Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It was actually a fairly well done survey. In the first free text field in the survey I told them - "give me a reason to buy from you rather than from the Kindle Store". They asked for some features that I would like, and I gave them a nice list -
- sync between the Kobo app and Kobo devices. Not syncing is simply annoying.
Kobo does sync books you purchase from them between the devices and apps. Including reading status. They should sync annotations as well, but, there are some problems with that.

They don't sync anything about side loaded books. But, as the question was about buying from them, that doesn't really seem relevant.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:26 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
This is what I am trying to get at. To bring back to the original post,

I'm guessing that the current version of ADE (4.x) works with the latest version(s) of Mac OS and the tools can be used to remove DRM for books purchased through Kobo.

I'm only bringing this up for my own curiosity (I may some day buy a Mac), and possibly someone browsing may get the wrong impression.
Tested this using a OSX 10.15.2 (Catalina) VM. I recycled a Kobo and an University of Chicago free ebook .acsm files. ADE 4.5 downloaded the books and they imported to calibre with the DRM removed. A lot easier than trying to convince Catalina/Kindle for Mac to not use .KFX files.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2020, 05:39 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
If you absolutely had to, couldn't you also spin up a VM running a Linux running ADE 2.0.1 in Wine?
No, not Linux. Dual-boot with Windows 10.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Tested this using a OSX 10.15.2 (Catalina) VM. I recycled a Kobo and an University of Chicago free ebook .acsm files. ADE 4.5 downloaded the books and they imported to calibre with the DRM removed. A lot easier than trying to convince Catalina/Kindle for Mac to not use .KFX files.
Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:12 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Another thing that I didn't put down, but is strong from me is DRM. I won't buy books where I can't remove the DRM. Apparently if you want to remove DRM from ADE, then you need to use 2.0.1 rather than the current version, but 2.0.1 no longer works with the current version of Mac OS. I might consider buying some stuff from them if this wasn't the case.

I also tried a little experiment this morning. I've got the first 6 Witch World novels by Andre Norton in two omnibus books (Gates of Witch World and Lost Lands of Witch World). It would be kind of nice to have some of the others. So I decided to see which of the three eBook stores (Kindle, Kobo, Apple) made it easiest to find the books I wanted to buy.

Just curious, can you remove DRM from ebooks purchased from Apple with the latest Mac OS?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing to try at Kobo is to find a free eBook that has DRM and download that. If you can remove the DRM, you should be good to go.
I actually have about 100 books in the Kobo store that I bought in the Sony store, and then they were transferred to Kobo when Sony dropped their store. Testing isn't a problem.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
When I search for content on Amazon I put the author first and as much of the title as possible. The target always shows up...somewhere...

Amazon is never going to deliver what you want and only what you want because their job is to sell as many books as possible so they'll always cough up similar books, for different values of similar: title, genre, subject, metadata, etc.

Being perfectly precise wouldn't be good for busines$$.
With Amazon the issues isn't so much imprecise searches as showing books they are charging the author/publisher to pimp even where there is no relationship to the search. Both Amazon and Google sell search placement. You are both the customer and the product when it comes to Amazon, with Google you are simply the product. Google doesn't bother me as much, since I don't pay Google anything. On the other hand, I spend lots of money at Amazon.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just curious, can you remove DRM from ebooks purchased from Apple with the latest Mac OS?
No, I have a mac mini that I keep at Sierra for that, but then again, that's one of the reasons I don't buy very many books from the Apple book store. I tried the Apple book store just to see if the buying experience is better. Apple does do a better job of giving me what I'm looking for, they just don't have a big selection. While there is promise in the Apple bookstore, it's still undelivered and they really don't give me a reason to switch.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the word on how to remove DRM with the current version of ADE.

I should have been explicit on what I was searching for with this thread. My question is what would make you switch ebook stores? I suspect for a percentage, it would be cheaper eBooks and I know what I'm looking for, but what feature would make you switch?
Old 02-05-2020, 07:04 AM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo does sync books you purchase from them between the devices and apps. Including reading status. They should sync annotations as well, but, there are some problems with that.

They don't sync anything about side loaded books. But, as the question was about buying from them, that doesn't really seem relevant.
Hum, I tried it and it didn't seem to work for me. Of course, the vast majority of my books would be side loaded, but it didn't seem to work for the one that I tested that came from the Kobo store either. I never tried side loading any books in the App.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Hum, I tried it and it didn't seem to work for me. Of course, the vast majority of my books would be side loaded, but it didn't seem to work for the one that I tested that came from the Kobo store either. I never tried side loading any books in the App.
For books from Kobo, there isn't anything to do. Sign into the device and the app using the same account. Purchased books will sync to both. Read in one place, sync it and then sync the other and the status updates. It definitely works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #27
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
No, not Linux. Dual-boot with Windows 10.
But then you have to pay for Windows 10.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
But then you have to pay for Windows 10.
If you have a previous version of Windows from 7 on, then you can still get Windows 10 for free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
If you have a previous version of Windows from 7 on, then you can still get Windows 10 for free.
The last computer I bought with windows preinstalled came with windows 98.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can spin up a VM with a previous version of macOS and ADE 2.0.1.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote