Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
feedANDread
feedANDread began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Economist - Back Issues

Hi Calibre Community,

Big thanks to the developer Kovid Goyal! What a fantastic resource. I am using Calibre to download the Economist and send to my Kindle Paperwhite. Unfortunately, I missed a couple of issues from a few weeks ago and wanted to see if it was possible to modify the existing recipe to get a specific back issue. I can find the issue URL at http://www.economist.com/printedition/ followed by the date. I have read the forum posts here and it looks like a few years ago this was asked but not solved, but I did try out those recipes. Can anyone give guidance on how to get specific back issues for the Economist.

Thanks!
feedANDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedANDread View Post
Hi Calibre Community,

Big thanks to the developer Kovid Goyal! What a fantastic resource. I am using Calibre to download the Economist and send to my Kindle Paperwhite. Unfortunately, I missed a couple of issues from a few weeks ago and wanted to see if it was possible to modify the existing recipe to get a specific back issue. I can find the issue URL at http://www.economist.com/printedition/ followed by the date. I have read the forum posts here and it looks like a few years ago this was asked but not solved, but I did try out those recipes. Can anyone give guidance on how to get specific back issues for the Economist.

Thanks!
Interesting request! I can see how many folks would like that. In the meantime (I don't code recipes...) you can set Calibre to keep back issues, and you can set a windows task to start Calibre at a specific time each day. Not as good as what you requested but maybe close enough until someone can tweak the recipe.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
feedANDread
feedANDread began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the suggestions NSILMike! Unfortunately, I'm unable to keep a computer on for a prolonged period, otherwise that would fix it for sure.

In terms of a recipe, even if I had to modify a couple lines here or there to specify the edition that I want, that would be work. If anyone has some ideas I am willing to listen to theory and try and poke around on existing recipes.

I don't really agree with how the Economist distributes their subscriptions, I have the print and digital subscriptions but want to read on my Kindle which isn't an option (unless you want to give Amazon lots of money too), and browsing from a computer doesn't really have the mobility I am looking for. I don't always have access to the print edition because I travel, and it adds to things I have to carry when I travel. It seems I can't be alone on this desire to be able to download past issues.
feedANDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
sup
Connoisseur
sup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2012)
All you need to do is to modify the recipe with the actual url of the isseu you want. It is as of Calibre 2.76 line 22 of hte recipe, you need to set the variable INDEX, for example for the issue from last week like this:

INDEX = 'http://www.economist.com/printedition/2017-01-07'

(originally, it is just INDEX = 'http://www.economist.com/printedition')
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
teotjunk
Connoisseur
teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
How do I modify the recipe? I read in the instructions is to Add a custom news source" dialog screen. but I cannot find the screen
teotjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
edwardwong
edwardwong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2016
After you click "Add a custom news source", on the bottom you will see a row of buttons, click on "Customize builtin recipe". Then scroll down until you find "The Economist (en)". Click that, and the recipe editor will open. Then look for the INDEX line (should be line 22) and add in the date of the back issue. Check with the Economist web site for the exact URL.

Click Save and close the custom news source window.

Now click the drop down button next to "Fetch news" and then click "Schedule news download" . On the left side bar, expand "Custom [##]" , click on The Economist, and then click "Download Now". Repeat again for other back issues. (Don't forget to set it back to the default INDEX URL when you are done!)

Enjoy!
edwardwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
teotjunk
Connoisseur
teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
That is the thing, I cannot see the add a customs new source button. It is okay. I found it
teotjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back issues, calibre, economist, recipe