Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #61
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
True enough, but then again, I've had it for a good 10 years and haven't had to replace it yet. The capacitor seems to hold enough of a charge to last the night. I wore it every day up until when the Apple Watch came out several years ago. It's a good hiking watch. As you mention, most of the watch repair places have gone by the wayside. I would guess that if it ever dies, I'll simply replace it rather than look around for someone who will replace the capacitor. It would probably be cheaper.
I gave my wife a nice watch that had a mechanical self winder. Then when she got a new Fitbit Charge 3 for Christmas, I had to get her a rocking mechanism for the mechanical watch for when it wasn't being worn.

e.g. a Rolex 3135 caliber requires 650 turns a day or 27 an hour MINIMUM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #62
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The capacitors used by watch manufacturers vary and how long they last can vary quite a lot. One brand I see a lot of only averages 4 to 5 years.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #63
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I gave my wife a nice watch that had a mechanical self winder. Then when she got a new Fitbit Charge 3 for Christmas, I had to get her a rocking mechanism for the mechanical watch for when it wasn't being worn.

e.g. a Rolex 3135 caliber requires 650 turns a day or 27 an hour MINIMUM.
I have the Casio Pathfinder (i.e. the solar powered watch) by the window so it gets sunlight on it for several hours a day. For some reason, for it to connect to the time service, I actually have to wear it at night. I think that I have a poor signal and my body acts as an antenna.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #64
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have the Casio Pathfinder (i.e. the solar powered watch) by the window so it gets sunlight on it for several hours a day. For some reason, for it to connect to the time service, I actually have to wear it at night. I think that I have a poor signal and my body acts as an antenna.
You can download a program (app) to your phone which will tell you the strength of your WIFI signal at your phone's location. If you have several it will differentiate and you choose the one you are looking at.
The one I have been using (Android) is "Wifi Analyzer."

It will analyze every signal it can detect.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #65
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
You can download a program (app) to your phone which will tell you the strength of your WIFI signal at your phone's location. If you have several it will differentiate and you choose the one you are looking at.

That watch uses WWV in the US to set its time. It doesn't have WIFI.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #66
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
You do not have to use sunlight only. You can also put it under an indoor light source to recharge.

Quote:

It is a radio signal not WIFI. The signal is easily blocked by metal roofs, other buildings, interference and even trees. Depending on your geographical area they usually auto set the time between 2 AM and 4 AM.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #67
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You do not have to use sunlight only. You can also put it under an indoor light source to recharge.

It is a radio signal not WIFI. The signal is easily blocked by metal roofs, other buildings, interference and even trees. Depending on your geographical area they usually auto set the time between 2 AM and 4 AM.
Apache
Yes, I know that it can recharge via an indoor light, but sitting it by the windows means it recharges without me remembering to turn on a light.

There is one particular location in my house that seems to get the signal from the national clock. Oddly enough, it's at the head of my bed. I have a couple of clocks that sync up and I can put them there at around 5 am (I tend to get up around then) and set it to manually sync, it will usually work. The watch doesn't manually sync.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:56 AM   #68
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Yes, I know that it can recharge via an indoor light, but sitting it by the windows means it recharges without me remembering to turn on a light.

There is one particular location in my house that seems to get the signal from the national clock. Oddly enough, it's at the head of my bed. I have a couple of clocks that sync up and I can put them there at around 5 am (I tend to get up around then) and set it to manually sync, it will usually work. The watch doesn't manually sync.

Reminds me of yesteryear in a trailer in the woods on a mountain listening to "bing bing bing "at the tone the time is ...... " bing bing bing bongggg...."

We had a 4 mile antenna of ground cable.

Now it is easier to go to:

https://tycho.usno.navy.mil/what.html

For more: https://tycho.usno.navy.mil/frontpage.html
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #69
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, CNET presents the case for the new Razr hitting the ground running:

https://www.cnet.com/news/forget-the...phone-to-beat/

Quote:

On Tuesday, the enthusiast site XDA Developers shared what were allegedly the specs for the Razr:

Main display: 6.2 inches; 2,142x876 pixels
Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 710
RAM: 4 or 6GB
Storage: 64 or 128GB
Battery: 2,730-mAh
Colors: White, Black or Gold

The display on the original Razr was just 2.2 inches. A 6.2-inch display bodes well for people who prefer small phone bodies with as much screen as possible. The processor is a curious choice. Instead of a Snapdragon 855, it's using a Snapdragon 710 which is found in phones like the Galaxy A8 and Xiaomi Mi 8 SE. It will be interesting to see how Motorola optimizes things for the processor.
Quote:

Last Thursday, XDA Developers shared some of the Razr's alleged software features. One of them is the ability to use the outside display as a trackpad when unfolded. This is similar to the One Button Nav found on some of Motorola phones like the Moto G5 Plus, which uses the fingerprint reader as a mini trackpad instead of the screen itself.

