Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
what's up with the ellipsis in Sigil?

It's like a fat em-dash or something.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You're going to have to give us more to go on. A screen shot or sample upload or something. Because ellipses look exactly like I expect ellipses to look like when I encounter them in Sigil. In Book View or Code View, I see something very similar to …
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
& helip ; (spaces added)
is a character in the font set, so weirdness must be with your font
or the book has hand coded a replacement. Typical dots separated by nonbreaking spaces
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ellipsis html code

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
& helip ; (spaces added)
or the book has hand coded a replacement. Typical dots separated by nonbreaking spaces
…

...you missed the double L

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the attachment is the screenshot

Thanks. Yes, the ellipsis in code actually looks like more of a fat underscore. In Book View and in emulators, however, it looks like the three dots (a normal elllipsis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You're going to have to give us more to go on. A screen shot or sample upload or something. Because ellipses look exactly like I expect ellipses to look like when I encounter them in Sigil. In Book View or Code View, I see something very similar to …
Attached Files
File Type: doc screenshotsigil.doc (200.0 KB, 179 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

I was using Garamond as the font. But after I saw your post, I switched to Times New Roman, but it made no difference. Then I got rid of the font altogether, but it still made no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
& helip ; (spaces added)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

this is a better screenshot

The first one was kind of small.

The ellipsis is on line 277. It's like:

"Oh my_ oh my my my." (And there is a space after the ellipsis.)

In Book View it comes out:

"Oh my... oh my my my."

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	betterscreenshot.png
Views:	263
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	100327  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Change the default fonts for Book View in your preferences.

Since you are using Linux its likely the default font was set to whatever was first in the list.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Show us the code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

JS!

The screenshots were in code! (Unless I'm horribly missing something.) And checking out something else, I stumbled across an instance where a regular ellipsis (...) AND the funky-fat-underscore-faux ellipsis were in the same screenshot. (And it's attached.) I just took a MS word doc, saved it as 'web page filtered' as an HTML, opened it in sigil and looked at the code.

On 2016 1/2 is the regular ellipsis: "I cant' waste any more time, Mare..."

On 2020 is the funky ellipsis: "__we just keep going in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Show us the code.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evenbetterscreenshot.png
Views:	258
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	100336  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
'funky ellipsis' and 3 periods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
The screenshots were in code! (Unless I'm horribly missing something.) And checking out something else, I stumbled across an instance where a regular ellipsis (...) AND the funky-fat-underscore-faux ellipsis were in the same screenshot. (And it's attached.) I just took a MS word doc, saved it as 'web page filtered' as an HTML, opened it in sigil and looked at the code.

On 2016 1/2 is the regular ellipsis: "I cant' waste any more time, Mare..."

On 2020 is the funky ellipsis: "__we just keep going in circles
I believe that what you're seeing is the 3 periods are just that , three periods. And the 'funky ellipsis' is three bigger dots that are real close together.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
On my monitor 100% is really small. You might try setting Sigil by the slide bar at the bottom right to about 130% and that might make it clearer. You can set the font as stated above, and also the size of the default text if that would make things clearer in preferences.

The software used by Sigil and Calibre for page display is not at all the same as used by nearly any reader device.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd like to repeat meme's advice in case it got overlooked or lost in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Change the default fonts for Book View in your preferences.

Since you are using Linux its likely the default font was set to whatever was first in the list.
Edit->Preferences->Appearance->CSS/Code View->Standard Font

Change it to something other than what it it now and see if it improves.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

You're right!

thanks, man. I thought there was no way what you said was right. I mean, it clearly looks like an emboldened underscore, but when I turned up the magnification I could see the three dots. Amazing! lol thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I believe that what you're seeing is the 3 periods are just that , three periods. And the 'funky ellipsis' is three bigger dots that are real close together.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Your suggestion to magnify allowed me to see that there were actually three dots there. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
On my monitor 100% is really small. You might try setting Sigil by the slide bar at the bottom right to about 130% and that might make it clearer. You can set the font as stated above, and also the size of the default text if that would make things clearer in preferences.

The software used by Sigil and Calibre for page display is not at all the same as used by nearly any reader device.