Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

Point is most apps are tablet ready, there will be very few apps that are tablet only. So the "tablet specific" apps for Android will always be very low.

=X=
Apps on Android scale better and work different, that's true. But in order to take full advantage of the new operating system, Honeycomb, the application needs to be redesigned also. They are not a lot of new or redesigned applications right now for Honeycomb. Of course, this will change over next few months or a year, but for sure Apple will provide a better and nicer device for 2012. So Google will have to push developers now if they want to win the race or be at same level.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well technically there is...

I'm not sure if you aware, but Android OS handled apps differently than iOS. The iOS devices really only have two screen sizes, iPhones/iTouch and iPads. For the iPad to run iPhone apps it runs them in a compatibility mode where the screen size is fixed, they also have a 2x zoom factor. Therefore it's very important for iPad users to have iPad apps made so they can take advantage of the real estate.

For the Android OS apps are dynamically scalable. With the exception of a few apps most apps scale up to fill the screen size just fine. There are many apps that dynamically detect whether the device is a tablet or mobile device and initialize the app accordingly. For instance I purchased Moon+ an ebook reader, that one purchase gives me an app that has logic to determine whether it is running on a tablet device or a phone and optimizes it's layout based accordingly. The Kindle, nook, and Opera is yet more examples.

Point is most apps are tablet ready, there will be very few apps that are tablet only. So the "tablet specific" apps for Android will always be very low.

=X=
The positive aspect is that in general, android apps scale up really well and look much better than iphone apps do on an ipad. However, there are still areas where apps are stretched in a strange way, or don't really take advantage of the screen (For example, I bought Jewellust Christmas from the android market and had to return it because it looked terrible scaled up). On my nook color, I actually had to use the Spare Parts app to get many apps to fill the screen.

Currently, I have a rule that I won't install any app that does not have a tablet friendly version on my ipad (Skype is the only exception because the video/voice still works really well).

The negative aspect is that most android apps are not optimized for tablets (screen real estate, higher specs, etc). There are hardly any tablet specific apps. Even with my self imposed rule for apps on my ipad, there are an overwhelming number of quality tablet specific apps (currently 80,000 ipad optimized). If you are using a 7" device, it isn't that big of a deal. On a 10.1" device, the issue is more prevalant.

One of the criticisms that I hear about ios so often is that it is just a really simple app launcher. My response would be that the apps are the critical part of the experience. I don't buy a pc to play around with, customize, and stare at my desktop. I want good, quality programs.

I'd rather a phone-like launcher that launches tablet optimized apps than a tablet optimized launcher that launches phone apps.

If we look at some of the apps that Samsung optimized for the Galaxy Tab, we can see the contrast between a phone app and a tablet app (Calender, email, contacts, memo). This is where android apps should move towards. If you play with the CNN app on the Xoom, you can see how an app optimized for tablets is superior. So, it is a valid criticism that the lack of tablet optimized apps in the android market is a significant disparity compared with the apple app store, despite the superior scaling ability of android apps.

Last edited by Noah98; 04-24-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
If you are using a 7" device, it isn't that big of a deal. On a 10.1" device, the issue is more prevalant.
True!!!

And the reason why I bought a GT and not the Xoom, at least no yet. Besides they are different devices and for different market, of course.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I chose the original iPad over the Xoom.

Went into Verizon and played with them both side-by-side.
The Xoom couldn't stackup in the 'ease of use' area.
I felt the capacitive screens were in no way equal.
I am not a fan of the 16x9 screen ratio.
The Android OS is buggy.
The first app I opened on the Xoom opened in a small window!!
The iPad seemed much better thought-out.
The 32gb Xoom was $599... the 32gb iPad was $399 (at that time)!! Who says Apple is way overpriced?

I left the store with the better device. (Consumer Reports' review put the Xoom and the original iPad 1 as 'equals'... I don't. The iPad 2 came out on top. They didn't factor in all the other variables such as app market, Apple apps, better sync, bookmarks, updates, etc, etc. )

So, in my opinion, even the original iPad is better than the Xoom.

Footnote: I have had the iPad a month now. It just keeps getting better all the time. My top ten favorite apps aren't even available for Android, or if they are, they just don't work as well on droid (any hardware is only as good as it's software). I have implemented the multi-gesture screen swipes which make the iPad even easier to use and multi-task. I'm surprised how easy it is to sync accurately (I can't believe how simple it was to get all my 100s of Firefox bookmarks from my two desktop computers... dating back 5 or 6 years... all organized into proper folders, into iPad Safari!!!)

Now here's the final blow... I am a Android user!! I've had 4 Android tablets and two Android phones. Very seldom will you find anyone who is accustomed to a certain computer OS state that the other system is actually better. Most people get accustomed to a certain way of doing things and then anything which is different also seems more difficult. My change to iOS is personal proof that (at least to me) it's a better, more well-thought out way of using a tablet.
My conclusion is that when it comes to phones, either Android or iOS are both good options... they're almost equals. But when it comes to using a tablet device, go with the iOS. At this point in time, it has no equal.

Last edited by pphilipp; 04-22-2011 at 08:49 AM.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
10. When I tested my favorite sites on the ipad 2, flash video didn't matter. They were either ipad friendly, or Skyfire rendered the video just fine. It would be nice to play flash games however, and I'm sure I'll come across a situation where flash will be necessary.
At this point in time, even Flash on an Android device is buggy and doesn't always render correctly. So far, the RIM Playbook offers the best Flash experience. I'm sure if Apple ever offers a Flash option for the iPad it will be implemented better than the current Android variation.
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #21
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I noticed a big difference in performance on Netflix (no hesitation or dropping signal in 3G mode) from the ipad 1.
I've updated my original iPad to the latest firmware. Netflix operates much smoother and better now.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #22
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
It appears that most new apps you see these days are for Apple or Android. Yay? Nay?
As both an Android user and an iPad user, I've found several apps which are only available for the iPad. I've also found several apps which are implemented better on the iPad than they are on Android (some drastically better). So far, I'm not sure if I've experienced any apps which are better on Android than on iOS. There probably are some, I'm sure.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #23
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
A non-working card reader is a show-stopper for me (and of course a missing card reader even more so).
I once thought this way, it only seems logical. But after owning an iPad for a month now, with everything so well thought-out, not having an SD slot isn't that big of deal. I really did need it on my Android tablets, but on the iPad it's not really missed.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #24
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
There's lots of happy folks over in the Android forum.
I've spent a year and a bit in the Android forums (both in MobileRead and in several other forums). There are some happy folks there. There's also many who practice 'denial' (Problem? What problem?). There are also many who are trying quite hard to overcome hardware or software problems... and working around the clock to do so. It is these folks who constitute the majority by far.

Last edited by pphilipp; 04-22-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #25
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
There isn't exactly a ton of tablet-apps for android...
AMEN! With every Android tablet I purchased, I really hoped this inconsistency would be overcome, but I finally just through up my hands and sold all my tablets. Far too many non-tablet apps.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #26
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Apple Haters

It boggles the mind to read all the postings on the Apple thread of folks who claim to be Apple Haters. If you hate the product, the company, or the owner, then why are you posting in this forum at all?
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #27
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
It boggles the mind to read all the postings on the Apple thread of folks who claim to be Apple Haters. If you hate the product, the company, or the owner, then why are you posting in this forum at all?
For the sake of HUMANITY!!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #28
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
For the sake of HUMANITY!!!!
Ah, Kennyc, you crack me up!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Ah, Kennyc, you crack me up!
And I love your Reasonable Ticker-Goal!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #30
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
I once thought this way, it only seems logical. But after owning an iPad for a month now, with everything so well thought-out, not having an SD slot isn't that big of deal. I really did need it on my Android tablets, but on the iPad it's not really missed.
I have to have this feature because of the way I keep and view media/content. I keep all of my content on SDHC cards and just swap them around as needed depending on what content I feel like consuming at the moment: ebooks, movies, music, pictures, etc. I do not use any kind of "syncing" programs, nor do I use "the cloud". I simply must have SDHC. I do keep some content on USB thumb drives though, but SDHC cards can just be left in the device and don't stick out of the side/top/bottom while being used.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote