Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Multi-file html conversion tutorial?

I'm sure I've seen this somewhere but I can't find it now. I thought I had seen a tutorial on how to put together several html pages with a toc page in preparation for converting to epub/mobi format. Can anyone tell me where to find this?

Thanks
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
I'm sure I've seen this somewhere but I can't find it now. I thought I had seen a tutorial on how to put together several html pages with a toc page in preparation for converting to epub/mobi format. Can anyone tell me where to find this?

Thanks
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....specific-order
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for but it reminds me why I was always still confused so never tried it. Once I create the TOC html file do I import just that file into Calibre as it implies or should I drop the entire collection plus the TOC file into a zip file and then import the zip file into Calibre?

If I'm understanding the coding in the tutorial right I'm just telling the TOC file the names of the files I want to combine not the actual location.

Name <a href="file1.html">First File</a><br/>
versus
Location <a href="C:/My Documents/file2.html">Second File</a><br/>

So to me it seems if I import just the TOC and try to convert it I would end up with an epub of just the TOC file. Or am I missing something obvious?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You use Sigil to do it. You have Sigil generate a toc.ncx and NOT an HTML based ToC. Then you have Calibre convert the ePub and it converts toc.ncx into a ToC for the Mobipocket file. ePub with an internal tOc looks and feels like you don't care about the ePub and only made it as a step to going to Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
If I'm understanding the coding in the tutorial right I'm just telling the TOC file the names of the files I want to combine not the actual location.

Name <a href="file1.html">First File</a><br/>
versus
Location <a href="C:/My Documents/file2.html">Second File</a><br/>

So to me it seems if I import just the TOC and try to convert it I would end up with an epub of just the TOC file. Or am I missing something obvious?
The links in the TOC HTML must point to where the image files are located (and they must be local). The first option only works when the images are in the same folder as the TOC HTML file, while the second does not make this assumption.

You then simply add the TOC HTML file to Calibre. Calibre will follow any links pulling the files they reference into the eBook file, if necessary patching the paths to make them local to the book. The result is stored as a ZIP file in Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You then simply add the TOC HTML file to Calibre. Calibre will follow any links pulling the files they reference into the eBook file, if necessary patching the paths to make them local to the book. The result is stored as a ZIP file in Calibre.
Just to make sure I understand. I gather together all the files to make my book in a directory that we'll call MyBook. I create the TOC file using
<a href="file1.html">First File</a><br/>
and save it in the MyBook directory. I go into Calibre and import the TOC file. Now because all of the files are in one directory, and assuming of course my coding is correct, Calibre will import *all* of the files and store them as a zip file that I can then convert. Correct?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just to make sure I understand. I gather together all the files to make my book in a directory that we'll call MyBook. I create the TOC file using
and save it in the MyBook directory. I go into Calibre and import the TOC file. Now because all of the files are in one directory, and assuming of course my coding is correct, Calibre will import *all* of the files and store them as a zip file that I can then convert. Correct?
Only if file1.html contains working references to all the other HTML files
(and THEY contain Working references to their image files)
Old 02-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Only if file1.html contains working references to all the other HTML files
(and THEY contain Working references to their image files)
Sorry. I thought it was basically implied that I meant:
<a href="file2.html">Second File</a><br/>
etcetera as it appears in the tutorial you'd pointed me to. Thanks for the info though.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You use Sigil to do it. You have Sigil generate a toc.ncx and NOT an HTML based ToC. Then you have Calibre convert the ePub and it converts toc.ncx into a ToC for the Mobipocket file. ePub with an internal tOc looks and feels like you don't care about the ePub and only made it as a step to going to Mobipocket.
Hi, JS, I hadn't seen your response before. Uhm, how would I use Sigil if I don't already have an epub file? I'm more concerned with epub creation though I do occasionally need to create mobi's for my friend who has a Kindle while I have a Nook.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hi, JS, I hadn't seen your response before. Uhm, how would I use Sigil if I don't already have an epub file? I'm more concerned with epub creation though I do occasionally need to create mobi's for my friend who has a Kindle while I have a Nook.
Sigil will accept HTML (plus JPG,PNG,CSS) files as input (It only outputs EPUB)
Note : adding a image (stylesheet) file makes it available to the book, you still need to place it (if the link is not there)