Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Add format / sorting by title

Currently there are 322 books in my library of which ONLY 248 are sorted by title alphabetically. The other 74 books are sorted at the end by title. Noticed this today and believe the reason is because under the SIZE column, there is not an entry to the first 248 books whereas the remaining 74 there is an entry for the size of the book. Also, under "edit metadata" there is no format listed for the 248 and I am having difficulty trying to insert a format for these books. Believe if this is possible, ALL books will become sorted by title. Can someone help me w/this?
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You do not have to have anything in the Size column. The sorting actually takes place on the title_sort field (which is not displayed by default) so it is possible that you have something strange in that field?

Perhaps more to the point is why you have book entries with no attached formats. Although this is technically possible it should only happen if you actually ask Calibre to create entries with no formats. You also say you are having trouble adding formats to these entries - what is actually happening when you try?

One thing that occurs to me - you have not by any chance used GoogleDrive to store your library - if so that might explain some of your symptoms as GoogleDrive can corrupt a Calibre library by silently removing the Calibre Id information from the end of the folder/file names.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You do not have to have anything in the Size column. The sorting actually takes place on the title_sort field (which is not displayed by default) so it is possible that you have something strange in that field?

Perhaps more to the point is why you have book entries with no attached formats. Although this is technically possible it should only happen if you actually ask Calibre to create entries with no formats. You also say you are having trouble adding formats to these entries - what is actually happening when you try?

One thing that occurs to me - you have not by any chance used GoogleDrive to store your library - if so that might explain some of your symptoms as GoogleDrive can corrupt a Calibre library by silently removing the Calibre Id information from the end of the folder/file names.
Thanks for the f a s t response! When I try to add a format, EPUB, it opens a window to my hd for me to choose a file. Have no idea where to go from there. Perhaps the reason for no format is because I added some hard cover books via the isbn?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Thanks for the f a s t response! When I try to add a format, EPUB, it opens a window to my hd for me to choose a file. Have no idea where to go from there. Perhaps the reason for no format is because I added some hard cover books via the isbn?
Add from ISBN is a great way to log your HARD books. There will be no formats if that is all you have.

What is probably wrong, is Title Sort is wrong (shows red in the metadata edit window)
The Quality Check Plugin can detect these types of errors (also happens with Author_sort) to allow you to fix them quickly.

Then you select All books indicated as having a bad sort
Tap 'E' for bulk metadata edit
Tick the box 'Update Title Sort" (Auto set Author sort for Authors problems)
Click OK
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Sounds as if it is waiting for you to point it at the epub file to be added.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
PatGIV
Connoisseur

@theducks: Thanks for the tip, dl'd and installed Quality Check plugin, however in following your instructs cannot locate a "Update Title Sort" anywhere on the edit screen. Just where is it located?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@theducks: Thanks for the tip, dl'd and installed Quality Check plugin, however in following your instructs cannot locate a "Update Title Sort" anywhere on the edit screen. Just where is it located?
The Q Check FINDS problems (it shows them)
Then you use regular Calibre (Bulk mode edit) to fix those
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote