Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Any tips for adjusting to PW2 touch screen?

I am wondering if anyone is having difficulty adjusting to the PW2 touch screen, particularly for paging forwards and backwards? The reason I ask is my mom just got her new Kindle Paperwhite gen2 and is having some trouble making the jump from her older kindle with physical buttons for turning the page to the touch screen.

I remember going through a similar thing with my PW1, but I adjusted fairly well. I still prefer the physical buttons, but I was sold on the screen light and it was enough of an improvement for me to deal with the touch screen. My mother is a bit frustrated by it, she feels like she's fighting with the kindle to get the pages to turn. She is also noticing it jump a number of pages forwards or back and doesn't seem to be able to control things very well. I have never run into anything like that personally so I am not sure exactly what she might be doing to have that effect.

I am going to visit in a couple of days so hopefully I can watch how she is using it and surmise what is causing the trouble. I would like to go in with as many arrows in my quiver as possible so if anyone has any suggestions or tips I would love to hear them.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Been a while since I had an eReader with Physical buttons, but when I got my Touch I found it was easiest to hold the device with a finger resting to the right of the screen and then just move to the left and tap to turn a page (mind you I was forever turning pages by accident or turning multiple pages until I got used to it)
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I don't use a PaperWhite very often, but when I do, I also notice the problem of jumping several pages at a time. I don't know what causes that or how to deal with it.

One thing that I've found very useful with touch devices is one of those capacitive pointer thingies - the things that look a bit like a pencil with a rubber tip. I recently started using one on my Nexus tablet, and it really does make things a lot easier.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm not sure if it'll help your mom or not, but you might tell her to try swiping instead of tapping. A swipe from right to left advances one page and a swipe from left to right goes back a page. That's how I usually turn pages on my PW. (My previous readers were Sony 650/350s and that was the way they were set up to turn pages, so it's how I've been trained.) I've never had the problem of turning more pages at a time.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Thanks, I will definitely have her try swiping instead of tapping to see if that works easier for her. I have also picked up a capacitive stylus because that is a great idea and might work better for her. I don't know if she would prefer using the stylus over trying to find an ereader with actually buttons for page turning but it is something to try for sure. I have a non-touch kindle from the generation right before the PW1 so if worst comes to worst I can give that to her. I would still prefer to help her get used to the touch screen flavor because she really does love the light on the screen. I am going to visit tomorrow so hopefully I can get to the bottom of the issue for her.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I would still prefer to help her get used to the touch screen flavor
That's probably the best option, if only because it seems to be the direction that readers are going in - and many other devices too.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Swiping can work better for some. It doesn't need to be a very long swipe, so make sure she knows that.

But as for tapping, the best way I can describe it is that you want a sharp, crisp tap. Too hard just ends up hurting your finger over time; let it rest on the screen too long, and you'll either highlight a word or jump ahead multiple pages. A quick, relatively light tap is the most efficient way to navigate on these screens.

I'd be interested to hear if she likes the stylus. I've actually found them to require more pressure than a finger, for some reason. The screen just doesn't see very responsive to them.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
tapar
Connoisseur

I watched her using the kindle and we were able to resolve some of her issues. It turns out her thumb is far less conductive than her finger. If she uses her thumb the touch screen detects the press about 50% of the time. She also found it difficult to navigate the list of books on the kindle. She had a tendency to press on the screen, pause, then swipe. That caused her to open the book she pressed on rather than scroll the list of books. She also naturally favored trying to swipe downwards to scroll the list up.

Page turns worked much better for her after she understood that pressure wasn't required and that a quick tap was better then a slow press. Her thumb's lack of capacitance made the page turning process feel kind of random. The frustration also made it difficult to get the page turning timing down, which lead to double page turns and needing to go back a page. The swipe mechanics were not clear to her and she often started her "swipe" with a "back page" touch.

She was not very open to using a pen stylus, it worked for her but it was a bit unwieldy and seemed a bit unreasonable a requirement. She is going to look at the thumb ring type of capacitance stylus. The ring seemed more reasonable and she might be willing to use that on a daily basis. I think she would choose to get a different ereader if she had to use a stylus. She likes to read one handed and I am pretty sure that left her less enthused about the idea of using a stylus.

It looks like she is going to stick with it and work on getting more comfortable with the PW2. She loves the lit up screen and I think that is helping to motivate her to keep at it. I think we both wish amazon would release a version that was touch screen AND had physical page turn buttons. I think she will have a good chance of getting used to the touch screen now that we have identified what she was doing wrong.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
When I transitioned from a physical button based e-reader to a touch screen one I breathed a sigh of immense relief. I think that touch screen based e-readers are just so much easier to use and they help relieve any Repetitive Strain problems I am prone to experiencing. With a light touch of one of my fingers I can turn the page, highlight text, make notes, etc.. Pure bliss.

I say the transition will happen with training and time as you are finding out. When something different comes along, sometimes the best thing we can do is learn to use it.

Just keep at it, who knows, with time it may seem like the more natural option.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
When I transitioned from a physical button based e-reader to a touch screen one I breathed a sigh of immense relief. I think that touch screen based e-readers are just so much easier to use and they help relieve any Repetitive Strain problems I am prone to experiencing. With a light touch of one of my fingers I can turn the page, highlight text, make notes, etc.. Pure bliss.

I say the transition will happen with training and time as you are finding out. When something different comes along, sometimes the best thing we can do is learn to use it.

Just keep at it, who knows, with time it may seem like the more natural option.
You give me hope.

Having switched from KK to PW2 three weeks (and probably about 1500 pages) ago I hope to reach this state of bliss at some point. Right now, I still miss the page turn buttons for their reliability. - They worked every time, while the touch screen needs two tries about once every ten pages. I read while holding the kindle, alternating hands.

Where I have lost any hope of ever not missing the take turn buttons is when reading documents with hyperlinks. The touch screen exchanges the simple motion of blindly pressing a button with a entertaining game of find-the-correct place to tap/swipe. ;-)
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapar View Post
I am wondering if anyone is having difficulty adjusting to the PW2 touch screen, particularly for paging forwards and backwards? The reason I ask is my mom just got her new Kindle Paperwhite gen2 and is having some trouble making the jump from her older kindle with physical buttons for turning the page to the touch screen.

I remember going through a similar thing with my PW1, but I adjusted fairly well. I still prefer the physical buttons, but I was sold on the screen light and it was enough of an improvement for me to deal with the touch screen. My mother is a bit frustrated by it, she feels like she's fighting with the kindle to get the pages to turn. She is also noticing it jump a number of pages forwards or back and doesn't seem to be able to control things very well. I have never run into anything like that personally so I am not sure exactly what she might be doing to have that effect.

I am going to visit in a couple of days so hopefully I can watch how she is using it and surmise what is causing the trouble. I would like to go in with as many arrows in my quiver as possible so if anyone has any suggestions or tips I would love to hear them.
I haven't tested with enough people, to have some actual statistics.
But from what I've experienced it seems, children and old people tend to have problems with touch screens on readers. I don't see a difference between my Kobo Aura HD or Kindle Paperwhite Gen2.So I don't think it's unit-specific.
I think, it's way more simple:
Many old people have slower reactions and tend to press too long respectively not lift the finger fast enough. Children often are too hectic and re-press often.
Worst case scenario: My father in law does have arthritis. Holding the device is difficult. Using the touchscreen is sheer impossible...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I have Paperwhite for many months now, and each day I get better skilled in touch screen. Convenient adaptation came with three months or more.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote