Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #211
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
IF you are Expecting Packages Del Forget it!!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...0di?li=BBnbfcL

This Sucks! They close down B&M Stores then decide No More Del...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #212
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

That for pickups from the stores only. Does not stop the stores from 'delivering' the packages to the UPS store & check them in. then the UPS stores will be making the general public mad with long lines because the clerks will be tied up checking in each package from the store.

Preferable to have the packages registered at the back end instead of the service counter.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #213
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:

It's temporary and it isn't a sanction on anyone's part. These specific retailers had previously been given capacity allocation, which they were aware of, and they went over. There simply isn't unlimited capacity in the delivery network so these limits were worked out ahead of time so that everyone could plan for them. Once that limit is hit, that's it until the delivery network gets unclogged a bit.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #214
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well in the mean time there goes every one that ordered Christmas!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #215
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Well in the mean time there goes every one that ordered Christmas!
The Wall Street Journal's version of the article has a lot more detail, and this isn't impacting things as much as the other version made it sound. A few snippets since you're likely to run into the paywall:

Quote:
Some of the shippers whose pickups were restricted said there have been some delays due to the high number of online orders but that they were managing them well.

An L.L. Bean spokeswoman said that while there have been delays for pickups at a few of its stores, UPS is “actively picking up packages from our warehouse facility and our retail locations daily.”

A Nike spokeswoman said the sportswear maker expects “the majority of these orders to meet estimated delivery dates and are communicating with consumers any changes in delivery.”

“We’re actively working with UPS to best manage customer deliveries,” a Macy’s spokeswoman said.

Delaying pickups and metering capacity is one way to prevent delivery problems later in the peak season. “They are being very disciplined in what they pick up, and that is what they need to prevent a collapse,” ShipMatrix President Satish Jindel said.

Some retailers are warning customers to shop early and expect longer delivery times this holiday season.

Abercrombie & Fitch Co. tells online shoppers to place their orders by Dec. 4 if they want items to arrive by Christmas using its standard shipping option. A spokeswoman said the early deadline is “to encourage early shopping given current challenges surrounding parcel capacity and associated delays” and the chain will reassess the date.
We knew going into this season that shopping early was going to be critical, and what UPS is doing is another sign of that. Also the WSJ article points out that UPS is doing this to prevent the whole delivery system collapsing from overload closer to Christmas.

But in short: shop early, don't wait till the last minute. And the last minute this year probably starts next week.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:31 PM   #216
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
For those of you who have a Moto E6, is the WiFi on it really slow for you, too? Mine's ridiculously slow: it took four hours to download the system update and it's been working on downloading two playlists from Spotify for the entire day. (They aren't huge playlists.) My other devices aren't slow, so it's apparently not my WiFi. I'm worried there's something wrong with it.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:36 AM   #217
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Nexus 7, iPod Touch 4, HP TouchPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
For those of you who have a Moto E6, is the WiFi on it really slow for you, too? Mine's ridiculously slow: it took four hours to download the system update and it's been working on downloading two playlists from Spotify for the entire day. (They aren't huge playlists.) My other devices aren't slow, so it's apparently not my WiFi. I'm worried there's something wrong with it.
I got the E5, so I can't really compare. I'd let the system updates all finish up before trying anything else. One of them may help the WiFi problems. There's a couple of other things you could try to see if they make a difference.

Go to your Settings app, then hit WiFi - WiFi Preferences - Advanced, then change Network Rating Provider from Google to None.

You could also try turning off Location WiFi Scanning. Go to Settings - Location - Options - Scanning - Turn off WiFi Scanning.

It could also be an issue with your WiFi router. I got a new router from my ISP earlier this year that seems to have an issue with WiFi adapters with Aetheros chipsets. A couple of my PCs that have never given me any problems connecting to any other WiFi routers can see the router but just will not connect. I ended up having to add USB WiFi adapters with other chipsets.

You should try it with other WiFi routers (I know, hard to do with the COVID restrictions) to see if that makes a difference.
bookmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #218
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I haven't had any problems with WiFi on the E6. It's a nice little device. I've yet to buy an SD card for it.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #219
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
No noticeable problems with WiFi on mine either...

Quote:
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #220
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I am holding a BIG grudge against LG, because the one LG TV I owned died almost immediately after it was out of warranty--not just died, but died somewhat spectacularly, with smoke coming out it; turned out I was not alone in having a problem with that model. It soured me on LG for all time.
I am cautious with them for TV's myself. I've had great luck with anything computer or portable air conditioning, but my brand new TV from them had the screen go out within 4 months. It was a pain to get it repaired. They required receipts and objected to the Walmart receipt I had because it did not have full store information at the top - I told them I cannot help how Walmart designs their receipts -- it was a print out from Walmart customer service since I lost the original receipt, and those look different.

Either way, they said they no longer have a repair center in my area, so I had to drive to meet their rep in the closest city, which is Sebring. One hour and 27 minute drive one way, and that's if there isn't a traffic jam on the interstate.

Their tech worked from home and did not have a property he liked people coming to, so he did all these exchanges at the local Fedex office in the front of the building. Yes, I kid you not. It's uncomfortable to have your large TV to a stranger in front of Fedex with the reassurance they really will bring it back and have you wait in from of the Fedex building again someday.

He was legit, but it took a few weeks since the whole screen had to be replaced - said it was a glitch the screen must have been bad when putting it together. With the trip distance each way calculated in, and having to return to Sebring and drive back weeks later when getting the TV, it was a trip total of driving for (I'm going to round from 1 hr 27 min to 1 hr 30), with four trips, we have to put in six hours of driving time to get the TV fixed under warranty. It's outrageous. If we didn't have a way to get up there, even though under warranty, they told us it could not be fixed because of their service of the area. And they didn't allow it to be shipped.

/rant over - but on the good side, the TV with the new screen has been going strong for years now.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #221
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I had a 55" LG go out while under warranty earlier this year. They sent me a prepaid shipping label from Fed Ex Ground and had Fed Ex pick up the TV. The only thing I had to do was box it back up. They sent me a check for the full amount I paid for the TV including the sales tax. I went back to the store I purchased it at and bought a new one. By then the price had dropped $100.00Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #222
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I had a 55" LG go out while under warranty earlier this year. They sent me a prepaid shipping label from Fed Ex Ground and had Fed Ex pick up the TV. The only thing I had to do was box it back up. They sent me a check for the full amount I paid for the TV including the sales tax. I went back to the store I purchased it at and bought a new one. By then the price had dropped $100.00Apache
Your experience was much more normal than mine. I felt like I was living in the Twilight Zone briefly with my situation.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #223
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have a small, basic non-smart LG TV that I bought a few years ago when my old CRT TV finally died (yes, I was still using an old TV with a converter box). I haven't had any problems with the LG.

I also have a slightly newer small, basic Insignia TV. No problems with the screen or actual ability to watch shows, but I long since gave up on trying to get it to remember a list of favorite channels. Favorites works for a while and then it loses them. It also sometimes forgets the previous channel if I'm trying to switch back and forth. And it doesn't have a setting to automatically switch between standard time and Daylight Savings - I have to go into the settings and change it every spring and fall.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote