Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Resolution of standby screen pictures

I've managed to nuke the pictures that came with the reader, before I've checked their resolution. Can anyone check that for me? I thought it's 600x800, but pictures of that size that I've put on the reader have thin borders when used as standby screen pictures.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
1200x1534
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Just set the aspect ratio to 0.75 (width) to 1 (height) and you should be OK. 600/800 = 0.75 so I don't know why you are seeing borders. I've used 1200 * 1600 and it works well.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I have put on several 600x800 pics and they don't have a border. You can also use any of the kindle or nook screensaver pics on the sony.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoob View Post
I've managed to nuke the pictures that came with the reader, before I've checked their resolution. Can anyone check that for me? I thought it's 600x800, but pictures of that size that I've put on the reader have thin borders when used as standby screen pictures.
The size is correct at 600 x 800 pixels. Basically any size with a 3 x 4 ratio should work, though if it is too small the resolution will look pixelated.

I use 600 x 800 and they work well and don't have borders. One thing to remember though is that if you use a color image it will get reduced by the reader to a 16 greyscale image. When that happens, the image might look dithered. That might be why you have borders. That is, the color near the edge got dithered rather than blending in as it did in the original. Your best bet when creating screens is to find a program that will let you create them in 4-bit greyscale (16 shades). That way you can see if any dithering is going to occur.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-04-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast
TimeTraveler doesn't litterTimeTraveler doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 PRS-650,Asus Transformer Prime and Kindle Fire HDX
Using Photoshop I reduced a picture to 1151 x 1534 and set it to gray scale. Using the Reader Library I dragged it over to my 350. I can see it on my computer screen under pictures but it doesn't show up on the reader. Only the ones that came with the reader show up. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler View Post
Using Photoshop I reduced a picture to 1151 x 1534 and set it to gray scale. Using the Reader Library I dragged it over to my 350. I can see it on my computer screen under pictures but it doesn't show up on the reader. Only the ones that came with the reader show up. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
I guess I should have said that I can see the picture I made along with the rest of the background screen pictures by selecting them with the reader turned on. I can only see the pictures that came with the reader when I go to standby. Is there somewhere that I have to set a picture to come up in standby?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

From the main menu select Applications then select Pictures/See All. Once in the pictures screen use the physical Options button and you should see a menu item for 'Select Standby Screen'. Check or uncheck pictures you want to see when going into standby mode. Select Done in the upper right corner.

Last edited by grooks; 10-04-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: final step
Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
From the main menu select Applications then select Pictures/See All. Once in the pictures screen use the physical Options button and you should see a menu item for 'Select Standby Screen'. Check or uncheck pictures you want to see when going into standby mode. Select Done in the upper right corner.
Yep. I was just going to tell him to read the manual (page 84). They might be surprised how many answers they will find if they actually read the manual!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard

I never read the manual. Any new device I go through all the menu options and figure it out myself.

I'm sure there are a few little items I haven't figured out yet and probably should read the manual.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Thanks! I was in the applications menu but failed to see the "Select all" in the upper right hand corner.

I stopped in the manual on page 83 where it said "To transfer pictures to the Reader using Reader Library, refer to Reader Library Help" which got me sidetracked. Thanks to you guys setting me straight.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
For anyone wondering what I did wrong: apparently I've specified the export options wrong, as the files got resized, but retaining the proportions. As a result, I got 600 x 753 or something like that
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote