Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Question SD Memory options?

Hello. I was wondering perhaps if someone could help clarify which "SD Memory" card options are viable for the Sony PRS-505? I only ask because the owners manual is rather nondescript about any possible limitations on the memory, such as size and speed class. From what I've found you can get SD memory in varying speed classes: 2, 4, 6, 8mb per/sec transfer speeds and accommodating up to 16GB of space. What has thrown me for a loop and threw up some flags for me was the following note in the owners manual: "An operation check is performed when using SD Memory Card of up to 2 GB, however, operation of all SD Memory Cards is not guaranteed." Thanks in advance for any aid anyone can offer in this matter.

-Abisha
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Do you really need a memory card for your reader? i can fit about 100 books into the internal memory.

When reading from a memory stick or SD card the battery drains faster.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Abisha--

One of the features of the new firmware for 505 is listed as:

"Support for SDHC memory cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB".

I haven't tried anything bigger than my 2GB SD card, which works fine for me. I know that some people have problems with battery life when using SD cards. I don't know if my battery life is less than it would be if I didn't have the SD card in, but my battery doesn't get below 2 bars even after a couple of weeks of reading 1-3 hours/day. I don't have a lot of stuff on my SD card because as Catire points out, you can fit a lot of books on the internal memory.

Hope this helps!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I don't know if my battery life is less than it would be if I didn't have the SD card in, but my battery doesn't get below 2 bars even after a couple of weeks of reading 1-3 hours/day.
I only use the Reader's internal memory, and I get a bit over three weeks with several hours of reading every day.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
With the new firmware I have had no issues using an 8 Gb SDHC card (Sandisk Extreme III) but large amounts of books will slow your reader down to a crawl or even render it unusable. It rebuilds the internal book database after each disconnect or (re)boot and anything over 2500 books will probably drain the battery before it finishes, making it painfully obvious that it was not designed with large libraries in mind. A file manager is called for before that becomes feasible.

So I've filled it up with high-quality manga and other comics/graphic novels/whatever the hell you want to call them, they eat space like crazy. I only slot it when the mood grabs me, but I have no complaints about the battery life.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-21-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: I speel good.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I've got quite a lot of books on an 8 gig SD card, but I unslot it when I'm not reading them. Otherwise, the battery drain is really noticeable. Pulling the card and then putting it back later does slow down the start up, but I like knowing that I've got the books backed up.
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Thanks for the replys everyone, it helps.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The big issue that I found with SD cards (I tried a 512MB and a 1GB) is that it drains the battery life more then an equivalent sized MemStick Duo.

So now I just have a 1GB MemStick Duo installed.

At the moment I have just shy of 400 books between my internal memory and the MemStick Duo card. And that's probably only around 300MB worth of books.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Just to add a little bright side to the tales of gloom about using SD cards

While on holiday I didn't charge the reader for over a week, reading easily 2-3 hours a day, exclusively books stored on a memory card, and the reader just about dropped to three bars out of four for the battery.

So it is still very usable with books stored on SD cards.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, Abisha:

I don't currently use an SD memory card, but at one time I did use a 2-gig card without serious problems. The "problem" is that, as the card begins to fill up, it just takes too long for the Reader to perform certain operations, thus draining the battery.

One more thing: I get a LOT more than 100 books on my internal Reader, as one member here estimated. I have 340 titles on my Sony PRS-505, with only about 20 of those being short stories. The rest are novels of average length.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Like Don, I get about 300 or more novels on the internal memory of my 500. I did experiment with both SD and memory card and found several things: 1) the battery did drain faster; 2) it took a lot longer when I added a book or deleted a book (even from internal memory) after I detached the USB cable before the reader was usable; 3) page turns on any book, even one in internal memory, took much longer.

So I gave up -- same with the MP3 file feature -- I experimented with it but found it's so much easier to use a dedicated MP3 player. I have a Creative Zen with 16GB internal memory (I bought it just before they came out with the 32GB version) flash memory and I have a 16GB SD card in it, so I've got about a year's solid listening (just joking, but close).
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I use my SD 2 gig card for reading everything but I think maybe something is wrong with my battery because I read about 3 hours a day and I'm down to 1 bar by the end of 7 days. (though I think part of it is that I'm using RTF files and the book reader re-flows RTF so I assumed that was draining the battery, plus all the bookmarking)

edit: PS. I don't think I mind the 7 day battery life because I like to re-charge when the battery gets down to 1 bar anyways...and when I recharage I add more stories to my book reader...so far the system is working rather well for me.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
No, nothing's wrong -- using an SD card drains the battery faster than not using any memory card.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Just to add another datapoint, I've read about 1500 pages since my last recharge, all from SD card, and am still showing 4 bars on the battery, so I'm definately not seeing the sort of terrible battery life some people seem to be experiencing.

I'm using a good quality SD card (SanDisk Extreme III), and the books are LRF format. This is with the latest firmware upgrade.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
I have to agree with murraypaul. I use SD cards exclusively and don't even keep the Sony memory stick in the reader. I have all of my books broken down by Author and by SD card and if there is a drain on my battery life it is insignificant. After all how hard is it to put it on a charge when it gets a couple of bars down. I have an external charge and the cost was insignificant. My cards when exchanged index in seconds and I can go about my merry way. Also by using the cards I do a direct install on them and bypass the cranky Sony software used for syncing. After several months of pretty much daily use I have no major issues with how I handle my reader and books.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote