Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
T3 fonts & custom fonts

What does the "Original" font setting do? On every epub book I've checked, it is the same as the "Amasis" setting.

Separately, I tried adding a "fonts" folder to the Reader root and using calibre to format a book with a custom font. Of course, the font path must be correct in the CSS, as noted in T1 threads here. It works. However, you can no longer select any of the T3 built-in fonts when viewing that book.

A short summary of what I have found so far:

Custom fonts can be added to the T3 in a similar way as the stock 350, using a fonts folder on the Reader and the CSS font path:
---src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/YOUR_FONT---
In this case, you cannot change the font in this book on the T3.

Embedded fonts via calibre with no CSS work on the T3.
Here, also, you cannot change the font in this book on the T3.

Books previously formatted in calibre with custom fonts for the 350 (using the 350 font path) have no adverse effect on the T3. The old CSS has no effect on fonts, but you can change to any of the stock T3 fonts on the fly. Other calibre conversion settings, e.g. margins, work nicely.

After all of this, I still can't make any sense of what the T3 "Original" font setting does. It's Amasis in every epub where you can change the font!

BTW, this is a really nice reader. I skipped the previous T's, but had to get this one in case Sony drops out of the ereader market completely. I do miss some of the features from the 350 with PRS+, but the T3 will be just fine. It's an elegant piece of hardware.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The PRST3 may have changed since the T1 but how are you coding your @font-faces and css body class?

With my PRST1 (before the great Morkl June Reader hack became available) I'm pretty sure that I got most flexibility to change fonts on the Sony by coding the @font-faces like this
Code:
@font-face {font-family: serif; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/myfont.ttf)}
... etc x 4
In addition, don't include any font-family styles in the body css (or anywhere else for that matter). Then it should always default to serif which the above @font-faces have pointed at your custom font. With luck this is generic enough that the Sony will be able to override your @font-faces if you select one of the Sony built-in fonts, rather than 'Original'.

I don't have a T3 so I can't try it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi jackie_w. It seems you are always around when CSS questions come up!

I made the suggested changes. I can change fonts in the T3 menu, but now my GeorgiaEInk15 font does not show up at all. Here is my calibre CSS:

Code:
@font-face {
 font-family: serif;
 font-weight: normal;
 font-style: normal;
 src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15.ttf);
}
@font-face {
 font-weight: bold;
 font-style: normal;
 src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15Bold.ttf);
}
@font-face {
 font-weight: normal;
 font-style: italic;
 src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15Italic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
 font-weight: bold;
 font-style: italic;
 src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15BoldItalic.ttf);
}
body {
 widows: 0;
 orphans: 0;
}
When I open the book, the font once again defaults to "Amasis". That is, the menu says "Original", but that is always the same as "Amasis". So I still don't understand what "Original" is for.

All suggestions are appreciated...
Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Phil, I guess my css suggestions for Sony are now out-dated.

Just for interest I blew the cobwebs off my PRST1 (and disabled the Morkl hack). With the @font-faces and body css as per your above post. On the PRST1, choosing 'Original' displays as GeorgiaEInk and selecting one of Amasis, Frutiger, etc displays that selected font, i.e. giving a choice of 7 fonts. At least my memory hasn't completely gone!

A bit more PRST1 info, for any book text (e.g. headings) which has been deliberately styled with font-family: sans-serif; ... choosing 'Original' will show that text in the default sans-serif font. However, if one of Amasis, etc is selected, what should have been sans-serif is now also displayed in the selected font.

You asked what the difference between 'Original' and 'Amasis' is. You could try the above test to see if the two options give different results. If there is no difference then it sounds like the T3 may be using @fontfaces something like
Code:
@font-face {font-family: serif, sans-serif; ... src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf)}
for both 'Original' and 'Amasis'.

Oh, well. If fonts are important to you, you might like to dip a toe in Kobo waters one day
Old 12-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Phil_C
Addict

Jackie, I tried your test, but Original = Amasis no matter what. I also tried some other combinations in calibre CSS with no results.

Anyway, I can hard code my GeorgiaEInk15 in any book when I want it. It happens that my second favorite font is Amasis, so that is a good thing on the T3!

A couple of the other Sony fonts will be OK for a change now and then.

Thanks for your efforts.

Kobo? I think we need you to get your hands on a T3.
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
Kobo? I think we need you to get your hands on a T3.
Well, never say never if they introduce a frontlight (it's murky in the UK at this time of year) and a high-def screen to rival the AuraHD (once seen, never forgotten ). Otherwise, I think that horse bolted for me when Sony decided to knee-cap the benign hacking community.