Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #316
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
The problem is estimating the length of a book in the library that is unopened. The actual length depends on the formatting and layout settings that wouldn't have been applied yet. Overnight for opened books that have formatting applied, the overall length is a rough approximation.

Regarding the white dots/blue dots idea, that's not too difficult to do, and coming to think of it, very cool. I can fit it into the January update.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #317
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Rough (even very rough) estimates are perfectly fine for the Library view! No one would be counting the precise number of dots, anyway, and if that number of dots changes between before and after first opening a book, so what? A rough, preliminary estimate (you could even say, guess) is still better than no length indication, in my opinion.

If Marvin can't see data such as the number of words in the book before actually opening the book for the first time, you could instruct Marvin to simply use the number of kilobytes in a file to decide on the preliminary number of dots. Naturally, that's imprecise because it doesn't take into account the book's formatting, presence of any images, etc., but it definitely seems better than having no educated guess at all. The numeric progress indicator would be at the precise 0%, of course, the book as yet being unopened. But you might decide, say, that an EPUB file of 500 kilobytes would by default get the full row of 25 dots, while a file of 150 kilobytes size would only get 8 dots, etc. Once a book gets opened for the first time, the number of dots would be adjusted depending on (for example) the number of actual words in the book.

Last edited by Faterson; 12-24-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #318
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Honestly, Alexander, I completely disagree.

"Guestimating" the size of the book before opening it and displaying pretty much useless and completely inaccurate data seems worse to me (and detrimental to the user experience) than having no size indication at all.

Displaying the size in Kb or something won't help either since, as you said yourself, images, etc. will make that vary greatly between books.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #319
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A small something for after the holidays...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iOS_Simulator_Screen_shot_24_Dec_2012_13.58.47.png
Views:	284
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	98139   Click image for larger version

Name:	iOS_Simulator_Screen_shot_24_Dec_2012_13.58.50-2.png
Views:	289
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	98140  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #320
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

That looks nice, Kris, thanks! :-)
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #321
kguil
Addict

And at Adrian's request...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iOS_Simulator_Screen_shot_24_Dec_2012_14.04.03.png
Views:	420
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	98141  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #322
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Well, OK, Wulf. Could we then, perhaps, agree on the following behaviour as the most rational and most useful?
  • If a book has not been opened yet in Marvin, display no dots at all, and no numeric progess indicator yet (does not make sense for unopened books), and display only the New tag.
  • Once a book gets opened for the first time, display the number of dots relative to the approximate overall length of the book (the more dots, the longer the book), with 2 contrasting dot colours (or shapes) indicating the reader's progress inside the book, in addition to the numeric progress indicator.
(To me, there would be little difference between the 2 scenarios, because I typically don't leave books unopened in Marvin for a very long time, if any time at all. I mean, why would I load books into Marvin in the first place, if I never bothered to open them? The cloud = Calibre folders, rather than Marvin, is my long-term books repository.)

Last edited by Faterson; 12-24-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #323
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

PS: Nice screenshots, Kris, except that they suggest that Crime and Punishment and Heart of Darkness are as if of equal length, although (as we know) the first is a mamooth novel, and the second a slim volume. If you only displayed the dots after a book actually gets opened for the first time, you might adjust the number of dots to correspond to the approximate length of a book, as proposed above.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #324
kguil
Addict

Still looking into that. I still haven't figured out a reliable way to determine the relative sizes of books.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #325
Philantrop
Addict

Well, Alexander, personally, I agree with either of those two approaches but it's Kris' "baby" and he probably saw both our arguments and will decide what he likes best.

(As for the leaving books unopened for long - same here. The other night, I read a book till 2:30 am because I just "had" to finish it And, as you know, I'm a staunch supporter of using the cloud to store ebooks instead keeping tons of ebooks in the ebook reader.)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #326
kguil
Addict

I think it is very interesting to know how big a book is relative to another so this is something that I will actively investigate. It's just that I haven't found a way yet. Maybe I'll have "a moment of clarity" after this evening's party
Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #327
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Hmmm... but there must be a way, right? Otherwise, there would be no way to get at the value of the numeric progress indicator. If it says (for example) 5%, then there must be a value corresponding to 100%... and you could use whatever corresponds to 100% to decide about the number of dots to show for a book. As mentioned, a very rough estimate would do for the Library view, and I don't see why the number of dots displayed could not be (slightly) re-adjusted between readings (book openings), if necessary.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #328
kguil
Addict

Yes, that's my line of reasoning. Will keep you updated.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #329
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Kris

Thank you

I like the screen shot for the author search function

can this also be available (now or later) for author_sort

I always find it frustrating when authors are sorted by first names

regards

adrian
Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #330
kguil
Addict

Adrian, the "jump to letter" function is already available for the Author, Author Sort, Title, Title Sort and Calibre Series fields.
Closed Thread