Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 02:56 AM   #31
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I might have to toss a coin to make the choice as I assume voting for Doctor Solitaire won't work .
Well, whichever won, we were bound to have a two-word titled selection of which the first word has six letters, two syllables and begins with a 'D' while the second word begins with a fricative, has three syllables and ends in a vowel.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #32
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
...I am surprised neither of you AnotherCat or Bookworm_Girl have seen the film. I saw it so long ago though, when I was a child. So I'm sure a lot of it went well over my head at the time. But I remember the gist of the story, and certain random scenes, including a major later one I won't spoil...
Much

I was browsing through our movie collection this morning and what did I come across? A Dr Zhivago movie DVD.

So I have watched the movie, sometime or another, but it would have been years ago and I just cannot remember doing so or even anything about it. Quite likely too, I will have in the intervening years seen it on the shelf and then maybe have been put off by the 3+ hour run time.

So, next task is to set aside 3+ hours for wife and I to watch it (again ) .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #33
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
There are a few classic movies that I have not seen because the time is so long compared to modern standards. Like Gone With the Wind! Read the book several times but never seen the movie...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:25 AM   #34
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The book is great but the film of Gone with the Wind is definitely worth seeing! If something is too long and I'm not watching at a theatre or with someone, then I'll break it up into chunks as if I'm watching a miniseries. I recently (slowly) got through The Irishman on Netflix that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Much

I was browsing through our movie collection this morning and what did I come across? A Dr Zhivago movie DVD.

So I have watched the movie, sometime or another, but it would have been years ago and I just cannot remember doing so or even anything about it. Quite likely too, I will have in the intervening years seen it on the shelf and then maybe have been put off by the 3+ hour run time.

So, next task is to set aside 3+ hours for wife and I to watch it (again ) .
Not remembering things happens! Honestly I didn't remember the film was that long and I don't remember if I watched it on VHS or some truncated version on the telly. It wasn't my choice to watch, and I'm sure if I saw the full version and there were any naughty bits I would've been told to cover my scandalised eyes.

I may rewatch it after I finish the book. There's also a 2002 serial version with Hans Matheson and Keira Knightly that I haven't seen. It's longer than the older film, though not by all that much.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #35
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I have watched Gone With the Wind and enjoyed it. It may be that I remember it because it could be that I have seen it twice, but if so I don't remember which of the two times I remember.

Wife remembers, like an elephant, us watching Doctor Zhivago but is happy to watch it again. I do have a good memory for many things (e.g. I have never needed to keep a diary for meetings, travel, etc.) but people's names I have trouble with, especially non-English ones, so between the Russian names, the movie's story line and the book's story line I am afraid Doctor Zhivago may end up as alphabet soup for me .

Last edited by AnotherCat; 02-18-2020 at 04:45 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2020, 01:14 AM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I didn’t know there was a Keira Knightly version! I will have to check that out too someday.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote