Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
tinybilbo
tinybilbo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
How can I aggregate News/Rss feeds to .mobi

Hi,

I've had my Cybook a couple of weeks now and I am loving it, especially the ability to download newsfeeds via Mobipocket Reader. (I don't live in the U.K anymore and newspapers are always a week late).

I've successfully converted pdf's, doc's, html's, and chm's, and now I stuck on one last thing....

Since the cybook book/folder handling sucks so badly - it's a pain selecting the book/feed that I want to read (I have about 80 items - and would like more).

I want to aggregate certain newsfeeds together under one header, i.e all newsfeeds together and all videogames reviews/news under under another header.

I have used both http://xfruits.com and http://mysyndicaat.com to combine my feeds and then use mobipocket reader to download the new feeds.
This does indeed work, but... the new feed is generated as a single (long) list. While this is not the worst thing in the world - I would prefer that each feed has its own header in the main toc and then after selecting that header, another (sub)-toc to the actual news.

I'm stuck - so if anybody has a working solution that they might like to share - I would be very grateful...

This probably will become redundant after the next cybook firmware update (which I believe is supposed to have folder management), but until then this would be very useful.

Many thanks
tinybilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
You could have a look at feedbooks.com and their features for handling news. It is possible to aggregate many feeds in one file using the "Newspaper" function. In the TOC each feed has its own header.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
tinybilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
You could have a look at feedbooks.com and their features for handling news. It is possible to aggregate many feeds in one file using the "Newspaper" function. In the TOC each feed has its own header.
I have already tried feedbooks, and while it does indeed aggregate the feeds with a TOC (which I only realised when you mentioned it) - I can't get the links to scrape the info any deeper than the main header. I.e, BBC World News feed just pulls in the headers and maybe 2 lines, whereas the exact same url in Mobireader pulls in the headers and the full article.

Maybe I am doing something wrong... In which case could you please enlighten me .
Anyway, thanks for replying...
Old 11-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Strangest thing. What is the URL to the feed you have theese issues with?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
tinybilbo

Well - I tried quite a few different feeds at first.
But just for testing purposes I've been trying the BBC World News Feed

http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk//rss/newson...t_page/rss.xml

I got this feed directly from Mobireader reather than the BBC website.

If I create a newspaper in feedbooks and add this in as a feed (and then publish it), It only creates a small ebook with just the headers and a few lines of text.

The same feed when viewed in Mobireader also displays the same headers and lines of text, however when it creates the ebook (and transfers it to my cybook), It scrapes the full articles.

I'm wondering if it's just a setting on the Feedbooks website - except that I can't seem to find it!...

Thanks

*Edit*
Just a thought - I am using Newsstand to sync with - maybe stanza scrapes the extra info. I will Download it and try it later.

Last edited by tinybilbo; 11-08-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Prospect
Other

If you look at the source of the rss-feed it does not contain anything else than the header and the lead text. This means that Mobipocket follows the link and fetches the rest of the arcticle and inserts it to the file. So in this case it seems like mobipocket is doing somthing extra and not feedboks doing somting wrong.