Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
K-T Newbie - avoid this pitfall

My wife bought me a KOBO-Touch(K-T) a week ago. I was very impressed with the new FW 2.0 update. We already had an account with KoboBooks as I had purchased her a K-T Christmas of 2010. The new FW was a big improvement to the original FW that we experienced back in 2010.

BUT, I then proceeded to load up my Library of e-books that I have for my various reading devices. My Library (over 2500 e-books/Docs) consists of a Folder Tree that may have as many as 4 levels of folders.( eg: /SD-Main Library/Authors/author name/their e-books as well as other folders under the /SD-Main Library such as /Manuals/sub folders/sub folder etc.).

This system made it easy for me to maintain/organize my "Library" on my PC and replicate it over multple devices.

When I applied this format to an 8 Gig Micro SDHC card and inserted it into the K-T I started running into problems. The response time became very sluggish during certain actions such as taking 2 minutes to go to the Home menu after pressing "Home" from within a book. When in Library mode I could open an e-book and return to the "Library" in a reasonable amount of time but if I pressed "Home" instead it would take approx. 2 minutes to return to the Home menu.

If I removed my external sdhc card the response was better but returned on re-inserting the sdhc card. Response just got worst over time.

I am not new to e-readers and the various apps for PC/Android.
All my devices have vendor supplied updates (no hacks).

So I reset the device back to factory - re-applied the new FW update on initialization - sync'ed to our web account but stilled had the same problem after inserting the card.

So I swapped my e-books over from the 8 gig (Class 4) card to a 16g Class 10 card I had for my camera. I figured that using a high speed Micro-SDHC card should give me the best response. The sluggishness did not go away.

Then I remember about an issue with one of my e-readers that involved too many nested folders. I adjusted my Library of e-books to one folder for each grouping or category and placed these in the root of a 8 gig Class 4 Micro SDHC and my problem was resolved.

Now I have my 2500+ e-books/docs on my reader and my response time is fantastic ( within 2-4 seconds depending on the action - page turns are instant). I know that it would probably be better with the Class 10 card but that has gone back into my Digi-camera.

Moral of the story - avoid too many nested folders or as others would say - KISS "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Looking forward to further FW update improvments.

Hope this helps other avoid this pitfall.

John

Update: Aug 2, 11:00 est.

Well, I may have spoken too soon. My K-T is back to approx 1 min to complete the "Home" action from whatever screen I am in.

It responds well to opening a book. Movement through the various menu's is actioned in a reasonable response time (1-3 seconds).

Page turning appears to have become sluggish (sometimes not detecting several touches in a row) but not unbearable.

I will run without my card for a day and see if having the extra inventory of books out of the picture improves the performance issues mentioned above.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 08-02-2012 at 11:24 AM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I'm thinking that it might just be how many books you have. I have about half of what you do on a wifi model, and I think it just takes a while to load the correct database.
Ladyrixx is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Firmware 2.1.5 for the K-T has resolved the issue. I now experience 3-5 seconds delay when exiting an open book and returning to the HOME page.
Kobo must of had an database management issue when dealing with large volumes of books.

I assume the issue was the same with the K-G but not as obvious. Now that both are at the same fw level the db mapping in both is more efficeint.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote