Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 12:27 AM   #526
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Backup Library from iPad to iMac

iPad: Mini 5 with iOS 13.3
iMac: Mac OS 10.13.6 with iTunes 12.6.5.3

I'm trying to do this but when I go to File Sharing in iTunes and select the app all I see is a folder labeled "Inbox":

Click image for larger version

Name:	KngZ6f9.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	177263

Where am I supposed to see the backup files to move to the iMac? The "Help" item in the drop-down menu of the Export icon in the iTunes tab of MapleRead SE says files that start with "MR_Backup" are ignored but when I tap the "Backup" item in the menu, I'm told they will be in a folder labeled "MR_Backup"!

I went back and found that the procedure worked for my iPads when they had iOS 12.x on them so it seems the problem is with iOS 13.x. So it looks like the backup procedure in the FAQ no longer works with the latest version of iOS, and I'm now SOL backing up via ITFS.

I went and checked the "Files" app on my iPad Mini 5 and while there IS a folder in it labeled "MapleRead SE", it is empty.

Last edited by issybird; 02-20-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Oversized image thumbnailed.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #527
BlankEyes
Enthusiast
BlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPad 2018
Another thing I am wondering about; do I gain anything by using Calibre in conjunction with MR? I have my library in Onedrive and fetch my books whenever I need a new one.

Am I missing a vital thing here? Besides changing formats from Mobi -> Epub.
BlankEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #528
BlankEyes
Enthusiast
BlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the roughBlankEyes is a jewel in the rough

Can someone please tell what the two lower right buttons in All Book are? One of them makes the folders have red numbering, also it seemed like it grouped books together. Can someone please educate me

Edit: I did find out

Last edited by BlankEyes; 02-16-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #529
BlankEyes
Enthusiast

What does the 'Parallax Effect' actually do? I have been searching the full page and no mention of it - yet it has such an easy accessibility and is rather prominent visually.

Anyone care to enlighten an atm overwhelmed by yet truly thankful for this app.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:28 AM   #530
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankEyes View Post
What does the 'Parallax Effect' actually do? I have been searching the full page and no mention of it - yet it has such an easy accessibility and is rather prominent visually.

Anyone care to enlighten an atm overwhelmed by yet truly thankful for this app.
Parallax is a feature introduced in iOS 7. The parallax effect, when turned on, should be quite obvious, especially in Classic Library view, when you rotate and/or tilt your iPhone/iPad, unless you have turned on Accessibility > Motion > Reduce Motion in Settings app.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #531
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Still unable to backup my MapleRead SE library from my iPad Mini 5 running iOS 13.3.x.

Any pointers?
Old 02-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #532
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Still unable to backup my MapleRead SE library from my iPad Mini 5 running iOS 13.3.x.

Any pointers?
ipad 6th gen; ipados 13.3.1; win10 computer, no itunes.

went thru the steps of "help" on MR to do the backup, ios still suck.

tap files; tapped MR se; tap the double 'square' next to the "sets"; tap itunes at the BOTTOM of the display; tap the square with the 'upload' arrow (?); selected backup. Got the MR_backup folder with the books.

selected Files; long press on MR_backup to have the display in a separate window. I bought FileExplorer that allowed me to have a connection to a "nearby" device; win10 computer was configured as my 'nearby' device.
Then used FileExplorer to show the win10 & my share partitions on the separate display while Files is showing the "local" stuff.

I just did the 'drag & drop' of MR_backup from the Files screen to the FileExplorer on the win10 screen. The MR_backup is on my win10 machine.

Don't know if same thing can be done on Macos. Did not try the itunes method as do not want to install itunes on windows as it made a mess of my nas before by putting hidden crap on the nas directories. There was a menu on a long press of the MR_backup that has copy/paste included; no idea that stuff on ios.

I did get a notification a shortly after that my MR_backup has been added/moved to the queue so now it has been deleted from MRse.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:30 AM   #533
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
ipad 6th gen; ipados 13.3.1; win10 computer, no itunes.

went thru the steps of "help" on MR to do the backup, ios still suck.

tap files; tapped MR se; tap the double 'square' next to the "sets"; tap itunes at the BOTTOM of the display; tap the square with the 'upload' arrow (?); selected backup. Got the MR_backup folder with the books.

selected Files; long press on MR_backup to have the display in a separate window. I bought FileExplorer that allowed me to have a connection to a "nearby" device; win10 computer was configured as my 'nearby' device.
Then used FileExplorer to show the win10 & my share partitions on the separate display while Files is showing the "local" stuff.

I just did the 'drag & drop' of MR_backup from the Files screen to the FileExplorer on the win10 screen. The MR_backup is on my win10 machine.

Don't know if same thing can be done on Macos. Did not try the itunes method as do not want to install itunes on windows as it made a mess of my nas before by putting hidden crap on the nas directories. There was a menu on a long press of the MR_backup that has copy/paste included; no idea that stuff on ios.

I did get a notification a shortly after that my MR_backup has been added/moved to the queue so now it has been deleted from MRse.
That is how it worked in iOS 12.x on my iPad Mini, but when I go through the steps in iOS 13, I don't get the MR_backup file in the MapleRead SE folder in Files, nor does it show up in iTunes File Sharing.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #534
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is how it worked in iOS 12.x on my iPad Mini, but when I go through the steps in iOS 13, I don't get the MR_backup file in the MapleRead SE folder in Files, nor does it show up in iTunes File Sharing.
Did see your ios is at 13.3; my ipad is at 13.3.1. Perhaps the "problem" is fixed with 13.3.1?

Never did a backup as have been using Calibre Companion on all my devices & have Calibre "backed up".
Old 02-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #535
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Did see your ios is at 13.3; my ipad is at 13.3.1. Perhaps the "problem" is fixed with 13.3.1?

Never did a backup as have been using Calibre Companion on all my devices & have Calibre "backed up".
Hmm, that may be a possibility. I'll update to 13.3.1 and see what happens.

11:15 A.M. edit: That worked! It might have been something just "stuck" under 13.3.0 that was freed up by the update.

Last edited by romad; 02-19-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #536
crane3
Guru

Quote:
Hmm, that may be a possibility. I'll update to 13.3.1 and see what happens.

11:15 A.M. edit: That worked! It might have been something just "stuck" under 13.3.0 that was freed up by the update.
GREAT!

Now I just need to find where the Files "file sharing" area is located & what is is called. Seems to be a crapple secret.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #537
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Well, I use iTunes File Sharing (iTFS) since I still use iTunes 12.6.5.3 on my iMac which can only go as far as High Sierra (MacOS 10.13.6).

Did you see this PC Magazine article; it might help: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...-13-and-ipados
Old 02-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #538
crane3
Guru

Quote:
Well, I use iTunes File Sharing (iTFS) since I still use iTunes 12.6.5.3 on my iMac which can only go as far as High Sierra (MacOS 10.13.6).

Did you see this PC Magazine article; it might help: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...-13-and-ipados
Thanks, I just looked at it.

I don't use any "cloud" service in that I have not created an account on any of the clouds available. The article dose not help as it only refers to stuff downloaded with safari which I do not use; prefer to use firefox.

Files still cannot see where the folder for the Calibre Companion is located but FileExplorer does. However FileExplorer returns an error about 'cannot communicate with helper' app. when trying to access the folder.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #539
BlankEyes
Enthusiast

Permission issues iPad iTunes Marvin 3

Has anyone come across this? I was trying to import files via iTunes filseharing for Marvin. I get a message saying 'could not be copied because you don't have permission to see its content. You made need to unlock your iOS device in order to copy files for this app.

Here is a screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qko6nep24...44.47.png?dl=0

Edit: MapleRead did not give this error message.

Last edited by BlankEyes; 02-21-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #540
BlankEyes
Enthusiast

Onedrive (spacious) MBP (not so much) - what to do?

My plan was to have my Calibre Library in Onedrive since I have 1 TB to go. On the Mac it's down to 150GB.

Is there a way to point a local (Mac) situated library so that I can minimise space on the Mac and utilise Onedrive without all sorts of sync issues.

I also should mention that I read on MapleRead SE on my iPad.

Sorry if this is an old question - feel free to just post a link to another post.

Blankeyes

Tags
mapleread