Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #151
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just a note in here to say that I've effectively abandoned any attempt to keep my tracking up to date here. The last 7 months have not really allowed me to focus on anything but "life", and while I've certainly read as much (or more) than other years, the vast majority of it has been comfort re-reads. As for buying new books? Well, THAT is pretty much precluded by said life, but fortunately my libraries have picked up the slack.
That is regrettable. You are part of the intelligent crowd on mobileread. Hope to see you return to full mode in the future.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #152
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Who here succeeded in meeting their goals in 2019? I fell quite a bit short so I dragged the goals in ward and started off again in the 2020 race. Thus far I have finished three more books towards the 2020 goals.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #153
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I will make my 100 book goal, I'm currently reading the 100th and plan to finish it tonight. My usual 40,000 page goal I didn't make. I'll expect to read another couple of books before the end of the year, I think I'll fall short by 2000-2500 pages. I did finish my series goals; finishing all the series that I had on my "active" list on January 1.

I don't mind missing my page goal; it's because of a couple of new hobbies I discovered this year. Which means that I did have fun and was able to relax and that's, at this moment in my life, the most important thing.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #154
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The year was a mixed bag for me. The good:
  • I soared over my 120-book benchmark.
  • I exceeded my topic goals in regard to ancient history and Germany between the Treaty of Versailles and VE-Day.
  • I read all twelve New Leaf Book Club selections.

The bad:
  • I read about half as many books on my Goodreads Want to Read list as I planned.
  • My plan to read two doorstoppers was an abject failure. Nothing achieved on that front.

I'm not unhappy; if I hit all my goals I could argue that I wasn't reaching far enough. However, I sense in myself that I'm about to head down a dangerous path, that of repeating goals; in this case both the failed doorstopper one and the ancient history and Germany ones, as I'm enjoying them so much. History provides ample proof that I don't succeed with goals carried forward, whether or not they were a success a year earlier.

Maybe next year will be different!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #155
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Going to be shy again this year...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:23 AM   #156
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I came down with some form of bug this weekend which ended up giving me a lot more reading time than I would have otherwise had. I might now be able to meet my goal this year if I am able to finish one more book. It will be close.

I'm considering re-reading Harry Potter; we're getting the movies since my eldest dearly wants to see them and it might help me if I refresh first. Either that or a 285 page book from my TBR which is the bare minimum I need to meet my goal.

I'll load a couple up and decide in the morning.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #157
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Good to see that so far, everybody is close to or met some of their goals. CRussell, I hope life stops throwing too much at you, but I know that once you get behind listing, it is pretty hard to catch up. I was listing my purchases and that got out of hand (but I do have them all listed on a spreadsheet).

As to my goals, I far surpassed my 100 book goal this year primarily due to my knee injury and more limited activity. My budget was toast by April. Magazine reading also fell to the wayside as did my visits to the YMCA (which is where I was reading them). Better in 2020.

An unstated goal was to complete several series and I have done that! Finished several trilogies that had been started before and finally finished Diskworld! I am also 3 books shy of completing the 55 book 87th Precinct series by Ed McBain.

Next year, I have a fair number of doorstops to read/listen, so instead of total books, I'm looking to reading at least 3,000 pages per month as a goal. Once again, I will strive to lower my TBR. I want to end the year with at least 10 fewer titles separately in audiobooks, ebooks and magazines.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-31-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #158
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Length Goals:
Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) | Total Pages: 25,000 | ETBR Reduction: 25 | PTBR Reduction: 10
Substantive Goals:
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/nonbinary authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club/Literary Book Club selections

2019 Totals:

89 books - 178% of my goal - GOAL MET
38 short stories - 73% of my goal - GOAL NOT MET
21,193 - 85% of my goal - GOAL NOT MET
48% female/nonbinary authors / 52% male authors - GOAL NOT MET
43% US authors / 57% non-US authors - GOAL MET
ETBR Reduction: Reduced by 39 - 156% of my goal - GOAL MET
PTBR Reduction: Reduced by -9 - -90% of my goal - GOAL NOT MET
Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club/Literary Book Club selections - GOAL MET

(Geeky spreadsheet snaps attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Stats Summary.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	175957   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Detailed Stats.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	175958  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #159
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I didn’t make my goal this year. Only read 27 books. But stuff happens I guess. Which is why I gotta not but so many. Gotta have less books on the Kobo, not more.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #160
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Time for a final report on my reading challenge for 2019.

My goal was "to buy fewer books than I read".

I read 135 books in 2019. I bought 166 books in 2019. So on the raw numbers I've failed.

But looking closer, 15 of those 166 were books I'd read before, but wanted in ebook form. So we can ignore those. 135 vs 151. And 23 others were reference books, or books included in bundles that I'm not going to read, and so aren't added to my TBR. 135 vs 128!

But if we're going to discard some books, I must also included the freebies I added to my TBR this year - seven of them.

So that makes 135 read vs 135 acquired. I break even.

Except that eight of the books I read were re-reads. But I also discarded 29 books from my TBR pile as being books I was now no longer interested in ever reading.

So that makes 156 books removed, and just 135 added.

An overall reduction of 21 for the year!

While I've managed to end up with a reduction in my TBR, I think I'll have to do better next year, and end up with both a reduction in my TBR, and a clear gap between the books I buy and the books I read.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #161
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
My target was eleventy-one, but only hit the century mark. Not really disappoint; but I think I will stick merely 100 reads next year.

Of that total, 62% were new reads. Unfortunately, my TBR is over 500, so all things being equal, I have around eight years of reading in that not-very-static pile.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #162
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I should be finishing up my goal shortly. It was to read all twelve of the lit club selections for 2019, and I'm at 11 out of 12 and close to the end of the twelfth. I had decided I'd give an extra month buffer to complete the challenge because, well, why not? I thought, no reason for a rush of reading the last few days of the decade to meet an arbitrary goal, so this January is also included to finish things up. I've given myself the entire month as a buffer but my goal will probably be complete within a few days.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote