Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an eBook, written by me, about my 30 readers tablets?
Yes, as the eBooks I typically find are from reviewers, not from users. 5 18.52%
Yes, I'd be interested. But I'd prefer a blog or forum instead of an eBook. 8 29.63%
No, I don't need any information or comparison. 2 7.41%
No, I inform myself in forums and the usual websites. 11 40.74%
No. Who are you? I wouldn't buy an eBook from a "no-name". 0 0%
Yes, I'd even pay for it, maybe $ 1. 0 0%
Yes, I'd even pay for it, maybe $ 1 to $ 3. 1 3.70%
Yes, I'd even pay for it, maybe $ 3 to $ 5. 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Interested in an eBook about readers/tablets?

I get lots of private messages in this and other forums about using Kindle in Europe, using VPN for Netflix and such.
And often I find myself searching through tons of articles to find some tips about similar issues.
So I've asked myself: Would it be interesting, if I'd write an eBook about readers and tablets?
By owning 20 readers and 10 tablets, my personal experience probably is kind of unique.

I've made the mistake to buy some books like "1000 tips for Kindle" and similar and usually they tell nothing, typically it's more or less identical with the user manual...
So, just to check whether it would be worth the effort: Would you buy a self published eBook, written by me, describing and comparing a.) 20 readers and 10 tablets and b.) giving special tips about each unit?
Of course, a forum like this might be the wrong place to ask such questions. Many of you are way too well informed, to benefit that much from my experience (lots of you even are way deeper informed than me).
Still...it might be fun to write it and maybe even someone would buy it...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-29-2011 at 08:26 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've made the mistake to buy some books like "1000 tips for Kindle" and similar and usually they tell nothing, typically it's more or less identical with the user manual...
Well, I know that kind of mistakes, and that makes me keep some distance from this kind of books...
Maybe I should buy such an ebook if i could read a few 'trial' pages first, and only when it didn't cost me more than 1-2 Euro.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I voted blog or forum, as I have enjoyed your postings over time and I like having small tech sites.

I have enjoyed Jenn K Lee's Pocketables.com site for years.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I voted blog or forum, as I have enjoyed your postings over time and I like having small tech sites.

I have enjoyed Jenn K Lee's Pocketables.com site for years.
Actually, I kind of prefer user forums myself.
The only problem I find:
My thread "8+ readers" has grown over time. There may be lots of informations in it, but it's totally unorganized. If someone would look for "using Kindle outside US", he probably won't even find it in there. Or it's spread over 5 posts...
Of course, I could try to rewrite it, this time in a structured form.
Or I could have a single thread per unit.
But in a book, it way easier could be cross-referenced and interlinked.
I could have 1 chapter per reader.
Then I could have 1 chapter about boot times and all those features.
It certainly would be fun to write such a book.
But it would be frustrating of course, if no one would download it.
And, when spending some hundred hours with writing the book, I'd prefer to sell it for a small fee instead of giving it for free. (Although I'd prefer thousands of free downloads over selling the book only 5 times...)
Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That sounds like a very worthwhile project indeed. Although I wouldn't be in the market for such a book myself, I'm sure that many people would find it extremely useful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
...Maybe I should buy such an ebook if i could read a few 'trial' pages first, and only when it didn't cost me more than 1-2 Euro...
What would be of interest for you?
Tips for your specific reader?
Comparisons with other readers?
Lots of technical details such as boot time or standby?
Lots of links to free eBooks, torrent sites and such?
Regular updates to the eBook, for example another chapter every week?
Lots of pictures, for example comparing font sizes?

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-29-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it s an interesting idea. i dont know if i personally would download it as I spend so much time now researching this same topic. the risk to you would be taking so much time to write it that information contained in it would be out of date by the time its available. regular updates /addendum would be a good idea
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think it is a swell idea.

Obviously you have done a lot of research, writing and experimentation already if you own 30 readers.

My advice would be to start with a few sample chapters and see if you can generate an interest forom how to publishers. Might possibly be more lucrative than self publishing. (For Dummies comes to mind)

Even if selfpublished, I would not mention torrents anywhere

Tips for your specific reader?
Yes

Comparisons with other readers?
Appendix

Lots of technical details such as boot time or standby?
Should be standardized form a end of each reader chapter/discussion

Lots of links to free eBooks, torrent sites and such?
No

Regular updates to the eBook, for example another chapter every week?
Not unless you sell it to a magazine in a serialized/installment form

Lots of pictures, for example comparing font sizes?
Urrggghhhh to a book or ebook with too many screenshots.

Pictures should be attractive and not all looking the same. Pictures enhance a book, but not if they are just like a user manual. (links to user manuals for each reader would be good.

Helen

speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote