Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
janneman
janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BEBOOK
XML files and XSD file to EPUB

I have downloaded documentation in an XML format from the siemens website.

It is zip folder with:
- XML file
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<export version="1.0" type="xml" xmlns:child="http://www.schema.de/2002/ST4/Transformation/child" xmlns:attribute="http://www.schema.de/2002/ST4/Transformation/attribute" xmlns:outgoinglink="http://www.schema.de/2002/ST4/Transformation/outgoinglink" xmlns:incominglink="http://www.schema.de/2002/ST4/Transformation/incominglink" xmlns:parentlink="http://www.schema.de/2002/ST4/Transformation/parentlink" xmlns:stobject="http://www.schema.de/2002/ST4/Transformation/stobject" xmlns:external="http://www.schema.de/2002/ST4/Transformation/external">
  <metadata>
    <documentid>0ef014e9-7e5d-4afe-8924-232b265888bb</documentid>
    <title>MDM - WinCC: Working with WinCC</title>
    <creationdate>3/31/2011 1:58:00 PM</creationdate>
    <created_by>XXXXXXXXXXXX</created_by>
    <url>
    </url>
  </metadata>
  <node title="Working with Projects">
    <topic title="Working with Projects" href="datavalues/en-US/T_2350636427_16484426123_en-US_3.xml" />
    <topic title="Opening WinCC Explorer" href="datavalues/en-US/T_10393969035_16484426123_en-US_4.xml" />

AND SO ON ....

<node title="Source documents">
    <topic title="&#xA;                  " href="datavalues/T_documentList.xml" />
  </node>
</export>
- an XSD file
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!--

Siemens AuD My Documentation Manager XML Export Structure SCHEMA DEFINITION (XMLExport.xsd) 
     Copyright© 2007 SIEMENS AG   

Version 1.00 2007-11-27

Aenderungen:

-->
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" version="1.0">
	<xs:element name="created_by">
		<xs:simpleType>
			<xs:restriction base="xs:string"/>
		</xs:simpleType>
	</xs:element>
	<xs:element name="creationdate">
	<xs:element name="documentid">
	<xs:element name="export">
		<xs:complexType>
			<xs:sequence>
				<xs:element name="metadata" type="metadataType"/>
				<xs:element name="structure" type="structureType" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
			</xs:sequence>
			<xs:attribute name="version" use="required">
					<xs:restriction base="xs:decimal"/>
			</xs:attribute>
			<xs:attribute name="type" use="required">
		</xs:complexType>
	<xs:complexType name="metadataType">
		<xs:sequence>
			<xs:element ref="documentid"/>
			<xs:element ref="title"/>
			<xs:element ref="creationdate"/>
			<xs:element ref="created_by"/>
			<xs:element ref="url"/>
	<xs:complexType name="nodeType">
		<xs:attribute name="title" use="required">
		<xs:attribute name="href" use="required">
	<xs:complexType name="structureType">
		<xs:sequence maxOccurs="unbounded">
			<xs:element name="topic" type="nodeType" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
			<xs:element name="structure" type="structureType" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
		<xs:attribute name="title" use="required">
	<xs:element name="title">
	<xs:element name="url">
			<xs:restriction base="xs:anyURI"/>
</xs:schema>

- a subfolder 'datavalues' with all the chapters in XML format

How can I convert this zipfile to an epub file?

I tried calibre, but it won't accept the zip file.

thanks

Last edited by janneman; 03-31-2011 at 04:24 PM.
janneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Ask Siemens to do it?

An XML file has no standard. It is a way of define arbitrary content however you wish with a consistent parsing mechanism. The interpretation requires the application of the schema definition to each element. There are some generalized parsers that that decode the data using the defined schema and provide some level of interpretation but there is no converter that I know of that can interpret an arbitrary XML file using its defining DTD or schema and then automatically produce another document in a different format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
janneman
janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.janneman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Ask Siemens to do it?
Dale
I posted it on the siemens forum.

I also tried creating an XLS file to generate an html.
But XML uses attributes to store data, so it is not working yet.
(First time xml coding attempts here...)

will try some more some other time
Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
janneman

The xml is in Schema ST4 format

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCHEMA_ST4 [german wikipedia only]
http://www.schema.de/eds/index.php?lang=en

Is there an easy way to convert these?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
The xml is in Schema ST4 format

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCHEMA_ST4 [german wikipedia only]
http://www.schema.de/eds/index.php?lang=en

Is there an easy way to convert these?
Well, it seems that the second reference already provides the conversion tools as part of the product.

Quote:
The automatic generation of various formats (PDF, Microsoft Word, or Adobe FrameMaker, etc.) is part of the standard functionality. With the Öffnet internen Link im aktuellen FensterDocumentation Production Center (DPC), a partner solution from SEAL Systems, creation of product documentation can be triggered centrally from the ERP system (SAP). The connection to AntennaHouse XSL Formatter, Adobe InDesign, or the Layoutomizer from Flyer-Ex allows for automated layout generation.
http://www.schema.de/eds/index.php?o...mid=43&lang=en

Dale
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
janneman

You can download the documentation from the website in PDF, RTF and XML.

I tried converting the PDF and the RTF formats to epub, using calibre. But this doesn't give the result I want.

Unfortunately I can't find a tool to convert the ST4 XML format to something calibre understands.

Thanks for the help though
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

RTF is read by all sorts of programs and some eBook readers will read it directly. It should be fairly easy to convert RTF to something else, more eBook friendly. For example you can read RTF into Open Office writer and use an available macro to make a ePUB.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
janneman

Indeed, my bebook also supports RTF. But since the RTF is + 35 MB in size, it won't open.
I tried splitting in smaller chunks, this worked but the layout is not as good as I want.

I tried converting the full rtf with calibre, but after converting at 90% CPU usage for over an hour I gave up

Will look into the macro you mentioned this evening.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
janneman

Ok, so I don't like the macro thing. Also the RTF is +30MB.
Being curious as to how all this is possible when you start from perfectly ordered data in an xml I started coding some XSL (My second go at it) and i'm making a bit of progress.

I think this is a better option (compared to converting from RTF) because:
- I start from XML which has the document structure
- I will be converting more documentation in the same format
- I learn some XML and XSL

However, I still have to find a way to convert XML + XSL to EPUB

The document structure is:
/
/XmlExport.xml = a list with links to all topics
/en-us = a folder with all topics in seperate xml files
/en = a folder with all images

the XSL for the XmlExport.xml is :
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!-- Edited by CAJAC -->
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
<xsl:template match="/">
<html>
<body>
<ul>
<xsl:for-each select="export/node">
   <li> <xsl:value-of select="@title" /> </li>
   <ul>
   <xsl:for-each select="node/topic">
      <li><a>
	     <xsl:attribute name="href">
            <xsl:value-of select="@href" />
         </xsl:attribute> 
		 <xsl:value-of select="@title" /></a></li>
   </xsl:for-each>
   </ul>
</xsl:for-each>
</ul>
</body>
</html>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>
Next I will try to create an XSL file for the individual topics..