Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
My experience has been the opposite lately; I've been ordering more physical books online rather than buying the ebook versions because the physical books are the same price or cheaper. Apparently having a book printed, bound and then hand delivered to me from 200 miles away is still less costly than delivering me a digital copy.

Maybe I should read more bestsellers, or restrict myself to those rare Kobo books that actually allow a discount code to be used.
Same here. I've been buying nothing but hard copies lately. For the same price or even a tad more I'd rather have a physical item.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I just looked up a book, thinking my husband would be interested in it - the new Bart Eherman book on biblical forgeries. They wanted $22 for the *ebook* - nuh-huh, not going to happen.
You could buy the hardback for $39!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #18
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I've almost never paid $14.99 for a ebook. Not fiction anyways. I try to get them for $8 or $9 plus the 40% off coupon from Kobo.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I just looked up a book, thinking my husband would be interested in it - the new Bart Eherman book on biblical forgeries. They wanted $22 for the *ebook* - nuh-huh, not going to happen.
Is that like an academic treatise? They are often more expensive since their sales are limited to those with specific interest in the subject.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #20
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
If it's an academic or scientific book, it will allways be quite expensive since there are only a few copies of the printed book. You can easilily go to a library and get your copy there if you're interested in such books. That's the reason why libraries exist..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
My experience has been the opposite lately; I've been ordering more physical books online rather than buying the ebook versions because the physical books are the same price or cheaper. Apparently having a book printed, bound and then hand delivered to me from 200 miles away is still less costly than delivering me a digital copy.

Maybe I should read more bestsellers, or restrict myself to those rare Kobo books that actually allow a discount code to be used.
I don't read the "bestsellers" so their pricing doesn't affect me. But I have found that even though I much prefer to read on my Nook tablet than a print copy, when it comes to nonfiction, I cannot justify paying the price asked for an ebook that I do not own. Consequently, I continue to buy nonfiction in hardcover. And price is not a determining factor when it comes to hardcover purchases (e.g., I recently bought a hardcover for $55 and another for $45). Ownership and ability to lend and resell are important considerations.

However, I also "buy" a lot of ebooks. But my top price is $4.99 and I rarely spend more than $2.99 for an ebook. Of the ebooks I "buy", 90%+ cost zero dollars. Then if I read an ebook by an author and find that I really enjoy the ebook and the ebook's quality, I will then buy subsequent ebooks by the author or in the series at prices up to $4.99.

I see no reason to pay more than that for an ebook.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #22
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I really have no set limit for nonfiction. It depends on the book. For a lot of nonfiction the paper version works best so I buy that.

For a backlist non-omnibus novel my limit for an ebook is $6.99. Especially if I'm just replacing the paper version since I already bought it once. I might go higher than $10 for a new release if I desperately wanted to read it RIGHT NOW and I hadn't anything else I wanted to read. It hasn't happened yet, but I suppose it might be remotely possible. Right now I'm trying to work through my several hundred already paid for books that I haven't had time to read and only really good prices tempt me to buy now instead of putting them on a wish list to buy later.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Is that like an academic treatise? They are often more expensive since their sales are limited to those with specific interest in the subject.
It looks like it. A lot of his books are more "popularizations," but this is apparently more academic.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
On the other hand... As ereaders become cheaper and more alluring to the most casual reader, someone who only reads new releases or a few books a year, price isn't much of an issue.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
I'll believe it when the eBook of Dune (NOOK version) drops to a reasonable price.
Why didn't you buy it in the recent SF Gateway sale? £2.99 - about $5.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why didn't you buy it in the recent SF Gateway sale? £2.99 - about $5.
Pretty sure it's a different publisher in the US Harry.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's because it's only currently out in hardback. The price will fall when the paperback is released. As a rule, though, non-fiction does tend to be more expensive than fiction. It's a much smaller market.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Pretty sure it's a different publisher in the US Harry.
It's easy enough to buy UK books from the US if you want to do so.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #29
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I will not pay more than $3.99 for a fiction ebook. That's just my ceiling and I am not going over it. I will pay more for a non-fiction book, however. Since I am reading a lot of non-fiction books about The Civil War and various books on Native Americans this year, I have paid up to $14.99 for some of the Shelby Foote books regarding The Civil War.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I will not pay more than $3.99 for a fiction ebook. That's just my ceiling and I am not going over it.
It's your personal choice, of course, but that does seem to be placing a very low value on the work involved in writing a book. That's about a third the price of a typical paperback in the UK.