Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #91
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I feel my Arc is not "reading me like a book." No matter how many times I tell it I'm not interested, those darn recommendations keep trying to worm their way into my wallet. Do these suggested titles think I'm playing hard to get - that I'll cave into their advances if given enough time? No, really, stop trying to peddle the romance and Grisham novels. Why won't you listen to me Kobo?! Whyyyyyy !

Edit - I should add I have discovered some really good websites/articles thanks to the discovery bar. It really is hit & miss.

Last edited by mr_nihilism; 12-22-2012 at 07:18 PM.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #92
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post

Edit - I should add I have discovered some really good websites/articles thanks to the discovery bar. It really is hit & miss.
Discovery bar sorta works after a couple of weeks. At least it shows relevant information and I actually click on some of them. Anyway, i think the real estate usage proportion is debatable but at least it shows something different like a live wallpaper, lol.
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #93
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
Quote:
Originally Posted by isayo74 View Post
Hi FaisalAbid,

I also want to bring USB OTG up again !

Is there any way to use the koboArc µUSB port to access a storage device (µSD adapter, memory stick, hard disk...) ?

Please give us an answer...
isayo74 have you tried rooting your device? Then using a terminal emulator to create a mount folder using mkdir and then use mount to mount the device file to that folder. It should work Android has all the basic linux commands. You would just need to use a format that the device understands like ext4, ext3, ...

Once my OTG cables come in I can try this for you but that won't be until the new year.

I have checked that the mount command is available on the device. Confirmation for the developer would be appreciated though.

Edit:

I just found this application in the market:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...WwudXNib3RnIl0.

Last edited by dioioib; 12-23-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: name correction
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #94
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I feel my Arc is not "reading me like a book." No matter how many times I tell it I'm not interested, those darn recommendations keep trying to worm their way into my wallet. Do these suggested titles think I'm playing hard to get - that I'll cave into their advances if given enough time? No, really, stop trying to peddle the romance and Grisham novels. Why won't you listen to me Kobo?! Whyyyyyy !

Discovery is a top priority for myself and my team. We are doing everything we can to fix the bugs and make sure the experience meets demands.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #95
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Good to hear Robin. Another little issue, when you click on something in Discovery then close it, you are taken all the way back to the first icon so you have to scroll back to where you left off. I've now turned the app off so I'll be watching this space for the improvements.
Best of the season and thanks for being on this site.
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #96
barbs
barbs began at the beginning.

My kobo arc keeps going to sleep while I'm using it. The screen will go black and I have to push the power button to wake it back up. I am using the arc while this happen. I have checked all settings, increased sleep time when not in use ( which shouldn't be an issue since it is being used), checked for updates and rebooted several times. Please help
barbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #97
pilotguy
pilotguy began at the beginning.

Yes, discovery is now disabled on my Arc. I bought one book about WW2 on the first day I had it, and all that shows up is stuff about WW2, even if I try and say "not interested" it keeps popping back up. Anything else I pin about different subjects (I tried lots of different stuff, I even re-did my taste profile) seems to have no effect on what's in the bar. It's all WW2, all the time, so... disabled.

One exception is if I open my "games" tapestry that I created, some other stuff repopulates the bar in there, but my reading and home ones are stuck in the 40s. (A side note: You REALLY think I'd like Ke$ha's new album? I'm reading a book about The Smiths for crying out loud! "A Light That Never Goes Out" by Tony Fletcher if you are interested. Wordy, but a complete history of the band, good read!)

I'd rather see a blank strip than a bunch of photos of Winston Churchill and covers of books I'm not interested in.

Anyway, I get the idea of it, explore new things yadda yadda. I'm just not overly crazy about it to be honest, and it DOES take up a lot of screen real estate that I'd rather use for something else (like shortcuts to my current open books or something).

Last edited by pilotguy; 12-27-2012 at 12:17 AM.
pilotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #98
chattylibrarian
chattylibrarian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaisalAbid View Post
We are using the stock keyboard that comes with Android Ice Cream Sandwich. I do find it weird that Google has left this option out in the keyboard.

Downloading a few other stock keyboards from Google Play seems like Google disables this option for tablets.

Im not sure if there is much I can do, but you can look on Google Play for lots of alternative keyboards.
I'd also like popup on keypress. Coming from iOS, it's something I've really come to depend on. Typing on my Arc's keyboard makes me feel horribly fat fingered. Typos galore.
chattylibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #99
Skynet_Italy
Skynet_Italy began at the beginning.

Why does the app kodo arc you can not change the margins, as happens on kobo desktop is kobo glo ?

Personally i think it is a very useful function.
Thanks
Skynet_Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #100
mr_nihilism
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet_Italy View Post
Why does the app kodo arc you can not change the margins, as happens on kobo desktop is kobo glo ?

Thanks

I'll second that. The more customization in how we view our books on the Arc the better. Options = good. Limitations = bad.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #101
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet_Italy View Post

Thanks
No one except Kobo knows that. As reading software, the Kobo app is about the worst there is. No margin or line spacing control (not that that worked much of the time on sideloaded epubs), only one font (compared to the half-dozen+ on their physical readers, to which you can add your own), no ability to customize gestures (taps/swipes; not even the rather meagre zone definitions that the physical readers use, much less full gesture customization like most other reader programs allow), and so on.

Fortunately, you can install real reading programs.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #102
mr_nihilism

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
No one except Kobo knows that. As reading software, the Kobo app is about the worst there is. No margin or line spacing control (not that that worked much of the time on sideloaded epubs), only one font (compared to the half-dozen+ on their physical readers, to which you can add your own), no ability to customize gestures (taps/swipes; not even the rather meagre zone definitions that the physical readers use, much less full gesture customization like most other reader programs allow), and so on.

Fortunately, you can install real reading programs.

Between the limitations of the Kobo app and the Discovery bar issues, I get the feeling the Arc was rushed just a little in time for Christmas. I really enjoy the device, but it really needs a good solid update.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #103
UberMike
UberMike began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 16GB
This may or may not be the right place but it's midnight, I searched the Kobo FAQ and a couple forums and sites, couldn't come up with anything. Have a few questions about it:

1) I used the browser to grab a .CBR file I got prior to getting the Arc. I then grabbed Perfect Viewer from Google Play but I have 2 problems:

- I can't find the file path where the .CBR was saved, so I can't figure out how to open and test PV to see how it looks with this comic. Where does the Arc store files downloaded using the Browser app? It's in Downloads but trying to click it there launches the Browser again, it doesn't seem to have a file association with Perfect Viewer yet.

- I managed to open an .EPUB in Perfect Viewer and can't figure out how to close it now or open any other files in this app. It's an Android app so not sure if you can offer much advice on it, or suggest a different comic viewer perhaps and I can dump this one?

2) Is there any way to view the browser history?

3) When I go to Settings - Data Usage to see where most of the used data came from, the View app settings button is disabled. When my son took it for the night there was over 6GB of YouTube data used but I can't seem to get any additional information. Is there any more info available? Browser is the only app so far that has the button enabled that I could find.

I think that was all for now, suppose I should sleep and refresh my brain.
UberMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #104
mr_nihilism

"Is there any way to view the browser history?"

The only way I know how is to open up the Browser itself and then click on that little ribbon icon with the star in it. From there you'll see tabs for Bookmarks, History and Saved Pages.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #105
isayo74
isayo74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo and Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioioib View Post
isayo74 have you tried rooting your device? Then using a terminal emulator to create a mount folder using mkdir and then use mount to mount the device file to that folder. It should work Android has all the basic linux commands. You would just need to use a format that the device understands like ext4, ext3, ...

Once my OTG cables come in I can try this for you but that won't be until the new year.

I have checked that the mount command is available on the device. Confirmation for the developer would be appreciated though.

Edit:

I just found this application in the market:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...WwudXNib3RnIl0.
Many Thanks for your answer but I don't know how to do that (rooting the device) so I'm going to wait for someone to try and explain it.
I'm curently exploring every website dealing with the Arc in english and french for one month and no one can tell if the device is ready for USB OTG so I think it's unfortunately not !
isayo74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc