Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 04:25 AM   #106
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
Tablet?

Double post .... bloody proxy .... sorry!
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #107
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please, stay as far away from anything to do with Packard Bell as you can.
Seconded!
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #108
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
iPad! iPad iPad iPad!!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #109
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
iPad! iPad iPad iPad!!
You must be one of those knights I've heard about...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #110
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
You must be one of those knights I've heard about...
Or something else.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #111
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
iPad! iPad iPad iPad!!
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #112
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I keep thinking of Abe Simpson screaming "EPA, EPA , EPA" in The Simpsons Movie
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #113
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
iPads?

Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #114
Suzy Kindlefan
Suzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enoughSuzy Kindlefan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Okay I got an iPad, and guess what? I am still reading on my Kindle. The iPad is more like a replacement for my laptop (for some things) and my iPhone (for other things). But, as many have pointed out, reading on a backlit device is harder on your eyes. Add in the lighter weight, and easier portability, and you know why my Kindle is still my default reader.

I wrote an article comparing them before I even owned an iPad, and I now know I will keep my Kindle for a long time to come.

http://suzy237.wordpress.com/2010/06...kindle-killer/
Suzy Kindlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #115
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Okay, I'm not really sick of it... I was merely thinking of an essay

But many companies are putting all their eggs in the iPad basket, and ignoring the fact that at some point, the iPad is not going to be the Big Toy on the block. only one.

something brand new, and better than what's out here now... and every manufacturer will switch over, again. Think about how you'll feel when all the apps you loaded into your iPad can't be ported into your new device,
I will agree with you that there should be concern about ebook purchases, and whether or not they will be available in he future if technology changes. It is a personal concern, because I went through a deal with ereader, and was unable to download 40 or so ebooks purchased from there, out of 400 or so purchased, for several months. This concern really needs to be addressed if there is going to be a vibrant ebook industry. This type of nonsense is just an incentive for piracy.

However, I can't agree with the dissing of the iPad. Microsoft and others had years where they tried to develop and market computers in the tablet format, and all of the products sucked, in large measure because of m$'s crappy operating system and the pricing of these units. Apple gave us a decently priced device that works almost flawlessly. Will there be competition? Of course. I am waiting to see what the Adam tablet will be like. Is the iPad perfect? No, I would like, for example, to get away from the iTunes lockin and be able to access it's filesystem without jail breaking.

But Apple has given us a tablet that works very well, and the other companies couldn't do it. So what if I can't move my apps over. The most I have paid for an app is $20, and if one day I have to spend $100 to buy new programs for a new device, who cares? And if the tablet that replaces my iPad has an open source OS like Android on the Adam tablet, well, most of what I use will be free.

Content is another matter. It is more expensive, and I do not want to lose books I have bought, or movies, or music, or data I have typed in or documents I have created. Apple needs to do better with this. Many of the good companies that sell books or write programs have kept up with the technology, and have potted their programs to the new devices. For example, the Pleco Chinese dictionary was first developed for the palm, and is now on the iPad, and Users actually received a free upgrade. Amazon has made it's reader available for the iPad, so I can read on my iPad or kindle.

As for windows smartphone support, well, one would have to have rocks in one's head to buy a windows based phone. One of my daughters bought one, and it dropped calls consistently out of the box,until I tweaked various settings just like I have to on windows desktops, and even then the performance was crappy.

The iPad is not magical, as Steve Jobs claims, but it is a very nice device with no competitor at this time. Certainly not the "ugly baby" HP Slate, which crashed and burned after launch. Winows will get slam dunked in this market because of performance issues and crappy reliability. I think the future is in the tablet devices. You will carry one everywhere, and plug it into a dock at work and at home to be able to use network resources and peripherals like mice and keyboards. I use my iPad dock/keyboard when at home all the time.

The other thing the iPad needs is transreflective screen display, so it can be used outside. That is where the kindle shines. But you can't adequately access the net on the kindle, it really sucks for that.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #116
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Steve, most people are happy to be fleeced, as long as they are in the "in" crowd. That's the one truism that Mr. Jobs has completely grasped. Make things easy, simple and cool, and you can overcharge with impunity..

A harsh view of humanity, I'll grant you, but consistent with my observations over the years....
Sorry, I did not buy an iPad to be cool. I bought it for it's utility. Not only video and reading, but I can remotely manage servers from it, using VNC and SSH. I can process words easily on it using my keyboard dock.

It is a great device, not perfect, but nothing else out there can compete at this time. The ipad's OS, like OSX, from which it is derived, is rock solid. And it is reasonably priced. What is there not to like?
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon, ipad, proprietary