The rumors also posit that Google Assistant will be a big part of the device, and that there will be a feature to trigger it when the phone's closed.

In recent years, Motorola has a great reputation for how it uses Android OS on its phones. The software is close to stock, save for a handful of shortcuts added by Motorola.

Since the Razr isn't a "phone that turns into a tablet," it avoids the software chaos that both the Galaxy Fold and Huawei Mate X have to grapple with in order to make their devices user friendly. If Motorola shipped the Razr with nothing but Android 9 Pie and a few add-ons, it should get a warm reception.
Speaking of XDA DEVELOPERS:

https://www.xda-developers.com/motor...ware-features/

Quote:

Here’s a brief summary of some things you can do with the “closed display” based on what we know so far about the device’s current progress in development:
  • When unfolded, the “closed display” can act as a trackpad. Right now, the trackpad functionality is limited to scrolling web pages in Google Chrome and scrolling the apps timeline.
  • Up to 6 Quick Settings tiles will be displayed on the “closed display.” It’s unclear to us if Motorola will allow the user to scroll to see more tiles, however.
  • When in the camera app, the user can tap on the primary display to capture a photo, or swipe up on the primary display to zoom in. Presumably, this will help the user take selfies when holding the phone with the camera pointed toward the user. A countdown timer can also be shown through the dual screen.
  • If the user triggers Google Assistant while the phone is flip closed, then the Assistant animation can be shown if the user chooses to enable it. Otherwise, the user will be prompted to “flip open to unlock” using their password or PIN.
  • Motorola is testing having the Moto Display app show a clock, pulsing notifications, and controlling media via the external display.
  • The user may be able to have a separate wallpaper showing on the “closed display.”
More at the sources.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:50 AM   #70
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, CNET presents the case for the new Razr hitting the ground running:

https://www.cnet.com/news/forget-the...phone-to-beat/

Speaking of XDA DEVELOPERS:

https://www.xda-developers.com/motor...ware-features/

More at the sources.
Thanks for the stabilization.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #71
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the stabilization.
Sidebars are fun and educational.
And keep the thread alive while foldable news trickles in.

I just hope they're wrong about the price of the "Razr". $1500 is still way too high for my needs.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #72
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Sidebars are fun and educational.
And keep the thread alive while foldable news trickles in.

I just hope they're wrong about the price of the "Razr". $1500 is still way too high for my needs.
I like to think that it isn't just the ability to pay that stops us from doing certain things. I hope we also answer to the callings of higher angels.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #73
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I like to think that it isn't just the ability to pay that stops us from doing certain things. I hope we also answer to the callings of higher angels.
Nice to see somebody is left that admits that.
It seems to be out of fashion.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #74
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Hands-on with the Samsung Galaxy Fold: more than just a concept

Quote:
Here’s the TL;DR most of you are waiting for: it feels much more stable and polished than I expected going in, but there is still some work to be done on the software. Okay, here’s what you are really waiting for: you can see (and feel) the crease on the folding screen, but it’s really not that noticeable and perhaps worth the trade-off of having a big screen that you can fold up...

That’s how we’ve all thought of it, anyway: as a folding phone. But after using the Galaxy Fold for about an hour today, I’ve started to come around to thinking of it as a small tablet that happens to fold up...

That brings me back to that screen: it’s 7.3 inches in a nearly 4:3 aspect ratio. It gets plenty bright, and you can use it fully flat or with the Fold sort of half-open like a paperback book...

There’s also that notch in the upper right corner, which houses the two cameras and various proximity and light sensors that every phone needs. That notch does get in the way sometimes... although Samsung will allow you to hide the notch with a black bar across the top of the display, similar to its current Galaxy devices.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #75
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
can someone other than samsung or LG please make a phone in this form factor? and also lower the price so that mere mortals can afford?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote