Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #31
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
On a brighter note, from the Wired Threat Level article::

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ns-rejected/2/

Quote:
The authorities also reauthorized circumvention of e-books, a benefit for the seeing impaired so they may enable read-aloud functions.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #32
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I didn't think it was technically legal to jailbreak or hack a device in the first place?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I didn't think it was technically legal to jailbreak or hack a device in the first place?
My understanding was not that it was illegal but that it would void a product's warranty. Which is fair enough and makes sense from the manufacturer's point of view. If you brick your device doing something that is not "normal" they shouldn't have to be responsible. Of course from a "legality" point of view, that will vary from one country to another.
After the warranty period is over however and the vendor is no longer responsible, it would be the owner's call...and their consequences if something goes wrong.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #34
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Well, but can you be so sure about that cow? Perhaps she has some special Monsanto genes and you are only allowed to use it for milking but not for breeding...

An UNBred cow doesnt produce milk ....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #35
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
An UNBred cow doesnt produce milk ....
Take some Karma!

Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #36
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAmandaK View Post
I really don't know how they think they will stop people though ...

I have never 'jailbroken' anything but I know people who have and quite frankly I think this will fall into the same lines as the media piracy - you shouldn't do it, and quite possibly someone will 'get in trouble', but the vast majority will continue to do so without consequence.
I was thinking the same thing.

Unless there's a big BIG crackdown (like Apple sending the iPolice at jailbreakers across the country/around the world), then it's just going to be another bit of the ToS that gets largely ignored. Heck, I would be willing to bet that some people would jailbreak just out of spite to say they're "sticking it to the man", not just to get the added benefits of jailbreaking.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #37
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Take some Karma!

I just couldnt help myself
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Same sh!t, different day.
Wait a minute! ... IS this a different day?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #39
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
it's not illegal. at least in the USA and UK. as I write this from my jailbroke phone that I regularly use in both countries.

An Apple store even told me where to get it done,
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Same sh!t, different day.
Wait a minute! ... IS this a different day?
No....according to Janis Joplin, it's all the same fracking day...
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
...Heck, I would be willing to bet that some people would jailbreak just out of spite...
Ditto!
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #42
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
(Sorry to interrupt)

Correct me if I'm wrong, teh603, but it sounds as if you're referring to the corporate libertarian version of capitalism
So many flavors. Its a shame the buckets aren't clearly labeled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Unless there's a big BIG crackdown (like Apple sending the iPolice at jailbreakers across the country/around the world), then it's just going to be another bit of the ToS that gets largely ignored. Heck, I would be willing to bet that some people would jailbreak just out of spite to say they're "sticking it to the man", not just to get the added benefits of jailbreaking.
All depends on how much remote control is built into iOS. For all we know, they could be planning just such a thing using the built-in GPS.

Wow, why didn't I think of that one sooner? It'd have made a great NaNo project if I didn't already have one.

Last edited by teh603; 10-26-2012 at 04:12 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #43
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I don't like this decision, but not really surprising. Working in IT several of the systems I work with are used under a similar licensed usage agreement.

The solution is simple. If you want to jailbreak a device don't buy a restricted device. There are plenty of good Android devices out there that will always be legal to do whatever you want with. Some OEMs will even supply you instructions on how to do it.

Whatever you do, don't buy restricted devices and then complain about not being able to legally root them. In addition to looking like a fool, you are not helping your cause at all by doing so. Amazon and Apple do not have monopolies. Exercise your free will or they will never change. On the contrary, they will continue to lock things down even tighter wherever they see a chance to profit from it.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #44
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
This is a big deal in principle, but also a big deal in immediate practical terms. It may mean mobileread can no longer host or link to things like the kindle dev corner.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #45
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
So much for the joys of being connected and instant downloads...
That's right. So people forego the convenience of the internet for the security, privacy, and liberty of encrypted blackmarket networks. Or simply share files with physically colocated partners. That's why the laws and all the cost of enforcement are a waste of taxpayer money.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote