Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
The Assassins Apprentice by Robin Buss,
So everybody's really just going to ignore that (^^^) 900lb gorilla in the room?

I'm going to throw out Robert V.S. Redick's "Chathrand Voyage" series. The fourth and final volume was published just this year.

Also Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God (if Kearney's The Sea Beggars was finished, I'd recommend that too. But I can't in good conscience recommend a series in "limbo").

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-15-2013 at 06:30 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The beginning of the Mary Stewart Merlin series might be too slow for you, but the Crystal Cave is a great book and connects the Romans, Druids, Britons, and Christianity in a manner than few have ever managed. Warning: it will spoil you for other Arthurian books. The other books in the series are The Hollow Hills and The Last Enchantment. There is one more after that, but it was not very good, and it seemed like sort of an afterthought.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ooh, I'm going to 2nd 3rd or 4th Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Awesome stuff. I especially liked how little actual magic was used. The trilogy was so good it drove me to read his related stories, Best Served Cold and The Heroes. Good stuff!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
The trilogy was so good it drove me to read his related stories, Best Served Cold and The Heroes. Good stuff!
And of course you've followed up with the very latest -- Red Country?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #35
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And of course you've followed up with the very latest -- Red Country?
And you are of course following the "First Law" graphic novel being posted online, right? New pages posted each Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Latest Page
Archive
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And you are of course following the "First Law" graphic novel being posted online, right? New pages posted each Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Oh, me and Joe are best buds on Twitter. He personally lets me know when the new stuff goes up.

EDIT: ...of course by "best buds," I mean that I follow him and he, in turn, doesn't know I exist.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-15-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I'm going to second Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, I absolutely loved it and was genuinely sad to see it end. It had an interesting world, great magic system, and fantastic three-dimensional characters.
I've only read the first Mistborn book. It as free from Tor. I did enjoy it. So I would go with the trilogy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll recommend The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #39
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh, me and Joe are best buds on Twitter. He personally lets me know when the new stuff goes up.

EDIT: ...of course by "best buds," I mean that I follow him and he, in turn, doesn't know I exist.
Damn... I was hoping I could get you to convince him to sign one of my books...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #40
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Try the Earthsea Trilogy, by Ursula K. LeGuin.
I read the first page and found the tone cold and distant. A turn-off. On the other hand, The Left Hand of Darkness is brilliant. I wonder if she did anything else good?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #41
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I liked Kingkiller Chronicles (so far), I also really liked Assassin's Apprentice and the followup tawny man trilogy I think both are worth reading.

But to add some new fuel my first recommendation would actually be the inheritance cycle that was the first fantasy series I read all the way through and I'm actually reading through the Belgariad series at the minute and it's quite enjoyable.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #42
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I read the first page and found the tone cold and distant. A turn-off. On the other hand, The Left Hand of Darkness is brilliant. I wonder if she did anything else good?
If you enjoyed "The Left Hand of Darkness", it might be worth trying "The Dispossessed".

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #43
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Start with the Belgariad, it's the best of the bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
How about David Eddings Elenium trilogy and its sequel the Tamuli trilogy. And there's always his signature series the Belgariad (which is a quintet) and its sequel the Mallorean (another quintet).
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Yes, I thought the tone of Wizard of Earthsea was not quite what I'd want from a regular fantasy. Although I did like it, I'm not sure I'd recommend it in this thread. It kind of reminded me of Lyonesse by Jack Vance. It's like someone telling you an old legend.

I didn't get much out of Left Hand of Darkness, but I thought The Dispossessed was a real masterpiece. I only read them a few months apart. I'll have to assume it was me that changed. (Both SF, so not really applicable to this thread.)

A few more trilogies:

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy
Maria V Snyder's Study books (apparently called the Chronicles of Ixia, now) - a bit romance-y, kind of lightweight, and the first one, Poison Study, is the best by miles, but they're all enjoyable and easy to read. The follow-up trilogy is OK, too.
Kate Elliott's Crossroads trilogy - I haven't actually read the last part, yet, so it might all go horribly wrong, but I liked the first two
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #45
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Second
LeGuin Earthsea
Eddings stuff
and Canavan
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote