Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #121
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I purchased a iPad 11" came with 12.4 software. Tablet would not update. I could not get past the update screen on the setup process so I had to start over and set up a new iPad without restore just to get to the home screen. Still could not update to 13.1. My computer does not have a USB type C port so I could not use iTunes. Luck me my laptop had a type C port. Finally updated to 13 from there I was able to go to 13.1. It only took 8 hrs trying.
Apparently it was an issue with Apple that is now fixed
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #122
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For the iPhone, iOS 13.3.1 was release yesterday.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #123
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For the iPhone, iOS 13.3.1 was release yesterday.
Seems like the update is available on iPads as well.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #124
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Yep, they put it out for iOS and iPadOS and I’m also getting a daily reminder to install the recent security update 10.14.6 on my MacBook Pro. I hate those MacOS updates because they take so long to install, even the security ones. At any rate, the iOS and iPadOS updates are minor and probably just security updates. I doubt anything new of much importance was added, and probably few, if any, issues were fixed. They are probably focused on what they can screw up in the upcoming 14.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-01-2020 at 12:40 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #125
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Yep, they put it out for iOS and iPadOS and I’m also getting a daily reminder to install the recent security update 10.14.6 on my MacBook Pro. I hate those MacOS updates because they take so long to install, even the security ones. At any rate, the iOS and iPadOS updates are minor and probably just security updates. I doubt anything new of much importance was added, and probably few, if any, issues were fixed. They are probably focused on what they can screw up in the upcoming 14.
It could be worse: Windows 10 updates take just as long, are more frequent, and will automatically install on the next restart or shutdown by default.

Last edited by Dylrob; 02-01-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:56 AM   #126
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:

You must update any iOS/macOS update ASAP. Apple is not very fast on resolving security issues, and those updates come with the latest ones, and sometimes they are in the wild months before Apple patches them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
It could be worse: Windows 10 updates take just as long, are more frequent, and will automatically install on the next restart or shutdown by default.
Since 1903 version that is not completely true. Yes, Windows patches itself on next restart, but it only takes less than one minute more than a normal restart in a modern SSD disk. Oh, and you can delay until 24 days this behavior.

And as I said to OtinG you must update ASAP. For example, two weeks ago there were a W10 update that was released ONE day before a very severe security problem went into the public. If you updated your Windows the same day update was released, you were protected. If you waited only one day, you were in serious danger. (NSA communicate to Microsoft the issue, and Microsoft took one day to release the patch).

And before Apple fanboys start shouting macOS is more secure, do you remember the certificate goto problem in macOS, or the root issue? It took more than one week to be resolved in both cases... not to talk about the AirDrop issue in iOS, that is still not fully patched...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
There have been a lot more iOS 13 updates then Windows 10 new versions. But on iOS 13, we get a lot of app updates because of how poor iOS 13 is.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #128
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iOS 13 isn't too bad, but iPadOS 13 reminds me of Windows 8 when it comes to the Suck-Meter. I really think Apple needs to follow MS's decision. MS knew W8 sucked so bad that they skipped W9 and went directly to W10. Plus MS only turns out a new OS ever so often. Apple insists on turning out a new version of iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS every year, no matter how screwed up the development is that year. Maybe they should just go to a new model where they only turn out new OSes when they are ready. iPadOS has done little else than screw up my iPad Pro 9.7, and worse still they added a little more function via menus but added many more layers to those menus so that it takes 2 to 4 times as many screen presses to accomplish many of the tasks. I truly understand the need for security updates, but all the iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 updates to fix a buggy mess is really annoying. Definitely better than Android, and certainly not the data mining OS monster that Android is, but iOS and iPadOS do need a lot of bugs squashed and I doubt that will happen before we get a new set of bugs with iOS 14 and iPadOS 14.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #129
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
iOS 13 isn't too bad, but iPadOS 13 reminds me of Windows 8 when it comes to the Suck-Meter. I really think Apple needs to follow MS's decision. MS knew W8 sucked so bad that they skipped W9 and went directly to W10. Plus MS only turns out a new OS ever so often. Apple insists on turning out a new version of iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS every year, no matter how screwed up the development is that year. Maybe they should just go to a new model where they only turn out new OSes when they are ready. iPadOS has done little else than screw up my iPad Pro 9.7, and worse still they added a little more function via menus but added many more layers to those menus so that it takes 2 to 4 times as many screen presses to accomplish many of the tasks. I truly understand the need for security updates, but all the iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 updates to fix a buggy mess is really annoying. Definitely better than Android, and certainly not the data mining OS monster that Android is, but iOS and iPadOS do need a lot of bugs squashed and I doubt that will happen before we get a new set of bugs with iOS 14 and iPadOS 14.
I expect iOS/iPadOS 14 will resolve most of that. They subscribed the same "flags" technique Windows uses to generate versions with/without features to ensure released version is stable enough. That will require a completely entire different paradigm on how iOS is developed... and against Jobs/Wozniak philosophy of software development... And I agree change that, iOS 13 is an incredible piece of crap.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #130
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I expect iOS/iPadOS 14 will resolve most of that. They subscribed the same "flags" technique Windows uses to generate versions with/without features to ensure released version is stable enough. That will require a completely entire different paradigm on how iOS is developed... and against Jobs/Wozniak philosophy of software development... And I agree change that, iOS 13 is an incredible piece of crap.
All I can say is different strokes for different folks. I like iPadOS 13 just fine. It's just part of the part of the ongoing effort to make various iDevices more inter connected. I suspect a large part of the issue is that it doesn't work the way you think it should work and there is no way to make it work the way you want it to work, an issue that is embedded in the whole Apple philosophy over the last 20 years. Jerry Pournelle use to say with Apple everything was either very easy or impossible.

