Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
NaNoWriMo 2010

It's getting around that time again folks. We had a hell of a run last year. And now with some new blood around here, hopefully we'll have some more fun this go around.

So - who's in!?

I haven't made my decision yet on what I'm working on. Here's my top 3.

Quote:
Copy: Psychic

It was an event 50,000 years in the making. Planetary orbits and gravity have pulled Mars and Earth closer than ever before. For the first time in history, Earth has two moons.

Corpse white and blood red, they stare down on the troubled city of Lyton as it is turned into the devil's playground for this two week phenomenon.

Detective Wilfrey sure has his hands full. Bodies are turning up savagely mutilated. The streets are being flooded with a new drug known only as "pain." The local animals are going batso.

Crackpot psychics are claiming some great undead evil is awakening. And to top it all off, a little old woman needs his help...

...It's just another day in paradise.
Option 2....
Quote:
Copy: Night Watch
Fifty years after the Delta Wars, the world as we know it is changed. Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs fight for scraps of land that the dregs of humanity have long claimed. Leaders scramble to save the world from walking weapons of mass destruction. With the Earth raped and humanity grasping at straws for survival, new terrors emerge.

Tranquility City was a place of paradise. In a time since past, people would come from all around to see its sights. Now it stands hollowed and empty, a ruin of days gone by. Scattered lawmen struggle to maintain control of a city swallowed by blight.

Darwin, an outlawed mage, leads a pack of roving bandits. The streets cry out in fear. He owns this city. But, there’s one problem with being king. Someone else always wants it more.

Wolf wants one thing: Justice. Constantly hunted through the gullies of Tranquility City, he finally strikes back. And in an instant, the hunted becomes the hunter. But there’s always someone bigger, someone meaner. Genocide always has its consequences.

Enter Alpha, first class of the new Watchers. He stands alone in defense of the few that still call the city home. But one night, one call, can change your life in a matter of seconds.

These three all have something in common.

And it’s hungry.
Option the third...
Quote:
Copy: Ashes of Autumn
Basil Thime is the farthest thing from a soldier you could find in the sleepy town of Rolle. He’d rather tinker with his toys than march in formation under the hot October sky. But, you can’t foster teenage dreams in the shadow of your father’s former glory.

Now the fog of war has settled over the valley and upset the balance of peace. The White Cloaks march with the Revolutionaries, turning the life he used to know to ashes of forgotten memories. As the village rallies for battle, Basil finds himself thrust into the heart of a conspiracy older than time itself.

Choices are made. Legends will die, the phoenix will rise and the future will be won with the blood of the fallen.
The last one is still being worked on, so I don't think it qualifies for a NaNo entry.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 10-12-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Clean up text.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I will be participating as a "Nano rebel" again this year. I'm going to continue my WIP (a collection of short stories).

I'm going to track my writing per day in November with an eye to hitting 50K, but I won't claim a "win".

My just-released novel, The Summoning Fire (in my sig), was originally written for Nano 2006 (I won that year).

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm going to try for the 50k mark this year again. I have some ideas but nothing very detailed as yet. Your 1st idea sounds really interesting jaxx6166. I'd certainly read it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm going to try for the 50k mark this year again. I have some ideas but nothing very detailed as yet. Your 1st idea sounds really interesting jaxx6166. I'd certainly read it.
I'm going to call you cricket. Thanks for your support for #1. That was my original idea for NaNo last year, and my second idea for this year. But, I'm going to be hard at work on two NaNo's this year probably. #1 and #3.

The last one has a special meaning and I can't wait until it's finally finished. Officially, #3 will be my NaNo because it helped me get my act together in the past several years. And for whatever reason, when I do anything NaNo-related, my output triples. Beyond the Black was written in a little under two weeks for last year's NaNo. It was mostly crap, but it still was finished.

Then, during my writing group's JuNo, I finished Into the Hills in 30 days.

So, I'm hoping that with NaNo I'll be able to complete the project, shoot it off to a couple of friends for a quick lookie-do, then shoot it out to LuLu for a copy to give my uncle for the holidays.

Maybe I'll do the same thing with the other two books I've completed and give it to 'em in a gift basket.

Hopefully by that time, it'll be four.

Last year we had....*checks his NaNo friends* 10 from MobileRead on there. I'm hoping for a similar showing this year.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll be there again this year. Last year I finally managed to make the 50k mark for the 1st time. I don't know if my effort from last year will ever be publishable but it was interesting. I got off to a slow start and finished up with 50,074 words in 28 days. I hope to do better this year with more planning than I did with last years project. I don't know if I would want to try doing two at once myself, but I can see the advantages if you can. If one bogs down for the day you can always work on the other one. I go by CBrentner over at NaNo. Not very imaginative I know, but at least it's easy to remember. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I'm going to call you cricket. Thanks for your support for #1. That was my original idea for NaNo last year, and my second idea for this year. But, I'm going to be hard at work on two NaNo's this year probably. #1 and #3.

The last one has a special meaning and I can't wait until it's finally finished. Officially, #3 will be my NaNo because it helped me get my act together in the past several years. And for whatever reason, when I do anything NaNo-related, my output triples. Beyond the Black was written in a little under two weeks for last year's NaNo. It was mostly crap, but it still was finished.

Then, during my writing group's JuNo, I finished Into the Hills in 30 days.

So, I'm hoping that with NaNo I'll be able to complete the project, shoot it off to a couple of friends for a quick lookie-do, then shoot it out to LuLu for a copy to give my uncle for the holidays.

Maybe I'll do the same thing with the other two books I've completed and give it to 'em in a gift basket.

Hopefully by that time, it'll be four.

Last year we had....*checks his NaNo friends* 10 from MobileRead on there. I'm hoping for a similar showing this year.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I wish there were a ShoStoWriMo. There is no way I am getting a novel out in a month, but with a more realistic expectation to get one short story out in a month, I might just buck up and finally do it.

To be continued...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

You could approach it as writing a series of short stories that inter-relate to form a larger story. I mean you could write either (five) 10,000 word stories or (ten) 5,000 word stories in that time and have them be connected together. I'm thinking of doing something like that for NaNo myself. In one of the other threads (about short stories) someone mentioned that other novels have used that basic structure. Gone With The Wind and The Cantebury Tales among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I wish there were a ShoStoWriMo. There is no way I am getting a novel out in a month, but with a more realistic expectation to get one short story out in a month, I might just buck up and finally do it.

To be continued...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I won't be trying to win, but I'll use NaNoWriMo as a challenge for myself to get the sequel to The Kinshield Legacy finished (first draft, that is) or close to finished. I need to look over what I've written so far to see if I want to keep it or start fresh.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Apart from being a great exercise in writing discipline, NaNoWriMo can actually produce superb work off the cuff that can go places. You might well be pleasantly surprised by what you can achieve beyond picking up some good writing habits.

I went for a submission to my own indie house a couple of years ago that I later found to have been written from scratch in 30 days for the challenge. (Mind you, it was almost a year in edit before publication.)

It's since done (and is doing) well in paperback and ebook. If anyone thinking twice about the value of the scheme wants to take a look at this particular result, just drop me a line with your preferred ebook format (PDF, ePub or Mobi) and I'll be happy to send it along with our compliments.

Best wishes and good luck. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (but use the @ sign).

PS: If you'd like to check out the book details before asking for a copy, just hit our website (linked below) and go to the bookstore section where you will find *The Movie* by Bosley Gravel.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I... might.

It really depends on what's going on at the time, what with my working to rebrand my existing novels and get them up on the site. But I do have some odd ideas out there, not sure how much I can get out of them, thinking about giving them a try. If I decide I need a break from the rebranding process, and November 1 is conveniently around the corner, I may jump on one of these.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pfft. 50,000 words in a month?

Piece of cake
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yeah, Nick ... but these guys are writing from scratch. You had a lifetime of self-research to type up over a weekend; you only had to clevery and entertainingly order the material you already had before collapsing in a heap. That was no mean feat, but NaNoWriMo folks are supposed to kick of with nothing but a blank sheet and start hitting the keys with an idea from imagination rather than from experience. Many cheat. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"A lifetime of self research"... that's the nicest way of saying 'act like a bit of a pillock' I think I've ever heard
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Actually you don't have to start from absolute scratch on Nov. 1st. Many participants do at least some prep work in the month prior to the start of NaNo so that they have some idea of what they want to write about. It's just that you aren't supposed to write the actual text of the story til Nov. 1st comes round. I don't think you need a lifetime of experience either. Just that life experience that the average person has. The ages range from teens on up to grandparents and anywhere in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Yeah, Nick ... but these guys are writing from scratch. You had a lifetime of self-research to type up over a weekend; you only had to clevery and entertainingly order the material you already had before collapsing in a heap. That was no mean feat, but NaNoWriMo folks are supposed to kick of with nothing but a blank sheet and start hitting the keys with an idea from imagination rather than from experience. Many cheat. Neil
Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
I'm participating :-). Haven't decided what I'm going to work on yet, though. *They don't call me The Queen of Procrastination for nothing ;-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote