Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #46
Argon
Enthusiast
Argon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Yeah, I was wondering if I'd had it backwards after I sent that. Regardless, to me I want the indentation to be consistent; whatever letter/text is above or below the indented text should stay in that place when the text is zoomed in our out.

Try making a simple web page with the lorem ipsum text and set the paragraph indentation at 5% and another page with the indentation at 1.5em. Name the files percent.html and em.html then they'll open in your web browser. If you normally have your browser maximized make it a regular window and resize its width. Watch how the indentation changes in the percent file while it stays the same with the em file. If you prefer that varying indentation then that's fine but you don't want to upload public domain books using percent based indentation here or wherever because it's nonstandard and few people like that.
Yes, exactly, but you still have em and % backwards.
Argon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:54 PM   #47
Argon
Enthusiast

Does anyone know why a book I bought with a stylesheet that says 5% is slightly less indented than an ebook I reformatted to have 5%? Shouldn't they be the exact same?
Advert
Old 01-24-2020, 12:02 AM   #48
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argon View Post
Does anyone know why a book I bought with a stylesheet that says 5% is slightly less indented than an ebook I reformatted to have 5%? Shouldn't they be the exact same?
Maybe the body has a margin, padding, or something? Or the paragraphs do? Use the inspector thing in the editor to look at the numbers for the boxes.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #49
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
When converting to KFX (Enhanced Typesetting) Amazon "fixes" text-indent expressed as a percentage. A value set by the publisher of 5% will be changed to 1.6em in KFX. That may be a factor in what you are seeing.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
None of these articles are of any use. They all fall short of telling the truth. All but one leaves out the discussion of hyphenation. Without that, these articles are a sham. The one that does mention hyphenation does so is a way that's like an afterthought and there is no example of full justify with hyphenation. So really, none of these articles are good at discussing left vs. full justification.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-24-2020 at 08:20 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
No, I'm using yours. It helps, but kepub still doesn't look as good as ePub on Nook. Thing is, there are other positives about using kepub on Kobo, so I still use the format.
Forget the nook to read ePub. You can read ePub on your Kobo with the better typesetting. I mostly read ePub because it looks better. And as to being slow to turn the page, ePub is not too slow to turn the page.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, exactly, but you still have em and % backwards.
Modify an ePub to use a text indent of 5%. Then view this ePub in Calibre viewer. Change the width of the window and watch the indents change.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #53
Argon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Modify an ePub to use a text indent of 5%. Then view this ePub in Calibre viewer. Change the width of the window and watch the indents change.
No, that's what I want.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #54
Argon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
When converting to KFX (Enhanced Typesetting) Amazon "fixes" text-indent expressed as a percentage. A value set by the publisher of 5% will be changed to 1.6em in KFX. That may be a factor in what you are seeing.
So I might as well just find the em value I prefer and call it a day? Is that "fixing" reflected in the final stylesheet? The book I bought from Tor Publishing directly as a KFX in the Kindle Store (though downloaded as an AZW3 to open in Calibre) says 5% in Calibre's CSS editor without any changes made to it, and that's what I'm using as a reference standard. Is that 5% there not actually 5%, or is it the other book I modified myself and then converted to KFX?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Okay, I've attached two sets of images. One from a em set paragraph indent and one from a % set paragraph indent. Notice how the % changes to match the viewport while the em set does not. I personally prefer the % and ragged right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gunpowder_and_ember_1.png
Views:	286
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	176631   Click image for larger version

Name:	gunpowder_and_ember_2.png
Views:	279
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	176632   Click image for larger version

Name:	we_also_walk_dogs_1.png
Views:	299
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	176633   Click image for larger version

Name:	we_also_walk_dogs_2.png
Views:	276
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	176634  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In the above samples, the % is too big and looks awful.

What I've done is found an em value I like and set indents to that.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-24-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #57
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Is that "fixing" reflected in the final stylesheet? The book I bought from Tor Publishing directly as a KFX in the Kindle Store (though downloaded as an AZW3 to open in Calibre) says 5%...
The fixing is only in KFX. A copy of the same book downloaded in KF8 (azw3) will have the publisher's original value.

Quote:
Is that 5% there not actually 5%, or is it the other book I modified myself and then converted to KFX?
If you take a book coded in EPUB with an indent of 5% and convert it to KFX it will instead use 1.6em in that format. You can see this if you convert from KFX back to EPUB by using the KFX Input plugin for calibre.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #58
Argon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Okay, I've attached two sets of images. One from a em set paragraph indent and one from a % set paragraph indent. Notice how the % changes to match the viewport while the em set does not. I personally prefer the % and ragged right.
Oh, you know what, I actually, actually disagree with you and what I said earlier. I think the % indentation that you get with such a narrow window is way too small. Em is best, I was wrong.

Now, do I want 1.2 or 1.25 or 1.3?
Old 01-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #59
Argon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The fixing is only in KFX. A copy of the same book downloaded in KF8 (azw3) will have the publisher's original value.

If you take a book coded in EPUB with an indent of 5% and convert it to KFX it will instead use 1.6em in that format. You can see this if you convert from KFX back to EPUB by using the KFX Input plugin for calibre.
Oh, wow, thank you so much! So what is the functional value for my book downloaded from the Kindle Store directly as KFX whose AZW3 style sheet reads 5%? On my Kindle, it's way less than 1.6.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh, you know what, I actually, actually disagree with you and what I said earlier. I think the % indentation that you get with such a narrow window is way too small. Em is best, I was wrong.

Now, do I want 1.2 or 1.25 or 1.3?
I think you should try them all and see what works best for you.

Tags
css, indent, indentation, paragraph, text-indent