Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
geko
geko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Need help with library listing

Ok I've been looking around all over for the answer to my situation. I haven't found it so I'm going to ask.
I have around 200 Star Wars books I've accumulated over the years. I have them all listed in my file on my comp according to the series they're in and what book they are. For instance- New Jedi Order 01- Vector Prime.

I just downloaded Calibre 2 days ago and my problem is when I move the books into the library it sorts them by only the book name so the before mentioned book only reads as Vector Prime and not how I renamed the file at it's source.

Anybody know how I can keep my library in order lol.
geko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko View Post
I have around 200 Star Wars books I've accumulated over the years. I have them all listed in my file on my comp according to the series they're in and what book they are. For instance- New Jedi Order 01- Vector Prime.
A fine way of sorting your books. Calibre will not change the name of any source file. Your source files are not touched in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko View Post
I just downloaded Calibre 2 days ago and my problem is when I move the books into the library it sorts them by only the book name so the before mentioned book only reads as Vector Prime and not how I renamed the file at it's source.
I'm a little confused on your needs so I'll just touch on some random things to see if any of the help at all.

First you can sort on virtually any field within calibre. Just click on the column header.
*unrelated point - If this is a new install you should point the library to a new empty folder. Pointing it to a folder with a bunch of books may cause a mess.
With calibre you no longer keep the book's metadata in the file name. The title of the book is Vector Prime the Series name is Jedi Order and it is book 1. These are all fields within the metadata.

If calibre is not automatically populating the series name and number you can go to Preferences - Add/Save - Adding books - and check the Read metadata only from file name feature. Now adjust the reg expression and test Add(import) a book to see if it populates correctly.

Calibre will name the file as it sees fit within its database folders. The calibre library folders are a hands off area meant to be used by calibre for keeping track of books. You can import/add books to calibre, and when you export/save/send books from calibre you can adjust the file names six ways from Sunday.

I'll let other folks guide you on the add(import) books reg ex to ensure the books are tagged as needed.

My brain is a jumble this morning hopefully I didn't make things worse.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-29-2010 at 04:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
geko
geko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
It helped alot. I didn't know what the metadata refered to so I left it alone. I have it almost exactly how I want it and I know how to fix the little bit that isn't where I want it.

THanks a bunch
geko is offline   Reply With Quote