Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #286
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcedo View Post
I just recognized that the lower part of the screen gives way a little bit if pressed.
I can't remember that being the case from the beginning, but I'm not sure about it.
I didn't do anything to the device that could be responsible for that "weakness".
Does anybody else recognize parts of screen to be soft/retreating/elastic/giving way
(as opposed to other parts)?
Some (waving) screen curve can be spotted without pressing on Sony RP1.

If it's not naked eye observable, it's common for this type of E ink screen - ES133TT3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	544f381f95cad1c8cbbb0af2753e6709c83d51e0.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	162305  
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #287
Thomdes
Thomdes began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max 2
Hi, exactly my case.
I am still searching, but have no solution. Just to let you know.
The display works fine as a second monitor with mac book and osx 10.10.5 Yosemite

I will keep on researching what the issue could be.
It's dismounted the dsi 7" touch screen from the rasp berry and had set LCD off, config. Txt to safe mode but all didn't change anything.

Keep in touch
Thomdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #288
Thomdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbn View Post
I tried using my Max2 as a monitor for a headless raspberry pi 3 (command line mode). A normal HDMI-capable monitor has no problems, while the Max2 shows a black screen with no text on it.

On a Windows 10 machine I have problems with the quality of the picture: text is not readable. Even if the secondary monitor is set to use large fonts, a pdf shared to the Max2 is of much worse quality in comparison to what it would like if opened directly on the reader. Does the monitor app put a reader in A2 mode?

Hi, exactly my case.
I am still searching, but have no solution. Just to let you know.
The display works fine as a second monitor with mac book and osx 10.10.5 Yosemite

I will keep on researching what the issue could be.
It's dismounted the dsi 7" touch screen from the rasp berry and had set LCD off, config. Txt to safe mode but all didn't change anything.

Keep in touch
Thomdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #289
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcedo View Post
I'm turning off wifi. But after wakeup the device is turning on wifi.
At least airplane mode should prevent that, right? But it doesn't.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4714558/huawei-zte

Ask why Onyx is forcing to use it's own note app by lagging the other 3rd party apps.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #290
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Ask why Onyx is forcing to use it's own note app by lagging the other 3rd party apps.
After reading the transcript, if I have not missed anything, <<the threat that telecom companies, specifically Huawei and ZTE>> represent is: potential. Not a hint that the activity is ongoing.
And, not a hint about the legal framework to oppose this class of risks. Nor about the cultural derive that is favouring this wave.
Meanwhile:
-- the US actively weakened encryption in common systems - reportedly did, not could do;
-- not long ago a non-protected server of a software producing company was holed, which apparently contained /all that users of their virtual keyboard software had typed while using it/. And the problem is, that the personnel in that company who approved that the keyboard should collect what is typed and send the data anywhere, should be, rethorical weakenings aside, *murdered* or legal equivalence, and the bewildering thing is that this does not appear as evident. In the tech forum, the vastest majority focused on the lack of protection on the servers!

Quote:
First, you have to demonstrate that they are actively lagging 3rd party apps. It's a big claim.

Last edited by mdp; 02-17-2018 at 07:24 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #291
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
First, you have to demonstrate that they are actively lagging 3rd party apps. It's a big claim.
Yeah, I noticed a huge difference in drawing apps (not even on eink). Autodesk Sketchbook is really really slow and laggy compared to PaperOne which works a lot better. And that on my S8+ which I thought was not supposed to be a slouch.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #292
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Onyx software is not open sourced.
Ask why.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #293
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Ask why.
Why do you assume it should be open sourced? It is not a requirement that all apps in Android must be open source, either. Google does it with open source API for Android, and proprietary API in Google Play Services. Onyx can do the same if they wish with their own proprietary API that allows their apps a different access to hardware than 3rd party apps that are not optimized for Onyx.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #294
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ask why.
I already threw my guess in the past. Which also entails, again there's a set of plausible alternatives to pick.

And: you think "closed source" protects from revealing such things?

Last edited by mdp; 02-18-2018 at 05:30 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #295
Multiversalist
Multiversalist began at the beginning.

Device: max2pro
I received mine 9 days ago. I am very happy with it and I am using it a lot, exactly the way I expected, but I still would hesitate to recommend it to friends because:

- it does reboot randomly a couple of times a day, although it does it a bit less often than in the beginning. No info is lost on books I'm reading but if it reboots while taking notes then you do lose part of your work.

Does anybody else have the same issue ??? I contacted the e-book store where I bought it and they are looking into it but I'm curious as to whether I'm the only one.
Multiversalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #296
Multiversalist
Multiversalist began at the beginning.

