kobo utilities installed.
I did try paring Calibre down & removed utilities & the extended plug in to see if that made a difference, but no joy. So I reinstalled them

Does anyone have any thoughts? Maybe I have a setting wrong in Calibre that's causing this or maybe its the Kobo firmware, I don't know.
But I wanna be selfish & have sideloaded books & connect to the Kobo servers at the same time

Thanks in advance
roguexuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:23 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It should work, and, it is working for most of my devices. Some are not syncing properly, but, the problem is not calibre related.

I did hit a problem last year with syncing and collections. The issue was that I change the case for some tags being used for collections. One of them was changed from "toRead" to
"ToRead". This broke the sync because the way calibre renamed the collection was not compatible with how Kobo handles this. To fix it, I had to go through all my devices and delete the collections that clashed. Then sync and then let calibre do its thing.

There does seem to be another syncing problem related to the "BookReader.sqlite" database. This is an encrypted database on the device. Kobo uses it for things like Kobo Plus but, it has something in it for the API. It usually should be small, less than 1MB, unless you are a heavy Kobo Plus. I occasionally see it much bigger and roughly the same size as the main database, KoboReader.sqlite. Removing "BookReader.sqlite" and restarting the device can fix the problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
roguexuk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I did hit a problem last year with syncing and collections. The issue was that I change the case for some tags being used for collections. One of them was changed from "toRead" to
"ToRead". This broke the sync because the way calibre renamed the collection was not compatible with how Kobo handles this. To fix it, I had to go through all my devices and delete the collections that clashed. Then sync and then let calibre do its thing.

There does seem to be another syncing problem related to the "BookReader.sqlite" database. This is an encrypted database on the device. Kobo uses it for things like Kobo Plus but, it has something in it for the API. It usually should be small, less than 1MB, unless you are a heavy Kobo Plus. I occasionally see it much bigger and roughly the same size as the main database, KoboReader.sqlite. Removing "BookReader.sqlite" and restarting the device can fix the problem.
Hi,

I did have a quick look at the sqlite databases, but size wise, they look as you say they should.

I'm been trying to figure out the collections naming thing, I've been trying to look and see if any are different. But I suddenly thought.... I've been checking through my tags to see if they differ from what I can see on the Clara, but am I supposed to be checking MyShelves against the ereader?

Have I misundertood and am looking in the complete wrong place for this?
Old 05-27-2022, 02:05 PM   #4
roguexuk
Enthusiast

I've tried taking off tags from the device until it's able to sync again - I've worked down alphabetically removing the problem tags as I go.

But once I sync up with calibre again, the rest of the tags show up and it can't sync again, despite the problem tags being removed.

I have a lot of tags, a lot of which I use to categorise my books/fanfics, but I don't need them all on the device.

I did see the blog post here which mentioned that you could create a user category.

I thought I'd try that to select only the tags that I need on the device, but can't figure out how to get only that to sync on the device.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If this is caused by my suggestion above, do not connect to calibre until you have sorted the collections out. The problem is that calibre will recreate the collections you are trying to delete. That will clash with anything you do on the device to remove them and sync the collections. As you have multiple devices, you may need to do this for all of them before connecting again. Clear the collections that might be causing issues, sync all devices and see what happens.

If you do want to connect to calibre, turn off the collection management options in the driver until you have the collection syncing fixed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #6
roguexuk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If this is caused by my suggestion above, do not connect to calibre until you have sorted the collections out. The problem is that calibre will recreate the collections you are trying to delete. That will clash with anything you do on the device to remove them and sync the collections. As you have multiple devices, you may need to do this for all of them before connecting again. Clear the collections that might be causing issues, sync all devices and see what happens.

If you do want to connect to calibre, turn off the collection management options in the driver until you have the collection syncing fixed.
Hi,

I've been trying to work this out for days now.

Each time I remove a tag that causes Kobo to sync again. I remove it from the list that syncs up through calibre (after removing it from my other devices), then sync it up with calibre again.
But when I put the other tags back on the problem starts again.

At the moment, I've got it narrowed down to these tags:
- The X-Files
- Crime Fiction
- Avengers
- Crossovers
- The West Wing
- The Librarians (2003)

Kobo will only sync by wi-fi if all of these tags are removed from the device - I can't pick any particular one out of them that is causing the issue, believe me, I've tried removing each one at a time, several times over in different orders. But it's all or nothing with these.

Can you see anything obvious in the tags above that's causing these issues?

My only other thought it to re-label some of these eg:
- Fanfic: The X-Files
- Fanfic: Avengers
But I wonder if, as the main words won't change, neither will my problem.

Regards
Old 06-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Rename them:
Code:
 Fanfic.The X-Files
 Fanfic.Avengers
see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub...roups-tutorial

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguexuk View Post
Hi,

I've been trying to work this out for days now.

Each time I remove a tag that causes Kobo to sync again. I remove it from the list that syncs up through calibre (after removing it from my other devices), then sync it up with calibre again.
But when I put the other tags back on the problem starts again.

At the moment, I've got it narrowed down to these tags:
- The X-Files
- Crime Fiction
- Avengers
- Crossovers
- The West Wing
- The Librarians (2003)

Kobo will only sync by wi-fi if all of these tags are removed from the device - I can't pick any particular one out of them that is causing the issue, believe me, I've tried removing each one at a time, several times over in different orders. But it's all or nothing with these.

Can you see anything obvious in the tags above that's causing these issues?

My only other thought it to re-label some of these eg:
- Fanfic: The X-Files
- Fanfic: Avengers
But I wonder if, as the main words won't change, neither will my problem.

Regards
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #8
roguexuk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Rename them:
Code:
 Fanfic.The X-Files
 Fanfic.Avengers
see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub...roups-tutorial

bernie
Ooh, great. Will have a go & see if it works.

EDIT: So far, so good. I've just tried adding my problem tags onto my Clara using the genre tag hierarchy thing, and no problems - they add and I can still sync my Kobo!
I'll try adding all my other tags this way & hopefully it'll still work for me :-)

Thanks for getting me this far.

Last edited by roguexuk; 06-06-2022 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Update post