Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which Readers are designed for writing? If there are, they would not be Readers. Readers are designed for reading.
There are writing apps for the Kindle Fire. One app I know is designed to help you create an outline and other apps are like writing on pads or allow you to create notebooks that can be exported as PDF files for printing later. Of course the Kindle Fire is for more than just reading a book to start with as it is basically a tablet computer.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #32
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Fire tablet isn't a "reader", it's a backlit tablet.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #33
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
A lot of the criticism of these devices, especially re: the writing experience, is for the older tech.
I don't know, from what I can still see, at least one or more are still applicable.

And they've made leaps within their own e-ink ecosystem, but you always have to ask "Compared to what?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
For those who are interested, here a number of other devices that are *designed* to be suitable for reading and writing.
Also, I assumed this was already the case, but you may also want to talk in the device-specific sections of MobileRead:

Onyx Boox

People who actually own the devices are there, so they'd probably be able to tell you more specific info than the users in the Writers' Corner.

Looks like there's lots of reviews/comparisons between the devices, and lots of real-world discussion between actual owners.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Fire tablet isn't a "reader", it's a backlit tablet.
Yes, but it's fine for reading; I use it as required when I need to do more than "simply" read. I freely admit that my Voyage is my go-to for simply reading. I have an original sized Fire and a Fire 10" and the 10 can be rather handy for browsing, writing, other tasks.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #35
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but it's fine for reading; I use it as required when I need to do more than "simply" read. I freely admit that my Voyage is my go-to for simply reading. I have an original sized Fire and a Fire 10" and the 10 can be rather handy for browsing, writing, other tasks.

Hitch
Sure, but I thought the topic of the thread pertained to e-ink readers, not multi-use tablets.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Sure, but I thought the topic of the thread pertained to e-ink readers, not multi-use tablets.
Didn't he actually just say eReaders, rather than eInk? I agree that it's an easy thing to slide into...we all kinda assumed he meant eInk, but perhaps that wasn't the intent? (Not arguing; mulling...)

Anyway...I was simply clarifying that despite all the eReaders around here--and lord knows, like bunnies, they are plentiful and multiply--I do actually still think of the Fire as an eReader, not a tablet. FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:12 AM   #37
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
I'm not as pedantic as it may seem. I'm not in the market for a tablet but the use case has pretty close parallels.

@Deskisamess - do you mean writing using something like a BT keyboard, or another sort of ap-pen-dage?

@Tex2002ans, I've been posting a lot in the E-book Reader sub forum, but few people there (or anywhere for that matter) are serious writers. It's a triple-niche.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote