Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kovid - what I wrote was

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I just looked at my preferences->behaviour. EPUB was at the top of the Preferred Input Formats, again - I'm sure I've pushed it down before, more than once in fact. Its now last! But I wouldn't bet that it wasn't me who did something to push it up to first
You'll also see the phrase 'inadvertently created' in at least one of my posts

The ORIGINAL_xxxx's always result from user action, but for some of us its an 'inadvertent' action ie a mistake. Such as starting a conversion and hitting E (for EPUB) instead of R (for RTF) or D ( for DOCX) as the input format, easily done as they're adjacent keys.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Worked out why I had EPUB first in Preferences->Behavior->Preferred input format order. It was so that when I pressed V (or double clicked) on a book then if an EPUB exists then it would be opened in the calibre reader.

Intuitively I want to put the most common formats I use as input to conversions at the top of the Preferred input format order list. So I've done that AND I've reassigned 'V' (as well as Alt/V) to View Specific Format

I think that will work better for me.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #33
Carlos_ER
Carlos E. R.
Carlos_ER began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
No that's fine

The main thing is don't change file or folder names, or delete files. But you don't have to go to the file system to edit a file either, IMO best practice is to start Writer from with Calibre.

Thanks. Yes, that's what I was doing lately.

Thanks everybody, I think I understand better what I have to do and why I was not getting the results I expected.

I see that it was not working for me because I was not using it properly. I did read a lot of documents but what you people have explained to me in this thread I had not noticed myself. Of course, I did not read the entire wiki O:-)

Thanks a lot!
Carlos_ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
Carlos_ER
Carlos E. R.

Hi,

Something weird happened.

I transferred the corrected epubs books to my kobo touch device (Card A), using calibre, where they replaced the existing previous versions. The "pointer" to the place I was reading remained untouched, good, but the table of contents of all 4 books remained limited to 50 entries, using the kobo.

Today I connected the device to calibre, again. I used the view function to view from calibre the epub on the kobo, and it displayed the correct table of contents. Nevertheless, I told calibre to send the books again, removed the device, opened the ebook inside kobo, and the table of contents was still wrong.

So, using the kobo own library functions, I deleted the 4 books, connected the thing again to the computer, told calibre to send the 4 books again, removed, the kobo said it was updating the library, displayed the epub, and now, finally, the table of contents displays correct in the kobo touch device as well.

Except that the pointer to the page I was reading at is lost, and had to mark to books as read, but that is not important.

Did I do something wrong, again, or is it a bug? I know there was a recent firmware update to the kobo, and a recent version of calibre adapted to it. I have the latest at the moment, 0.9.31.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Carlos_ER: That's a "feature" of the Kobo devices.

When the Kobo device first sees a book, it processes it and adds it to the internal database. The information stored includes the title and author and some other metadata, the file size and the TOC. This database is used for the library lists. And the stored TOC is used for navigation when reading.

Unfortunately when you replace a book, it isn't reprocessed. In fact, if the files size changes, the device deletes the book and removes it from the database. The KoboTouch driver in calibre modifies the stored file size so that this doesn't happen. But, there is no way to get the book reprocessed to update the metadata and the TOC. To do that, you need to delete the book from the device, and then send it as a new book. This will mean the loss of the current reading position and any annotations or bookmarks.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #36
Carlos_ER
Carlos E. R.

I see... so it is in fact a feature aka bug of the kobo touch ereader, and the workaround is what I did, delete the book and add it again. And the deletion has to be done from the kobo. Or delete with calibre, remove device, wait, connect device, add book again.

Maybe Calbre should warn about this when replacing an existing book? :-?