Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Surfin' MobileRead on Kindle 2 Screen Grabs

If you're a new Kindle owner, you should know that if you want to save a screen grab (print screen) on Kindle 1 or Kindle 2, use the key combination of alt+shit+g.

On Kindle 1, you must have an SD card installed to use this trick as the images will be saved as .gif files on the SD card.

On Kindle 2, the .gif files are saved in the "documents" folder.

I'm starting with images I grabbed while surfing MobileRead on the K2 browser, which, by the way seems significantly faster than K1 to me. I visited MR using the mobile version, then the regular site in both basic and advanced modes. Mobile and basic are pretty fast. Advanced slows things down and is more tedious but I was able to see images and avatars very well. In basic mode to see an image in a post, I had to click on an image tag which sent me to a page with just the image on it.

I also noticed that with Mobile and Basic, the text was darker (darker still if you bump up the font size). In advanced mode the text was this medium gray and difficult to read. If I need to surf on K2, I'll stick with basic mode (probably over mobile versions of the sites).

The images show which mode I was using at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MR TTS thread Basic.gif
Views:	327
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	24629   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR TTS thread Advanced.gif
Views:	320
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	24630   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR TTS not signed in Advanced.gif
Views:	318
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	24631   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR Advanced.gif
Views:	310
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	24632   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR forum threads Advanced.gif
Views:	293
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	24633   Click image for larger version

Name:	MR book cover thread Basic.gif
Views:	313
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	24634  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did you try the mobile version of MR? It is optimized for mobile devices.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you try the mobile version of MR? It is optimized for mobile devices.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/

BOb
Yes, notice I mentioned the mobile version a couple of times.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yes, notice I mentioned the mobile version a couple of times.
Ah, it wasn't clear to me that is what you meant. Also, all of your screen prints were of the .com site.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah, it wasn't clear to me that is what you meant. Also, all of your screen prints were of the .com site.

BOb
I consider the mobile site (mobi) to be a given. We know it works. I wanted to take the K2 through it's paces on the .com site since the browser is faster (to me).
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I consider the mobile site (mobi) to be a given. We know it works. I wanted to take the K2 through it's paces on the .com site since the browser is faster (to me).
Cool, nice work. Have some K! But I think I'll stick to Firefox.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Is it possible to bookmark sites, such as the mobile version of Mobileread, on the K2? I haven't found how to do it yet.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
Is it possible to bookmark sites, such as the mobile version of Mobileread, on the K2? I haven't found how to do it yet.
Yep, Just click menu and you'll see the option to "bookmark this page". It will be added to the end of you bookmarked sites list.

You can also make a text file with plain links of sites you visit often and just click on those links and the bowser will open. It won't be pretty but it works. At least it worked with K1 that way. I haven't tried it with K2.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Yep, Just click menu and you'll see the option to "bookmark this page". It will be added to the end of you bookmarked sites list.

You can also make a text file with plain links of sites you visit often and just click on those links and the bowser will open. It won't be pretty but it works. At least it worked with K1 that way. I haven't tried it with K2.
Thank you, Daffy! Will try both methods to see which I like better. Silly me, I didn't think "bookmarked" meant that it would go in a link list - I thought it would get interspersed with the book bookmarks.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
May I point out mowser.com and mowser.mobi/ for nothing but mobile links! Bookmark it and have any number of mobile sites to click on for news, businss, and entertainment.
I like the idea of the text file with favorite mobile links. Thanks!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
drew00149
Connoisseur
drew00149 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iRex iLiad, HTC Kaiser
Hey that's pretty cool. Dunno if I would use it with an internet enabled phone but it would be cool if my 505 did that.

How is the battery life affected by this?
drew00149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2 browser