There are certainly aspects of iOS that I wish worked differently, in particular, I think the sync between the Mac and the iPad/iPhone has taken a big step backward, but I think that most people don't have the volume of audiobooks from outside the Apple store to sync up that I do.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #131
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I suspect a large part of the issue is that it doesn't work the way you think it should work and there is no way to make it work the way you want it to work, an issue that is embedded in the whole Apple philosophy over the last 20 years.
I reckon it's more to do with bugs and things not working as Apple says they should.

I've found their advertised seamless hotspot isn't working seamlessly at all. Indeed, needed to keep my iPhone on iOS 12 because iOS 13 broke hotspot from my iPad to non-Apple devices (disconnects every few minutes). I've file a bug report when I encountered it. Hope 13.3.1 fixes it.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #132
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I reckon it's more to do with bugs and things not working as Apple says they should.

I've found their advertised seamless hotspot isn't working seamlessly at all. Indeed, needed to keep my iPhone on iOS 12 because iOS 13 broke hotspot from my iPad to non-Apple devices (disconnects every few minutes). I've file a bug report when I encountered it. Hope 13.3.1 fixes it.
Odd, I use hotspot all the time and have never had an issue. Not to dismiss your issue, of course. One of the downsides to Apple is it can be very non responsive with regards to certain issues or design decisions. I bashed my head against the wall for years over how they handle audiobooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #133
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I also have hotspot issues. when I try to connect a device It cant connect. espically with my kobo devices
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #134
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

For my use on my iPhone XR, iOS 13 seems stable, though somewhat annoying due to the new menu options taking longer to accomplish many tasks. I’ve mentioned this before, I hate having to touch the darn screen 3 or 4 times to do simple tasks that only took a single touch in iOS 12. Especially since the expanded menus more often than not have added new features I never, or rarely, use or care about. But at least things like Mail and Safari still work without much issue under iOS 13.

For my use on my iPad Pro 9.7, iPadOS 13 is a buggy pile of poop. Mail doesn't auto update the Inbox unless I plug it into a charger. If I want to see new Mail which has long since arrived timely on my iPhone XR and MacBook Pro, I have to drag down on the screen multiple times to get them to load, and they don’t always load even then. Once I plug it in to a charger, within 5 minutes they do load. Go figure.

Safari, well that has morphed into a mess. Like Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory might ask, I often think, "What fresh hell is this?" There have been too many page loading issues with iPadOS 13 that were not there in iOS 12. I seem to have to close the app and restart it a LOT, which usually fixes the loading and page issues. These same websites load fine each and every time on my MacBook Pro 9.7 and iPhone XR.

And even though a certain poster says this next issue has been around for years, I never encountered it on any iPad past or present until iPadOS 13. I still get that stupid looking Portrait view of icons coupled with the Landscape view of the Favorite apps strip. What the bleep is that crap! A perpendicular Home page is not good. I can easily fix it with a rotation or two of the iPad, but geez that is annoying. And it is happening almost every time I turn the iPad on.

And I’m getting lots of issues apparently due to low memory (not storage space but RAM) that I never encountered under iOS 12. Most apps are okay, but a few have slowed to a crawl, and they have to be closed and reopened often.

Perhaps iPadOS works better on a top of the line, brand new iPad, but it blows huge chunks on my not that old iPad Pro 9.7.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-04-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #135
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

iPadOS 13.3.1 seems to have totally screwed up Safari on my iPad Pro 9.7. I’m having to constantly shut it down and restart it. Sometimes I have to restart the iPad to get Safari to work again. Changing from landscape to portrait or vice versa often causes the browser window to go wonky and cuts off half or so of the window and doesn’t allow pinching to correct it. After just a few minutes of browsing all web pages will be blank except right at the top which appears to show the bottom of the page, but I can’t scroll up or down. That usually requires an iPad restart. I wonder if there is a memory management/leak issue going on. Safari took a hit on my iPad Pro 9.7 with iPadOS 13, but it has suddenly mushroomed into a nearly unusable app. I’m no fanboy of any company, but I do like my Apple goodies, usually. But this iPadOS 13.x.y garbage is really getting me down. I used to be able to say one thing about iOS and macOS, and that was that they always worked. I can’t honestly say that for iPadOS.

Although my iPhone XR has done rather well under iOS 13, with 13.3.1 my iPhone no longer lists Recent calls. I really like that feature and use it often to block unwanted calls from marketers and political candidates. I know I can use a more convoluted method to block numbers, but you have to know what the number is, and that is problematic when Recents remains blank. The number is briefly shown in notification, but goes away as soon as you open the iPhone. This might not be related to 13.3.1, but I’ve never encountered it with any other iPhone or iOS version. I do see on the internet searches that others have had the problem in the past, especially with the iPhone 6.

ETA: Forgot to mention that restarting my iPhone XR fixed the Recent calls issue.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-14-2020 at 11:13 AM.