Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #151
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Ahhh - I guess I could have been more informative!

Option 7 does delete the firmware and does leave the Reader showing the message you described. When you connect to PC and run the Sony Updater, however, that reloads the Sony firmware and then you run the Customiser (all without affecting your on device library).

I fell into the same trap - delete the firmware then for some unexplicable reason tried to re-set and when that didn't work all logic and reason left me! I resorted to a plea on this board for help (which I received), plugged in and ran the Sony updater and all was well.

It was only when I had the reader running again and thought about it that my one sensible brain cell hiding in among the billiions of non-sensible ones piped up and pointed out that as I had deleted the firmware how could I expect the reader to work at all until I had reloaded!

Sorry for the panic attack...

David

Last edited by macphersondh; 08-20-2008 at 11:37 PM.
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #152
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
Thanks for the explanation - at least I understand it now. And for the help. Now I can rest - after reading some of my current book BTW, aside from making most things selectible, what were the changes incorporated into the .04a release? Seems I have everything I set out to get in the way of hacks......
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #153
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmgreen View Post
Whew! Took me literally 5 tries but somehow the Reader finally reset (I wish I understood why these devices are so finicky). Once that was done I took a chance and an the Sony updater rathe than retrying to do option 7 again (even though it DID say the chane was unsuccessful). It took 10 minutes to reboot but then I ran the customizer and all is well. BTW, I did all this with version .03 which ultimately worked fine. Considering the number of books I have on this and the $300 investment in the Reader I think I lost at least a couple of months' life expectancy over this one.... glad the update finally worked ...... :-)
I'm sorry you misunderstood the directions and suffered so much agitation. All option seven does is wipe all firmware from your reader, leaving it ready to re-flash with the official Sony Updater.

Quote:
On personalization. Looking at page 1 of this thread, it says to move the modified file to the 18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\resource\script folder. There is no script folder under resources in the 04a version. Also the kBookAssests.png file is called kBookAssets1.png in 04a. Should I create the script folder or just move it to resources and should I rename kBookAssets1 to kBookAssets?

Thanks.
Regarding personalization, all PRSCustomizer does is place your name,email and telephone number on the reader's About page. Regarding the kBookAssets.png file, as stated in the directions: As an additional customization not provided by this program, you can hand-modify your Reader logo. -- This involves editing the kBookAssets.png file with an editor such as Photoshop or Gimp. If you're not reasonably competent with these or similar programs I urge you not to take the extra step, for you'll surely brick your reader.

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation - at least I understand it now. And for the help. Now I can rest - after reading some of my current book BTW, aside from making most things selectible, what were the changes incorporated into the .04a release? Seems I have everything I set out to get in the way of hacks......
No new changes were incorporated into .04a, other than selectability. I'd heed the old maxim, If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #154
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
JFYI, option 7 does not actually "wipe the firmware" but it does switch the Reader into the firmware update mode. It's possible (theoretically) to switch back to the "normal" mode but it's much simpler just to run the flasher again.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #155
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I'm sorry you misunderstood the directions and suffered so much agitation. All option seven does is wipe all firmware from your reader, leaving it ready to re-flash with the official Sony Updater.

Regarding personalization, all PRSCustomizer does is place your name,email and telephone number on the reader's About page. Regarding the kBookAssets.png file, as stated in the directions: As an additional customization not provided by this program, you can hand-modify your Reader logo. -- This involves editing the kBookAssets.png file with an editor such as Photoshop or Gimp. If you're not reasonably competent with these or similar programs I urge you not to take the extra step, for you'll surely brick your reader.

No new changes were incorporated into .04a, other than selectability. I'd heed the old maxim, If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It
I not only know how to hand manipulate these items I successfully made the changes. It wasn't a question of how to do that, however; my questions re: .04a was that the names of the kBookAsset file changed and the script sub-folder was missing. This was not the case in .03 which I ultimately used. Looking at the .xml script in .03 it did in fact call explicitley for the orginal spelling for the asset file. All academic now since it is done (in my case) but does a fix need to be made to .04a for others who will only read the first page of the thread and then attempt this with that version? Thanks!
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #156
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
JFYI, option 7 does not actually "wipe the firmware" but it does switch the Reader into the firmware update mode. It's possible (theoretically) to switch back to the "normal" mode but it's much simpler just to run the flasher again.
Thanks for that clarification, Igorsk.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #157
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
I not only know how to hand manipulate these items I successfully made the changes. It wasn't a question of how to do that, however; my questions re: .04a was that the names of the kBookAsset file changed and the script sub-folder was missing.
Congratulations. I'll make sure I either rename or delete kBookAssets1.png from the next revision. Thanks for pointing this out. As far as files.505.1.1.00.18040/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/scripts/ goes, I suggest you check again. Both the Flasher and my program fail if it's not present.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #158
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have a new feature you can drop into 0.05. For those who like the joypad for turning pages and do not use the mp3 player functionality, they may prefer to have the volume buttons be page turns instead and the history can be left alone. Also, make the page turns on the left history as well so when you have the joypad as page turns, you can have the left side page turns as history.
Code:
			<boolean key="0x41" do="doPrevious"/>
			<boolean key="0x41-hold" do="doFirst"/>
			<boolean key="0x40" do="doNext"/>
			<boolean key="0x40-hold" do="doLast"/>
That is for changing the volume to be page turns.

Code:
			<boolean key="0x31" do="doLeft"/>
			<boolean key="0x31-hold" do="doFirst"/>
			<boolean key="0x30" do="doRight"/>
			<boolean key="0x30-hold" do="doLast"/>
This is the code for changing the lower right page turn circle button to be history.

Code:
			<boolean key="0x41" do="doLeft"/>
			<boolean key="0x41-hold" do="doLeft"/>
			<boolean key="0x40" do="doRight"/>
			<boolean key="0x40-hold" do="doRight"/>
This hack should make the volume be history in case the circle button is not wanted as history.

Now if someone would not mind testing these to see if I got them right.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #159
JeffElkins
Guru

As configured, these hacks aren't working for me.

Quote:
<group id="PAGE_GROUP" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0" visible="false">
I placed them under the section above in main.xml just after the
Quote:
<function id="doRight">
this.bubble("doNext");
</function>
hack.

Perhaps they need to be enclosed in a function bubble, just as the joystick next page hack needed to be.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No function bubbles are needed as far as I can tell. All that's needed is to replace the key functions. I've not seen that any function bubbles are needed. The hacks for the 500 were just key function replacement and when I did some on the 505, it was the same.

I'll grab a fresh XML from Flasher 2.0 and tell you what lines those are.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #161
JeffElkins
Guru

My "duh" post.

Last edited by JeffElkins; 08-22-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: a senior moment
Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #162
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The code I posted is from applicationStart.xml. Nothing gets edited in main.xml to get the keypress to change.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #163
JeffElkins
Guru

0.05 Test

PRSCustomizer 0.05 is now available.

Last edited by JeffElkins; 08-25-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #164
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The code I posted is from applicationStart.xml. Nothing gets edited in main.xml to get the keypress to change.
Duh, I knew that Sorry, the thinking cap is askew today. Blame it on Tropical Storm Fay.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Did you get to testing my hacks and did they actually work?