Device: max2pro
Agree with the left-handed option ! Also it seems a bit of a pity that when we have the open notebook next to the pdf it is no longer possible to underline or look up words in the dictionary
Multiversalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #297
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceblits View Post
1.) The screen seems very delicate compared to the dpt. In some parts it is smooth and erases easily but in other parts I've noticed that I easily scratch it with the eraser. To circumvent this, I've stopped erasing all together. I'm wondering if there's any way to change the default erase option, for example, to erase without pressing down with the back of the pen. If this is not possible, can I put a screen protector on it without compromising the writing experience? If so what screen protector should I get?
A screen protector is available here : https://ereader.store/en/accessoires...xcarta-32.html
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #298
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
@ Iceblits In my previous response to you I wrote it is almost impossible to scratch the screen. After longer use though, I have also observed scratches from my own annotations, which would not disappear after removing the dust particles with a cloth. It was surprising because the Max Carta screen showed no such scratches after almost one year of use...
So I asked Booxtor how is this possible. According to him, since the screen for the two models is basically the same, this should not happen.

Nonetheless, Max2 has the touch screen layer applied over the Carta screen, and now it seems that the touch screen layer is the one being scratched. Onyx did not anticipate that the extra layer is so sensitive to stylus. I guess they will look to the problem after the New Lunar Year festivities are over.

This is pretty annoying. Hopefully the basic screen is intact. The only good news is that these scratches are not visible in normal light conditions. One needs a strong lateral light source to see them. Also I did buy the protective screen in the end and will try to mount it as soon as it comes.

P.S. Iceblits, you can use the eraser in a more gentle manner by simply clicking with it on the annotation you want to delete, instead of the classic long move over it.

UPDATE: The protective screen has no antiglare properties and at one edge it does not attach properly. Also, it is virtually impossible to remove all traces of dust between the screen and the protective sheet, as well as to remove all the air bubbles forming in the process. Not an optimal solution.

Onyx should have tested the the new screens and find a technical solution to the all too sensitive touch-screen layer, before bringing the product to the market.

Last edited by Drew22; 02-24-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Update
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:32 AM   #299
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew22 View Post
Nonetheless, Max2 has the touch screen layer applied over the Carta screen, and now it seems that the touch screen layer is the one being scratched. Onyx did not anticipate that the extra layer is so sensitive to stylus. I guess they will look to the problem after the New Lunar Year festivities are over.
It sucks, I have a scratch too . Very hard to notice but I am going to buy the protector as in a year from now it could get quite ugly.

Anyway I have talked with Booxtor about a screen issue in my device. Just thought to check this thread to see if it's common. The screen is a bit loose on the right side or rather the internals are loose, some space between the flexible screen and the back cover. Normally I would not notice it but it does "click" when I put my hand on the screen to write anything, see the video. Booxtor told me it is fine and wil not cause any issues to the reader but if I don't like it I can send it for repair anytime during the warranty. Yea, sending back to Germany sucks so I'm not in a hurry.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Max2_screen_click.mp4.zip (13.76 MB, 150 views)
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #300
everalm
everalm began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Boox 2
Just received my Max 2 from Amazon, well boxed, powered up OK on arrival. Have updated the firmware via the download from www.boox.com to V1.8.3 (20180129)

(As an FYI, if you buy on amazon.co.uk right now there is a promotion option where you not only get the aluminium stand for free, buying with Prime, the discount knocks another £13.20 off the Max price)

Been reading the posts, multiple and various and my issues are pretty similar to everyone else's.

The Security lock issue really HAS to be fixed as neither through the ADB path or the Android settings APK path for password setting stick on the Max. Whilst for some individuals this may not seem an issue, it means that enterprise take up of the Max will be stymied and the potential loss of intellectual property or personal data is unacceptable in this day and age.

Then there is the problem that you can't have any app stay resident after a reboot. So for example, download a lock screen app, to work around the security issue, won't fire up automatically on reboot. Install an app to make it resident, the Max Android implementation over rides it so the kludge for security won't load on boot and it has to be manually started, so.....no effective security

One Note, the application writing latency and stability makes, for me, the use of One Note wholly unusable.

The whole Android experience is badly implemented, the "Settings" page is a perfect example. This is a reasonably well specced Android tablet, no need to cripple it. Make it as plain vanilla an install as practical with the EPD experience front and centre.

Sensors.....At the least this needs to be sufficient so that screen rotation is automatic, GPS would be nice but not essential.

The HDMI out was one of the reasons I bought the Max, it would be equally useful for it to be so that the Max can do HDMI in so it can drive an external monitor. The on-board video chip should be able to handle it and the Max then could become a very effective standby computer, display driver etc.

Remapping of the physical keys should be available. As an example, using many Android apps by default masks the top screen space (with the home button) so the only way to exit the app is the repeatedly press the return key. Have the apps NOT be full screen by default. Also if the app is set to not full screen, if it opens something inside, One Note is an example open a page from inside the app, the new screen is full screen with no way to set it to not be full screen. Having the hardware keys either be manually remappable or context remapped so for example the left "Menu" button becomes the Home button would be useful.

Screen resolution seems out of kilter in some places. The device is a 2200 x 1650 + 207 PPI yet the "Application" screen icons are oversized and look more like you would expect from a 1024 x 768 display. It may be an app issue but I haven't seen the same sort of issue with my Yotaphone 2 which seems to handle resizing somewhat better.

There is so much potential here that is being blocked for no readily apparent reason.
everalm is offline   Reply With Quote