Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #1741
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes. It is a reading mode. 99.9% of my time is reading. If I want to lookup something in the dictionary, make it a non-primary function. As far as highlighting, that is something that I do 0.005% of the time, so to me it is irrelevant.

Stating that it can't be done because it currently works a certain way makes no sense to me.
Your being as bad as the other Jon here. I cannot see anything in the original suggestion implied removing any function. They just wanted to make the tap zone for forward to be a bit bigger than any of the current options. The only real implication for making the whole screen a next-page tap zone is how to display the menu. Selection, dictionary look up etc could all work the same.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #1742
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Your being as bad as the other Jon here. I cannot see anything in the original suggestion implied removing any function. They just wanted to make the tap zone for forward to be a bit bigger than any of the current options. The only real implication for making the whole screen a next-page tap zone is how to display the menu. Selection, dictionary look up etc could all work the same.
My apologies for mis-represented the other poster. I meant to comment on what I want. I believe I previously requested this (although my memory gets flakier as I get older.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #1743
jxall
Enthusiast
jxall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD (patched-100% kepubs); Calibre 4 (Win10)
How likely it is that 'advanced settings for sideloaded fonts' patch gets merged into the official firmware?

A few fonts of mine definitely need some weight to be added, but I'd never mess with the firmware for a reason like this one.
It's 2020, and even Kindle devices allow users to manipulate sideloaded fonts as a default behaviour...!
jxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:40 AM   #1744
gabryele
Enthusiast
gabryele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxall View Post
A few fonts of mine definitely need some weight to be added, but I'd never mess with the firmware for a reason like this one.
I inserted some personalized fonts which, however, were too thin.
then I took the "regular" version of the font and replaced it with the "medium" version.

gabryele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #1745
jxall
Enthusiast
jxall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD (patched-100% kepubs); Calibre 4 (Win10)
I am aware of that workaraound, but some of these fonts don't have a Medium weight.

Does it happen often that patches are merged into the official firmware?
jxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #1746
stringsonfire
stringsonfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Does anyone know if it'd be possible to reduce the minimum backlight level below the current 1%? I've always found the backlight on the Aura One to be too bright to use in bed when it's the only light source, even at warmest setting on 1%, but I'm not sue if this is a hardware or firmware limitation.
stringsonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #1747
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringsonfire View Post
Does anyone know if it'd be possible to reduce the minimum backlight level below the current 1%? I've always found the backlight on the Aura One to be too bright to use in bed when it's the only light source, even at warmest setting on 1%, but I'm not sue if this is a hardware or firmware limitation.
Or it could be that your just sensitive to the light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #1748
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxall View Post
I am aware of that workaraound, but some of these fonts don't have a Medium weight.

Does it happen often that patches are merged into the official firmware?
You could just apply the Advanced Font Control (I think it mifght be a different name now) patch and be able to adjust the weight of the fonts.

There is one thing to note. There is a bug where the fonts don't show the newly adjusted weight after you adjust. A reboot will get the fonts to display in the correct weight. You will still be able to see the new weight in the adjustment screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo