Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
cantona
cantona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Converting PDF

Hi

I have about 10 PDF ebooks on my PC at the moment. I bought my kindle last week and I am waiting for it to arrive. From what I understand I must convert these to a different format so the text can be resized in the Kindle making them more readable. What program should I use?

Regards,
Cantona

PS. The PDF's are all text, no diagrams.
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Mobipocket Creator Publisher edition does a decent job of converting PDF to mobi format. I then use Calibre to convert to RTF and edit that file using MS Office. There are generally a lot of line breaks instead of paragraph marks and line breaks at the end of every line for certain chapters that I fix in Office and then convert the cleaned up RTF file back to mobi in Calibre. If you are not picky about formatting you may be happy with just the first run through from Mobipocket Creator. Both Mobipocket Creator and Calibre are free software that you can find using google and you could use about any word processing program to edit an RTF file. When you install Mobipocket Creator there are 2 options, choose Publisher edtion or there will not be an option for Adobe PDF.

I've tried several different programs to convert PDF and this has worked best for me overall.

I think the kindle can read pdf files now but have never tried this. You could find more info about that in the kindle forum.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
Mobipocket Creator Publisher edition does a decent job of converting PDF to mobi format. I then use Calibre to convert to RTF and edit that file using MS Office.
Uh, that sounds like a rather convoluted approach. Why not use Calibre to convert from PDF to your preferred target format?

Quote:
There are generally a lot of line breaks instead of paragraph marks and line breaks at the end of every line for certain chapters that I fix in Office and then convert the cleaned up RTF file back to mobi in Calibre.
You are manuall fixing linebreaks in Office? That sounds painful.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
For all text PDFs, try PDFReflow, which will take a PDF, reflow it, and create an output HTML document. You can find PDFReflow in the PDF forum here on MobileRead. You can then use Calibre to create an ebook for your kindle.

Calibre will take a PDF and convert it to kindle format all by itself, but it currently doesn't reflow as well as PDFReflow.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote