Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
list of all characters in Sony font ?

is there available for download/print anywhere, a list of all the characters which the sony reader x50 series is able to display.

It is very frustrating to have books which look fine in PC viewers but which present with ? in place of some characters when viewed on the e-reader.

so knowing what the reader can/can't do when it comes to accented letters & other special symbols would be useful.

e.g. it chokes on some of this extract ( from the Dervish House) , which looks fine on PC:
Turkish Spelling and Pronunciation

In 1928 the new Republic adopted a modified Roman alphabet of twenty-nine letters.
Consonants are similar to English, except that:
c is pronounced j as in joy
ç is ch as in chair
ğ is an almost silent aspirate that lengthens the preceding vowel
j is pronounced as in the French je
ş is sh as in ship
h and y are pronounced as consonants, as in hit and yellow

PS in this example I checked also the free Kindle sample, as it's at start of book & I see that the Kindle "solution" is to not attempt any of the accents!

here is a more subtle example - the opening sentence of Elric of Melnibone

"IT IS THE colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the ..."

in this opening sentence there is something which looks like a semicolon, after the word "flesh", but isn't. - it will display as ? on the reader. I have to do a global find / replace in sigl, paste that character into the find box & replace it with a semicolon from my keyboard, in order to make the book readable.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Here you are...

FontCreator - tt0011m_.pdf

But: are you using RTF-files? EPUB never makes troubles in my case. But in RTF-files lots of errors are visible. For example Ä, Ö, Ü aren't displayed. Instead other strange looking glyphs.
I guess that the code-table (or something similiar) could be the reason.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 10-03-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks - the font seems comprehensive. I suspect code tables & books that have been through multiple conversions are what is problematic here

e.g. it seems that ğ is available in the Sony font but when I sent the text cited above to reader it did not display correctly, neither did ş

I can actually reproduce the same issues entirely on PC by viewing books in ADE ( which is the engine that sony uses )

so this in ADE:
IT IS THE colour of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the ...

becomes
IT IS THE colour of a bleached skull, his flesh? and the ...

maybe I need a way of converting characters back to code, or of displaying hidden codes/characters in order to understand what is going on

; and ; look the same here but the first one, in ADE, appears as ?, the 2nd one typed from my keyboard appears correct. if I manouver that text into notepad++ & view as ANSI, I see
flesh;

so it is the ; that Sony/ADE can't interpret.

I still can't see how PC ( chrome in this instance) knows that is should display ; as ;

Last edited by cybmole; 10-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I see that the character is listed which for one of my books shows as a ?. How do I call out that character within the epub to make it display?

Last edited by dynabook; 10-03-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Typo
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
I made a test:

1) RTF from (?) on the reader displays wrong glyphs

2) converted this RTF in Calibre to RTF (RTF --> RTF)

3) That RTF is displayed correctly!

I have no idea what is going on.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

i have a partial but tedious solution. unzip the epub examine the text in notepad++ & flip through the view/encode options until you find one that shows the actual problem character ( I think view as ANSI is the setting ). then open the epub in sigil & use sigil find replace. but this only works if you can successfully paste the problem character(s) into sigil's find box.

it worked e.g. for my composite character that looked like a semicolon as I was able to copy + paste an instance of this from the book view text into the find box & then type a real ; in the replace box.

i think also that viewing epub in ADE on PC will always give same result as viewing on reader, to you can test changes before transferring the book.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The encoding of the XML is utf-8. What other encodings could I use besides utf-16?

BTW the character displays in Sigil correctly.

Do you mean change the view/encoding options in NotePad++ until I can see the character?

I know the character is "o macron" which shows up in the font listing above and it only occurs in 4 places in the entire book.
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 10-04-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

once you know what the character is / shoul be you can repair with find/replace.

notepad++ or similar is helpful if the character is hidden in sigil, with N==you can change encodeing on the fly- find/replace, restore original encoding.

for only 4 occurrences it would be much quicker to repair manually. find the altnnnn code for the character you want & type it directly into sigil - should work. i have a list of epub special character codes which was provided by someone on this board. try alt0176 °
(hold down alt key & type the 4 digits )
Attached Files
File Type: epub SpecialCharacters.epub (2.5 KB, 183 views)
Old 10-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
dynabook
Techno-geek

The o macron is not in the HTML entities list but is in the font listing from Analogus above. I can try using an HTML entity and see what displays. Or I might try utf-16 encoding.
--MH
Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

try putting the special characters epub onto your reader , or into ADE on PC, & see what displays. it includes something called macron, I think, but I'm not well educated on all the special characters' names

the initial list of all available characters in the sony font was interesting, but unless I'm missing something it contains no obvious way of specifying/generating each special character.

what ADE does not do ( i think) is support the creation of special characters via using a backspace to combine two or more symbols as was done in old fashioned teletype printing.