Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
omoplata
omoplata began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pocketbook 603 typing and text searching

I'm waiting for the US release of Pocketbook 603. But I'm not sure if it's exactly what I want. Maybe a Pocketbook 302 would suite me better. I chose Pocketbook because of pdf and djvu support.

In the review videos I've seen of the PB902 and PB602, the on screen keyboard used for typing the search words works like this. The alphabet of the keyboard is divided to several segments (five as I remember). Once you choose one of those your choice narrows down to a smaller set and you carry on until you can choose one letter or number. This seems to be the fastest way possible to type in a device like the PB902/PB602 which has no touch screen or off screen keyboard. Does PB903/PB603 use the same kind of keyboard?

I want the PB603 because I think the touch screen will make interaction faster. But it's not going to be that fast if it uses the same kind of keyboard.

What about the PB302? Can I search within books (djvu and pdf) ? Will I be able to just tap once the individual keys on the on screen keyboard to type?
omoplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by omoplata View Post
I want the PB603 because I think the touch screen will make interaction faster. But it's not going to be that fast if it uses the same kind of keyboard.
I have a 903, but i guess the only difference with 603 is size - with the 903 I only see a regular keyboard, and so far I have had no problems with the dictionary search
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
omoplata

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
with the 903 I only see a regular keyboard
Thanks for the answer paolamanzini. Does a regular keyboard mean you only need to tap once on a letter to type it?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Thanks for the answer paolamanzini. Does a regular keyboard mean you only need to tap once on a letter to type it?
Yes, only once.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
omoplata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Yes, only once.
Great! Thanks.
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
Quote:
Great! Thanks.
Be aware that text input into 903/603 is very slow. i estimate the maximum keypresses to 2 per second. so if you expect a speed that equals handy touchscreens, you'll be disappointed.
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
omoplata

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongdong View Post
Be aware that text input into 903/603 is very slow. i estimate the maximum keypresses to 2 per second. so if you expect a speed that equals handy touchscreens, you'll be disappointed.
Oh, well. I guess it is the best that can be done with e-ink readers at this time. I don't want a tablet because I want to be able to read outside in the sunlight.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
It's not the best that can be done. Aside from the fact that the current keyboard is useless without the stylus, the reason it's so slow is that it keeps flashing the keys you press! If they just stopped doing that, the text could appear much faster. It's obvious from the fact that you can tap much faster than it shows. This could be improved with a firmware update.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
omoplata

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTech View Post
the reason it's so slow is that it keeps flashing the keys you press! If they just stopped doing that, the text could appear much faster. It's obvious from the fact that you can tap much faster than it shows. This could be improved with a firmware update.
I really hope they would do that. That would improve things a lot. I'm going to post in the 'requested features' tread.