Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Kindle DX outside USA, found in Canada

Too bad Amazon will not ship it to anywhere outside USA.
I just come across this one,
http://www.ca-united.com/ebook-reade...ng-device.html

Looks like they ship worldwide. The price is a bit !$#!@% though..
Just ordered mine, finger crossed

I hope it will be much better PDF reader than my great little Sony...

lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Good luck. The Sony PRS-505 has a much sharper rendering of PDF files. The DX is a little dissapointing in this regard. Other than that it does a reasonable job though perhaps the DR100s is a better over all for PDFs. The redeeming feature of the DX is apparently its refresh speed which is better than the DR100s.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
lovemov
Enthusiast

I was thinking buying an iRex, but the price is too steep at almost $1000 in my country. I think DX has less pixels than iRex but not by too much, hope the best.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You have my condolences.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It still suprises me that they haven't made it global, very slow Amazon!

As for those services that allow you to get it overseas, always expect to pay like a 30% premium.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
lovemov
Enthusiast

That's so true. And no wireless service too
When I had my Sony 505, there are books only available in USA. I was using proxy server to get books I want, not reliable but it works most of the time.
Will be trying my new Kindle on proxy. Too bad it has no WiFi
Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
lovemov
Enthusiast

I got it I got! Man I love it.
I spend a night with my DX, it's so much better than my old beloved Sony 505.
I know the pdf rendering isn't perfect, but it's so cool I can finally read full pages in acceptable font size. I hope Amazon will roll out their new firmware soon to make pdf even better.

I also got e-coupon to save $40 for my second DX, well, I won't be able to afford another any time soon so if someone wants it, I'd be happy to pass it to you, PM me.

Happy and sleepless!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
lovemov
Enthusiast

Does any one in Toronto area know if 3G works? I am at AB US borders, 3G has weak signal but works sometimes. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Hello. I've owned a Sony 505 for over a year, and I bought a DX last week. And I live in Toronto.

I bought the DX from eBay for $534 US.

From first hand experience, the DX is much better than the 505 for displaying PDFs, although I've only tested with a few PDFs, including a book and a technical document.

3G is very strong in the Toronto area... (of not benefit to the DX of course)

And I've been buying books via a US VPN without issue.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
lovemov
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
3G is very strong in the Toronto area... (of not benefit to the DX of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
And I've been buying books via a US VPN without issue.
Well, same here, but I once bought a magazine, have no time to download, and when I travel near the border, I got delivery on air, cool.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I just received my "refurb" (i.e. new) Kindle DX from Amazon. The .pdf rendering is incredible.

My 505 is going back to Target. The DX is a hell of a machine.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote