Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #46
rothclan
rothclan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
My Aura HD does not do anything after it has been connected to the computer. It's USB mass storage device was no longer there after some time, I disconnected it and that's it.

The screen shows still the 'connected' page.

I tried all the reset stuff, also factory reset with the buttons (no screen interaction possible).

Is there a chance that the device can be unbricked with davids image? If yes -> plse PM.

Any other idea?

Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
rothclan: There is a good chance writing the image to the internal SD card will fix things. So, PM sent.
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #48
rothclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
rothclan: There is a good chance writing the image to the internal SD card will fix things. So, PM sent.
Thanks David.

How to use? Store the image to an SD-card, plug in the card, then do what? Kinda reset, but which of all these combinations of light button, power button and reset pin hole?

And do I have to unzip the image (need a 4GB card)? Or is the reader able to get the zipped image?

Thanks, Markus

Last edited by rothclan; 09-29-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 AM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothclan View Post
How to use? Store the image to an SD-card, plug in the card, then do what? Kinda reset, but which of all these combinations of light button, power button and reset pin hole?

And do I have to unzip the image (need a 4GB card)? Or is the reader able to get the zipped image?
The image in the zip file is a disk image for the internal micro SD card. You need to open the device and pull the card out. Then mount the card in PC and write the image to the card. Have a look https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122 for some instructions. That is for a Glo, but the steps are the same.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #50
rothclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The image in the zip file is a disk image for the internal micro SD card. You need to open the device and pull the card out. Then mount the card in PC and write the image to the card. Have a look https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122 for some instructions. That is for a Glo, but the steps are the same.
Ok. Thanks David.
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #51
rothclan

card not seen in card reader

I opened the Kobo, put the card out and tried to mount it at my computer (Win XP). The card is not visible so I am not able to create an image from the original card or to write one to the card with the tools mentioned in the link.

Do I need a driver that my computer is missing or is my card reader just crap? I tried two readers and two sd cards (I have another Aura HD with broken screen). Both the same.

I tried the sd card from the reader with broken display to use in the new one with frozen screen -> works like a charm! So the sd card is the trick. But I want to backup the old card or use Davids image. I will try it tomorrow with a newer computer.

============================================

Finally the reader works again like a charm. Thanks again David for the image!

The internal SD card was no longer recognized by the computer. I really don't understand how an USB connection can damage the internal SD card this way.

I bought a new card and wrote the image to it -> works.

Next steps I plan: Dual boot with Android :-)

Cheers
Markus

Last edited by rothclan; 10-02-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #52
dongyu
dongyu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Finally, my HD bricked. Can anybody PM the image? Thanks!

Before dead, I was charging it. For a night. In the morning, it says the battery is 0, and not charging, even the cable connected all the time. I tried factory reset, still not charge.
I forgot how , suddenly it turned blank, during a reset. The buttons did work anymore. Then I used the clip to reset. the screen will blink twice, then nothing show up. and the light on the top will on all the time.

anybody got any idea about this?

thanks!
Old 11-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent, but...

From what you said, I am not sure you have done the factory reset properly. The steps are:

- Charge the device for at least an hour.
- Hold the power switch in the off position for at least 20 seconds.
- Hold the light button down and turn it on.
- Release the light button when the LED starts to flash.

If that doesn't work, repeat but hold everything a little longer. And if that doesn't work, hopefully restoring the image will fix it.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #54
dongyu

If I disconnect the cable, use a clip to do a reset, the screen will blink twice, and the LED will flash. then after around 10 seconds, the led will stop flash, and turn on all the way. but if I connect the cable, the LED will go off, beside that, nothing happen.

Since there was no image show on the screen all the time, I really didn't know I switch it off or not. Because it shows nothing, I even do not know it is charging or not.

So anyone know the meaning of the LED?

Last edited by dongyu; 11-09-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That's the point of the steps. If the device is working properly, pressing the power switch puts it to sleep. Holding the power switch for a few seconds, starts a controlled shutdown and power off. Holding it for a longer time, forces a power off. But, it doesn't update the screen.

Powering off is important as the factory reset using the buttons only happens if the device is completely off.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #56
dongyu

My KOBO was came back without open it. I'd like to share how I did it.

I connected kobo to computer. Before do the clip reset, press down the light button first, when the screen began to blink, slide the power button to the right for several times, then you will see the light flash faster, you let go all the button. it start to restore.

remember just slide the power button to the right for several times, not hold it.

Thanks for all the people helped me!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #57
vincent.dimicco
vincent.dimicco began at the beginning.

Hello, i think that i have bricked my kobo aura hd, messing with kobo start menu.
Now i am not able to boot it. I thought that i could use a working kobo aura hd to my micro sd card. Can someone point me to a working image for download?Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #58
aa177684
aa177684 began at the beginning.

Hello,

I bought a used Kobo Aura HD, but the internal SD card is corrupted.
Can you give me a link to an original dump?

Thanks.

Last edited by aa177684; 07-26-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #60
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent.dimicco View Post
Hello, i think that i have bricked my kobo aura hd, messing with kobo start menu.
Now i am not able to boot it. I thought that i could use a working kobo aura hd to my micro sd card. Can someone point me to a working image for download?Thanks in advance.
Nothing that you would do "messing with kobo start menu" should have touched the restore partition. You should be able to do a factory reset/restore.

Luck;
Ken
Closed Thread