Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 3, Kobo Clara HD
Best non-kindle devices around nowadays?

So, I did it again: I lost another ebook reader. It happened a couple of years ago to my Sony PRS-T1; following advice from this forum I bought a Boyue, which at the time was one of the best alternative e-reader around, but now it also got lost. At the moment I am reading on an old, non frontlit kindle of my daughter's, but it's just a temporary solution.

My requisites are the following:
  • not a kindle. Reasons for this would require another discussion; having had a look at other discussions, I will only say the lock-in is not the reason.
  • pocket size (e.g, 6" with a 3:2 aspect ratio)
  • frontlit
  • base features for reading (highlighting, notetaking and a good English dictionary) working by default (which unfortunately was not the case with my Boyue)
  • possibility of fiddling with the software, e.g. trying different reading apps, would be a plus
  • physical buttons would also be a plus (but I read in another thread that nowadays they are rather uncommon)

Pointers to buying guides are also welcome--the ones I found only feature the most expensive models and/or the most common producers; a couple of years ago I bought my Boyue around 130€, I'd expect to find something around the same price...
OneiroDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kobo Clara HD
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You are not going to find an e Ink device with a 3:2 aspect ratio. They are 4:3.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneiroDancer View Post
  • not a kindle. Reasons for this would require another discussion; having had a look at other discussions, I will only say the lock-in is not the reason.
No reason to overly explain not wanting a Kindle. You don't want a Kindle. Simple enough.

I'll second Barbara's Kobo Clara HD rec.

Quote:
  • pocket size (e.g, 6" with a 3:2 aspect ratio)
It is small for a 6" reader, almost as small as the Aura I replaced with it.

As mentioned, all 6" readers have an aspect ratio of 4:3, not 3:2

Quote:
  • frontlit
It has a nice frontlight that can change color, which is a bonus.

Quote:
  • base features for reading (highlighting, notetaking and a good English dictionary) working by default (which unfortunately was not the case with my Boyue)
The Clara does that. But I never use highlighting or notes, so I can't comment.

The Kobo dictionary isn't as thorough as Kindle's. It's always been good enough for me. YMMV.

Quote:
  • possibility of fiddling with the software, e.g. trying different reading apps, would be a plus
You can patch the Kobo software to tweak things (which I've done) or install an entirely different reader (I've never done that and don't see the point. but you can).

Quote:
  • physical buttons would also be a plus (but I read in another thread that nowadays they are rather uncommon)
The Nook Glowlight 3 has physical buttons and meets most of your other requirements. But it is larger than the Clara and I don't think you can fiddle with the software much.

Physically, I think the 3 is nicer than the Clara or the Paperwhite. But Kobo's software is much better than Nook software is.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You are not going to find an e Ink device with a 3:2 aspect ratio. They are 4:3.
Well, that's ok--I mentioned the form factor measuring it from the ooold kindle I am using right now, because 6 inches sounded strange to me compared to the aspect ratios of smartphones...
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast

@ZodWallop, very nice analysis, many thanks!

Last edited by OneiroDancer; 05-13-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Gadgets don't interest me. Books do.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Gadgets don't interest me. Books do.
Not sure of what your goal is in going to the "Which one should I buy?" section of the forum to share this.

Are you next going to the Deals and Resources section to comment about how you buy books when you're ready to read them rather than when they're on sale?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
I will recommend the Kobo Clara HD or Onyx Poke Pro.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #10
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I have an Onyx Boox Note Pro and the latest update is a disaster. I have a Kobo and love it.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneiroDancer View Post
Well, that's ok--I mentioned the form factor measuring it from the ooold kindle I am using right now, because 6 inches sounded strange to me compared to the aspect ratios of smartphones...
you have to measure the screen display area, not the overall device size , to get to 4:3
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:34 AM   #12
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
you have to measure the screen display area, not the overall device size , to get to 4:3
Of course, that's what I did--the mistake was not in the measurement, but in the reduction of the fraction
Old 05-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
With the exception of the Sony PRS-950, which is close to 3:2. But it's old tech and not front-lit.

Measurement for a standard (6") e-Reader, 4-3/4" x 3-5/8". For a PRS-950, 6-1/4" x 3-5/8".

Last edited by rcentros; 05-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I have an Onyx Boox Note Pro and the latest update is a disaster. I have a Kobo and love it.
I have poke pro and the update is excellent. I dont reccommend it to the op because the inbuilt dictionary is weak, though you can install others.

The kobo clara would probably be a good choice.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
With the exception of the Sony PRS-950, which is close to 3:2. But it's old tech and not front-lit.

Measurement for a standard (6") e-Reader, 4-3/4" x 3-5/8". For a PRS-950, 6-1/4" x 3-5/8".
Is that Sony even available any longer? If you want to see screen sizes for all devices check our wiki.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 05-15-2019 at 12:34 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote