Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
Fire OS 4.5.3 Update

My HDX 7 just updated to 4.5.3. The release notes don't really state what changed, although the keyboard seems less laggy. I'm not sure about any other changes. Has anybody else updated yet?
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Yes, my HD 6 also updated. It says "general improvements and performance enhancements"

I just wish they'd update the Fire phone to the same level.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Okay Scared last firmware update messed up my Kindle Fire. It took two Factory resets to get it working again. Hoping that this firmware actually does not make things worse.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-19-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Mine updated, but I haven't figured out what, if anything, has changed. I don't use the native Amazon keyboard.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Hoping that this firmware actually does not make things worse.
Yes! I'm still waiting for the update and keeping fingers crossed here.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I finally forced the update today.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One thing that changed is the image that you see when the fire is charging. It now has a little lightning bolt over the battery icon.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
My Fire HDX7 updated yesterday when I wasn't looking!
Is there any setting that I haven't found that can prevent automatic updating? I mean other than never having WIFI on??
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:51 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My KF6 is updating. I set it down went to use it and saw its updating.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:55 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

It looks like you can no longer remove profile from lock screen. This is what messed up my other tablet. Had to factory reset and now with new update forced to use it again.

Found a way to hide it but the profile is still there.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-26-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:49 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
No problems with it here. There are these 'reports' that FireFly is coming to HD6/HD7, but it is not in this update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've just bought a HDX 7 and I manually updated as soon as it arrived as I already had the update on my HD6. I haven't experienced any issues at all. Everything runs perfectly.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:15 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
My HD 6 updated yesterday. Everything seems to work the same, so I don't know what has changed.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
have they sneaked in hyphenation to the native book reader app.
I am reading the tube riders vol 1 - a £zero amazon kindle "purchase" - seeing lots of hyphens at line ends. they are not hard coded because if I rotate the fire to landscape view then I see different words hyphenated. I have never seen this in a mobi/azw on kindle fire before and I see nothing in read options to control whether I get it or not. I don't much care for having it forced on me.
I had always believed that kindle did not/could not "do" hyphenation but this is a counter example ?
( same book in K for PC flows with no hyphens)

could others check & report back. it could be just this one book but I can't figure how in-book code could control this ?
I have KF HDX 9.7 latst upgrade.
(PS if I convert the book to epub and try another app, it flows just like any other book, which suggest it is an OS/kindle app change not something in the book )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
have they sneaked in hyphenation to the native book reader app.
I am reading the tube riders vol 1 - a £zero amazon kindle "purchase" - seeing lots of hyphens at line ends. they are not hard coded because if I rotate the fire to landscape view then I see different words hyphenated. I have never seen this in a mobi/azw on kindle fire before and I see nothing in read options to control whether I get it or not. I don't much care for having it forced on me.
I had always believed that kindle did not/could not "do" hyphenation but this is a counter example ?
( same book in K for PC flows with no hyphens)

could others check & report back. it could be just this one book but I can't figure how in-book code could control this ?
I have KF HDX 9.7 latst upgrade.
(PS if I convert the book to epub and try another app, it flows just like any other book, which suggest it is an OS/kindle app change not something in the book )
Did you mean the Fire HDX 8.9 or another model?

The sample is currently not available for The Tube Riders (The Tube Riders Trilogy #1) (a glitch that's affected one of my own books during the publishing process each of the last four days, which I've reported to Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing several times). When the sample is available again, I'll download it and check on my Fire HD6.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and noticed that the book is free, so I purchased it and checked on my Fire HD6. There is auto-hyphenation there! Text with Bookerly font selected may be a bit darker than usual, too. I see that the book was originally published in January 2014, but the author may have made changes recently and re-uploaded the book.

I'm currently working with KDP's Technical Team to try and figure out what's going on with auto-hyphenation. I recently revised my four e-books. After uploading them to KDP within the last week or two, auto-hyphenation is appearing in my ebooks where there wasn't any before. The text is darker than it was in previous editions, too. This has happened on the Fire HD6 with both software version 4.5.2 and the new 4.5.3 (edit: and now the Fire HDX 8.9). It isn't a problem on older HD7's, the Voyage, or the Kindle for Android app on my tablet. I don't have any other KF8-reading devices or iOS app to test, so I'm not sure about those yet.

I would greatly appreciate if you would download the sample for Last Mulligan and report your results in this MR thread, where the issue's being discussed: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256131. I need to know exactly which devices are showing the auto-hyphenation! I'm not seeing this on my Fire HD6 in other recently published/re-published e-books, so if anyone sees other examples of auto-hyphenation, I'd very much appreciate knowing the title so I can check it out.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 02-26-2015 at 07:06 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote