Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Some questions about Fire

Can you use a stylus, or will the touch screen only react to your finger?

Can you "open it up" to the Android Marketplace, and also how is the Amazon Marketplace in comparison?

If you "open it up", can you install other mobile reader software so you can read books not in mobi format?

How fast is it in general?

How good is it for things other than reading?

How good are the dictionaries, and is it possible to somehow install other dictionaries if need be that will work with reader software? Also, if you can "open up" Fire, will other reader software be able to be used easily with dictionaries?

Similarly, how about annotation capabilities and can those be used on other reader software if "opened up"?

How good is the screen?

I've never had a tablet. Really, how easy is it to use an on-screen keyboard? Is it actually feasible to place your fingers as on an actual keyboard and type fast?

Thanks for any help; since I had such varied questions I thought it best just to put them all together for help.

ETA - Oops, I think this needs to be in the Fire sub-forum; thanks for the move!

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-23-2011 at 05:45 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Umm... you may be ahead of your time, no one has one yet. I would guess we'll all get answers to your questions starting mid-November.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Yes, yes, I think I may be a bit...premature.

Well, I should say I hope for people's opinions on what they think the answers may, as I may be inclined to order one soon.

But besides that, we can call this thread a "work in progress".
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Can you use a stylus, or will the touch screen only react to your finger?
You can use a capacitive stylus which has a special tip that simulates a finger such as pogostick.
Quote:
Can you "open it up" to the Android Marketplace, and also how is the Amazon Marketplace in comparison?
No, this hardware does not meet Google requirements. A custom rom would be required to get Android Marketplace. Amazon marketplace is not as good as the google one. There are other marketplaces that you will likely be able to use. The wiki has a discussion on marketplaces on the Android page
Quote:
If you "open it up", can you install other mobile reader software so you can read books not in mobi format?
Non DRM mobi files should be ok out of the box. There is no DRM capable Mobi reader available for any Android.

Quote:
How fast is it in general?
Faster than a speeding bullet

Quote:
How good is it for things other than reading?
It is designed to be good for video and music as well as reading.

Quote:
How good are the dictionaries, and is it possible to somehow install other dictionaries if need be that will work with reader software? Also, if you can "open up" Fire, will other reader software be able to be used easily with dictionaries?
likely the same as Kindle, Other readers or applications will not be able to use Amazon Kindle dictionaries. There may be other Android dictionaries that can be used.
Quote:
Similarly, how about annotation capabilities and can those be used on other reader software if "opened up"?
Same answer as for dictionaries.

Quote:
How good is the screen?
The same as an Apple iPad with better resolution.
Quote:
I've never had a tablet. Really, how easy is it to use an on-screen keyboard? Is it actually feasible to place your fingers as on an actual keyboard and type fast?
A 7" screen is too small for easy typing. You will be able to finger the keyboard for touch typing will be difficult to impossible.

Quote:
Thanks for any help; since I had such varied questions I thought it best just to put them all together for help.

ETA - Oops, I think this needs to be in the Fire sub-forum; thanks for the move!
Wait till it comes out and see how good I was.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You can use a capacitive stylus which has a special tip that simulates a finger such as pogostick.

No, this hardware does not meet Google requirements. A custom rom would be required to get Android Marketplace. Amazon marketplace is not as good as the google one. There are other marketplaces that you will likely be able to use. The wiki has a discussion on marketplaces on the Android page

Non DRM mobi files should be ok out of the box. There is no DRM capable Mobi reader available for any Android.

Faster than a speeding bullet

It is designed to be good for video and music as well as reading.

likely the same as Kindle, Other readers or applications will not be able to use Amazon Kindle dictionaries. There may be other Android dictionaries that can be used.

Same answer as for dictionaries.

The same as an Apple iPad with better resolution.

A 7" screen is too small for easy typing. You will be able to finger the keyboard for touch typing will be difficult to impossible.

Wait till it comes out and see how good I was.

Dale
dale gave some very good information ill add a few from what ive read, this tablet will also play most low mid and high end games but may stumble on some of the hard core 3d games (dont worry there arent alot yet) also for keyboard every other tablet out there has acess to a case that has a built in blutooth keyboard.. since the fire does not have a blutooth they may eventually make a case that plugs directly into the fire for physical keyboard function but it depends on how well the device does over the holiday.

if your not worried about gaming, you wont find a larger book collection movie collection or music collection anywhere on the internet but thier app market while massive compared to most other markets itune app store and android app store are still the kings for now.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
If it allows the keyboard to come up in landscape mode, it should be possible to touch type in an awkward way but reasonably fast way

if you have small hands and fingers
if you are very good at touch typing
if you are able to adapt.

It will be like using one of those small electronic music keyboards.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
markkenzy
Enthusiast
markkenzy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch, Kindle Fire
It seems that kindle fire doesnt have a USB 2.0 cable. So, I'm wondering how can I put my content (pdf, mp3...) into my kindle <without wifi, of course>.
markkenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkenzy View Post
It seems that kindle fire doesnt have a USB 2.0 cable. So, I'm wondering how can I put my content (pdf, mp3...) into my kindle <without wifi, of course>.
I hope this isn't a trend. My Sony Tablet didn't come with a cable either. You'll need to use a cable from another device (your NOOK perhaps?). Or buy one.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
markkenzy
Enthusiast
markkenzy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch, Kindle Fire
yeah, I got my nook cable, but I'm not sure it'll be compatible with kindle fire or not. Will see...
markkenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
yeah, I got my nook cable, but I'm not sure it'll be compatible with kindle fire or not. Will see...
Is it a micro-B connector? If so, it should work if you can sync via the computer. The only ones that wouldn't would be ones for cameras as they use less power than computer devices.

And in saying that... $1 ones from China wouldn't work. I've tried already, LOL.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I hope this isn't a trend. My Sony Tablet didn't come with a cable either. You'll need to use a cable from another device (your NOOK perhaps?). Or buy one.
From Amazon's site:

Downloading and Transferring Files via USB

You can transfer a variety of content from a Windows or Mac computer to your Kindle Fire through a USB cable (sold separately), including music, videos, photos, and documents. When your Kindle Fire is plugged into your computer, it will appear as a removable mass-storage device.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200729530

Bummer.

I imagine my cable from my K3 should work.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Which Nook? The e-Ink Nook cables will work, but the Nook Color/Tablet cables are special and work only with those devices (although standard cables will also work with all Nook devices).

Your "Device" profile indicates the Simple Touch, so you would be fine.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote